[OzzModz] Google Adsense tips and visual overview of ad positions

[OzzModz] Google Adsense tips and visual overview of ad positions

Mr. Jinx

Mr. Jinx submitted a new resource:

Advertising positions for your ads - Show all the visual ad positions + some tips to get more out of your Google Adsense ads

XF 2.0 has a lot of new positions for your ads. Twenty-four to be precisely!
Below you will find visual templates to help you choose the best location for your ads.

You will also find some tips I use to monetize my forum. I would love to start a discussion over here with other forum admins to share your opinions.

Guests vs. Members

Ask your self: Do you really want to show ads to your precious members?
Your members are the people who keep your forum...

Read more about this resource...

Many thanks for sharing your experiences.

• Sidebar - Although ads in the sidebar look very good from a design point, people will ignore these ads most of the time. For me the extra revenue was not worth it. I like to only show the most effective ads. These sidebar ads are just eating space.
Totally agree with you (y)

• Post: Below message container - This one is also interesting but be careful. It can be intrusive. Therefor I suggest to only show an ad after the first and before the last post. The formula can be found in this article.
I will try this one, of course with your smart formula.

Do you have source of this conditional code here in XenForo?
count($__globals.posts) was a suggestion from Chris D. I used that part in the conditional.

The strange thing is, my ads only show randomly.
If you are using new positions then it can take some time before Google (I assume you use google) knows how to fill the ad spaces.
Another thing, is Ad Balance enabled in Google Adsense? If so then Google will only display ads when it thinks it is usefull.

1541661649543.webp

Reactions: rdn
count($__globals.posts) was a suggestion from Chris D. I used that part in the conditional.

If you are using new positions then it can take some time before Google (I assume you use google) knows how to fill the ad spaces.
Another thing, is Ad Balance enabled in Google Adsense? If so then Google will only display ads when it thinks it is usefull.

View attachment 187218
I don't recall applying this, does this mean I am using this feture> here is a screen shot from my Adsense page.

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 5.14.22 AM.webp

If you are using new positions then it can take some time before Google
I'm not using a new position, but I did update the type of ads to display which is a different code then before, 2015 vs 2018 code and it appeared the code looked different from the older yeras. Wonder if that matters.

I don't recall applying this, does this mean I am using this feture> here is a screen shot from my Adsense page.
The screenshot shows that you are only displaying 20% ads, so that must be the problem. Move the slider to 100% and click apply.

I'm not using a new position, but I did update the type of ads to display which is a different code then before, 2015 vs 2018 code and it appeared the code looked different from the older yeras. Wonder if that matters.
Using the most recent code is a good idea.

The screenshot shows that you are only displaying 20% ads, so that must be the problem. Move the slider to 100% and click apply.

Using the most recent code is a good idea.
Well I switched it to 100% a few hours ago, no change, perhaps it’s takes a bit.

That's possible, might take some time. You can check the source of the page in your browser and make sure the adsense code is there. If the adsense code is there then it really is up to Google to display an ad or not. You might want to contact them.

That's possible, might take some time. You can check the source of the page in your browser and make sure the adsense code is there. If the adsense code is there then it really is up to Google to display an ad or not. You might want to contact them.
Thanks @Mr. Jinx! I see ads now as expected in all locations!

Where do i have to put this code ?
Code:
<xf:if is="in_array($post.position % $xf.options.messagesPerPage, [0,$xf.options.messagesPerPage - 2]) AND count($__globals.posts)>4">
    <div style="margin:3px 0 3px 0;">
    ### your ad code ###
    </div>
</xf:if>

Just place it in the HTML part, where you would normally put the adsense code.
  • Admin panel > Setup > Advertising > Add advertisement
  • Posistion: 'Post: Below message container'
  • HTML code

Last edited:
Top Bottom