XF 2.2 Give a user posting rights on only ONE board in the forum.

BIG LLC

For years I have been rejecting requests to give troublesome users access to only one particular board.

They're good on their home team board, but when they go to others they are just irritating and disruptive.

Has anyone found an easy way to do this? Anything obvious I am missing?

Yes, it is possible.

Create a new usergroup.

Put the trouble makers into that usergroup.

In the usergroup permissions, remove any permissions you don't want them to have outside of the troublemaker sub-forum (such as starting private conversations).

Create a new sub-forum (node), aka, the 'troublemaker' sub-forum.

Change the node permissions on almost of your sub-forums (nodes), to disallow people in the 'troublemaker' usergroup from posting in them, except for the 'troublemaker' node.

Note that this child sub-forum cannot be the child of a parent sub-forum which the troublemaker does not have permissions to post to.

Create an alt account to test that it works as expected, by putting that account into the 'troublemaker' group.

Probably make a sticky thread in that sub-forum, to inform people what the troublemaker sub-forum (node) is about.

Relatively easy to do, just a bit time consuming to initially set it up.

And each time you create a new sub-forum (node), you'll have to remember to close it off to the troublemaker usergroup.

It's likely that the troublemakers will not use the troublemaker sub-forum, rather, quit the forum, or, evade it by making an alt account.

Last edited:
This is the biggie. 250+ boards in the forum. And there are different people we want to lock in different forums.
In that case:

Perhaps there is an add-on (or one could be developed) which quickly sets the permissions of all nodes at once for one particular usergroup (e.g. the troublemaker usergroup, such that this usergroup cannot post in any sub-forum).

Then, you can manually change the various troublemaker usergroups to be allowed to post on their respective troublemaker sub-forums.

If not, then I vaguely remember that there was/is an add-on available to clone sub-forums (for their various permissions).

You could create one usergroup which none of the troublemaker usergroups have permissions to post in, clone it 250 times, move the threads over from the original sub-forums to these new cloned sub-forums, then, change the perms on the troublemaker sub-forums to allow each respectively troublemaker usergroup to post in them.

This might be slightly quicker than my previously proposed solution in the last comment.
Or, it might be more time consuming.
Hard to say.

Last edited:
Top Bottom