Firefox: Middle-click on Image opens tab in background instead of foreground

Steffen

Affected version
Take for example this image:
Big.Buck.Bunny.-.Frank.Rinky.Gimera.png
When you middle-click it, Chrome opens a new foreground tab. Firefox opens a new background tab instead.

The issue also exists with small images which are not wrapped in an anchor element by XenForo:
CB-Logo.png

The default behavior of both Chrome and Firefox for un-linked images is to do nothing on middle-click. But in XenForo forums both browsers react to a middle-click which suggests that a click handler of XenForo's gallery is involved and can maybe be adjusted such that Firefox behaves like Chrome.

Originally reported here (in german): https://www.computerbase.de/forum/t...-aus-beitraegen-in-neuem-tab-oeffnen.1988724/

Chrome opens a new foreground tab. Firefox opens a new background tab instead.

I'm not sure what you mean by "opens a new background tab".

I'm using the latest version of Firefox (85.0.2) on Windows 10.

When I middle click your image, I see the image "full screen" in the browser in the same tab.

I can reproduce this on FF 85.0.2 on Windows 10. At first I get prompted to allow pop-ups in FF, after doing so and trying again, the image opens in a new tab (in background), but stays on the current tab.

I'm using the latest version of Firefox (85.0.2) on Windows 10.

When I middle click your image, I see the image "full screen" in the browser in the same tab.
I've just tried Firefox 85 on Windows 10 via BrowserStack: a middle-click opens a new tab as described in the first post, same behavior for both images.

What does "in the background" mean?

This is what I see in Firefox - it fills the entire tab and can be enlarged:

firefox tab.webp

With "background tab" I meant a tab that is not active, i.e. not in the foreground.
Okay. That's definitely not happening for me but I have over time customized my Firefox settings quite a bit to suit my preferences, including not opening most links in new tabs or new windows, so maybe that's why.

Using Firefox 85.0.2 on Windows 10. When I click the image, the image gets to the foreground in the browser and the topic into the background in the same tab.
However, it produces the little > charachter right and < on the left side, so when I click djbaxter's image, and I click the > then I can switch to Steffen's picture. Same on the left side.

If that is not what you mean, then I'm out. ;)
But Firefox is not opening other tabs. Could it be an addon causing this new tab behaviour?

But Firefox is not opening other tabs. Could it be an addon causing this new tab behaviour?
It used to be an option - I think I set it years ago on the about:config page - but it's certainly possible that recent versions of Firtefox have made it the default behavior.

You mean opening new tabs? In that it would be happening to me too which it isn't. No new tabs opening here.
No I meant it used to be an option that I set years ago to prevent opening new tabs. I was suggesting that newer Firefox versions may have made that default behavior. Nothing has changed for me.

Top Bottom