Implemented Easier updates?

jjff

Hi everyone. Why doesn't Xenforo have an easy update facility? Or does it?

Wordpress, which is a free software package, has a feature where it can download the latest update and unzip it in the right place.

Does Xenforo have plans to implement something similar? The domain name is set in each user's account at Xenforo central, so Xenforo can know who has paid for updates and who can download the latest version. This should be an easy check from a webservice called from a possible update section of the admin panel.

It's a matter of downloading a ZIP and unzipping the right folder into the forum installation. Then calling the right hooks for database evolution.

When done directly from the admin panel this would be fast and easy.

Right now I'm away from the office, uploading 4000 files in the latest security fix via my slow home connection and I thought if Wordpress can have a simple update why can't XF?

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Also it should be noted you don't need to do a full upgrade to get a security patch, you only need to add the affected files, in this case one.

Also it should be noted you don't need to do a full upgrade to get a security patch, you only need to add the affected files, in this case one.

Oh that's interesting. Is this done by hand? How do I know which file? I used the upgrade package only from the downloads. Sorry if it's a stupid question :)

Man that's gona be great. This FTP routine is so 1990's.

Oh that's interesting. Is this done by hand? How do I know which file? I used the upgrade package only from the downloads. Sorry if it's a stupid question :)

Generally the file(s) will be attached in the announcement thread,

They also tell you which file(s) are affected, so you could just upload the file(s) from your zip.

Top Bottom