Add-on History

Lawrence

Good day all. I'm currently working on an add-on and would like some feedback or suggestions for improvements. The add-on helps you to keep track of milestones/events that have happened on your forum.

There are three types of entries that can be made:

Milestones - these are normally set automatically, but you may add your own as well. The add-on supports 7 types (if XFRM and XFMG are installed), they are:
  • members (the number of valid members that joined)
  • anniversary of the day your site went live
  • resource count
  • media count
  • album count
The above milestones are checked by cron four times a day to see if they reached that next marker, and if so, are recorded. The anniversary milestone will record a new entry every time the cron runs until it catches up to the current year.

These milestones can be edited by those with the permission, changed, reworded, etc.

Events - these entries are added by those with the permission (should normally be the site owner). Events may include the taking on of a new moderator, firing of a staff member, merging with another forum, forum being sold, etc. They are basically any event you feel has impacted your forum and want to keep track of. You can also add an event that occurs in the future, but will not display until the event date arrives.

Private entries - these are set and are view-able by those with the permission, and are meant for admins and not to be made public. Private events could be anything you want to keep track of, such as if you want to keep notes on a troublesome member or two, maintain a to-do list, etc.

All entries made, automatically or manually, are editable: entry type can be changed (ie: change an entry type from event to private, or to a milestone), date the event occurred or will occur, title, and description.

Events can be reported, except for automatic ones which can not be reported unless they have been edited. They can also be approved, unapproved, removed from public viewing, or permanently deleted.

The add-on comes with a default set of milestone markers (see screen shot), and these can be changed in the add-ons options. Each marker should be divisible by ten (see the option SS as to why). You may add more markers or just have one (depending on the size of your forum when this add-on was installed).

With the exception of the anniversary milestone, the included milestones may be removed at any time, and when re-added will pick up where they left off. If removed, any entries already recorded will not be removed from the history page, you can use the inline mod to remove them if you like.

It's still alpha, and there is a lot of little work to be done, including the sidebar. I'm not sure about the layout, especially how the title looks. The date has it's own property for styling, and I think I'll add one for the title of the entry as well.

Note that automatically entered entries do not have an avatar displayed, only manually entered entries do.

history_page.pngoptions.png

Last edited:
An update. I added a style property group for the title container, and set it to display the title as in the screen shot below, looks a lot better in my opinion, and will leave it as default.

history_page_2.webp

Hi all. I installed the history add-on on my live site for testing and demoing. On install, unregistered guests can only view normal entries, while registered members can view normal entries and report them. For demoing I set the permissions on my site for all to view private and future entries.

If you would like to take a gander and leave feedback, you can see a demo here: history

It's only alpha, so I am open to suggestions/feedback. I already noted two small issues: one is with firefox displaying the upcoming milestones, and the other is viewing attachments for guests. Both fixed.

Thank you for any feedback,
Lawrence

Last edited:
Nice. Clean layout too.

Guests can't filter by Entry type on the left even though it shows as sidenav, so have to goto filter and then select.

Nice. Clean layout too.
Thank- you, :)
Guests can't filter by Entry type on the left even though it shows as sidenav, so have to goto filter and then select.
The left side block only shows the counts for each entry type, and does not filter by them. I didn't think it was needed as the filter link is displayed on the right side. I can change it though to filter, for convenience sake, :)

The left side block only shows the counts for each entry type, and does not filter by them. I didn't think it was needed as the filter link is displayed on the right side. I can change it though to filter, for convenience sake, :)

Only suggest as most pages have this as filter link, resource manager/media manager and members..

(y)

An update:
  • added a site map to the History add-on, it respects permissions.
  • added search. History entries can now be searched. Private entries and future entries are omitted from the search results
  • users can now be mentioned in an entry. If users are mentioned in a private or future entry, and they do not have the permission to view private or future entries, they will not be notified that they were mentioned.
All that is left to do now is some minor tweaks and more testing.

Have a great day, Lawrence.

Top Bottom