Google Webmaster Tools: Chrome will Alert Users of Nonsecure Collection of Passwords

jim83

I just received this message from Google Webmaster tools:

Beginning in January 2017, Chrome (version 56 and later) will mark pages that collect passwords or credit card details as “Not Secure” unless the pages are served over HTTPS.

The following URLs include input fields for passwords or credit card details that will trigger the new Chrome warning. Review these examples to see where these warnings will appear, and so you can take action to help protect users’ data. The list is not exhaustive.

<list>

The new warning is the first stage of a long-term plan to mark all pages served over the non-encrypted HTTP protocol as “Not Secure”.
Here’s how to fix this problem:

Use HTTPS pages to collect sensitive information

To prevent the “Not Secure” notification from appearing when Chrome users visit your site, move collection of password and credit card input fields to pages served using the HTTPS protocol.

I get it. I don't use HTTPS. But will this warning in Chrome make people nervous about using my site? I'm already having trouble keeping members and increasing traffic. Now, Chrome is going to make people even more uneasy about using my site because I'm not collecting passwords securely.

There are so many free ways to move to HTTPS now why not do it? Most if not all ad networks are fully compliant with https now.

Top Bottom