Double checking disaster recovery ?

vinnymickey

I am in the process of building a WP site with Xenforo within HTML_public. Everything is working awesome and me and my host was thinking of doing a strategical restore to see if all is well with our backup plan Incase of a disaster in the future.

I spent weeks to get where I am and honeslty would love to know if backups for restore are good and correct. My questions will be: would this be a wise choice to test this now better than finding out it doesn’t work in a year from know and lose everything? Should I know anything about restoring with Xenforo rather than just a WP site eg...database or file structure in backups?

TY for any advise or tips?

I would make sure that you have your own backup plan, and don't rely on your host.

Thats another issue I never did restores myself. I am using backdraft and successfully doing backups via google drive.

I just never did a restore myself. I been with this host for years and they successfully did a few restores for me on another site. Therefore i was asking them if all looks good with my new site. They asked if I wanted to try a strategic restore to test.

Ty for input... think my host restore protocols will be the same even tho I added Xenforo?

This is *your* site and your hard work. You don't want to risk losing all that because some host backup process got hung up and failed to run for months. The risk of that might be low, but it's certainly not zero. So back everything up, on your own. Use UpDraft for WP, and I'm pretty sure there are addons for xF.

Interesting I am totally new to this and never even attempted a restore.
Will updraft and server cpanel backups include Xenforo in your opinion?

Will all be included in my host one click restore?

I been reading some threads on here about this topic and It truly is confusing :(

Wish we can find a simple one click solution!

Curious does Xenforo have a paid service for backup/restore or even to log in and setup or check our member permissions eg...paid membership/upgrades?

Interesting I am totally new to this and never even attempted a restore.
Will updraft and server cpanel backups include Xenforo in your opinion?

Will all be included in my host one click restore?

Full cpanel backups will include everything...your entire account. If the s*&^ hit the fan and your host/datacenter were down for an extended period, you could actually take that backup to another cPanel host, and be up and running again in a matter of minutes.

Always, always, always have a at least a couple backups of your site. Do not ever rely on the host's backup.

Please have patience with my novice questions. Therefore in cpanel I should do a full backup correct?

From what I understand we cannot do a full restore via cpanel only a transfer. Therefore we should take partial backups also correct?

I also see updraft seems to only take contents inside wp_content folder not taking over folders from home_html...

Recall cpanel full backup and partial and I should be safe correct?

TY so much

You are correct on all counts.

You cannot restore a full backup yourself. Your host would have to do that for you. But at least you have a backup that can restore your entire account. Or like I said, you can take that to any cPanel host in the event you need to move somewhere else.

Under the partial backups, yes, you want a copy of those too. Take a home directory backup and backup of all your databases from that section. Those can all be restored yourself.

As long as you are taking those backups regularly, you should be fine.

Top Bottom