Hostgator in a nutshell

Recep Baltaş

Trying to launch my new website, I tried Hostgator. The system did not accept my CC and gave me an error:

1701462530147.webp

So I wanted to contact Customer Support:

1701462577206.webp

I had nothing but bad experiences with Hostgator. They used to be good around 15 years ago but they went south. Their shared hosting was just as bad as GoDaddy's.

I started my forum with hostgator 15 years ago. It was good but then started going downhill.
Recently, I tried to log into my account as i was searching for shared hosting for a test forum but I can't even reset my hostgator password. It gives me an error. Hostgator sucks now

I'm with namecheap now. Haven't had any issues.

Last edited:
I bailed from them when EIG bought them out. The performance was HORRENDOUS and tech support was outsourced. They were badly overselling.

From the posts here, they're so horrendous that I'm surprised they've not gone bust

From the posts here, they're so horrendous that I'm surprised they've not gone bust
Those advertising dollarw at work and folk not really knowing better.

I'd go NameCheap well before I'd do HostGator or GoDaddy.
IF wanting a VPS (managed) DO CloudWays might be a valid way to go.

Reactions: FTL
Those advertising dollarw at work and folk not really knowing better.

I'd go NameCheap well before I'd do HostGator or GoDaddy.
IF wanting a VPS (managed) DO CloudWays might be a valid way to go.

Cloudways are now (since 2022) owned by DigitalOcean, and would not be the first on my list for a VPS.

Knownhost and Hetzner pop to mind first when I think about VPS.

Cloudways are now (since 2022) owned by DigitalOcean, and would not be the first on my list for a VPS.

Knownhost and Hetzner pop to mind first when I think about VPS.
Yes, but the point was if one is looking at HostGator... one is usually looking cheap. And managed VPS hosting from KnownHost or Hetzner is not that.... You are looking at around 40€ for the managed portion from Hetzner. I personally have their CPX31 package and maintain it myself.
Hetzner does offer Germany based shared hosting, but many don't want to their hosting limited to the EU infrastructure.
If one is not going to be doing mail on the DO droplet, then their infrastructure is just about as reliable as anyone else.

Yes, but the point was if one is looking at HostGator... one is usually looking cheap. And managed VPS hosting from KnownHost or Hetzner is not that.... You are looking at around 40€ for the managed portion from Hetzner. I personally have their CPX31 package and maintain it myself.
Hetzner does offer Germany based shared hosting, but many don't want to their hosting limited to the EU infrastructure.
If one is not going to be doing mail on the DO droplet, then their infrastructure is just about as reliable as anyone else.

Fair point - I agree.

For decent-quality cheap VPS, I would ask on the LowEndSpirit forum - and I don't think Cloudways would be the answer (could be wrong though).

Edit:
Hetzner would definitely not be my fist choice for shared or even managed VPS hosting - for the former I would opt for Veerotech or MDDHosting, for the latter I'd go with Knownhost.

Relja

Last edited:
Top Bottom