Do we really need the title on the front page?

holder10

Hi,

I've always wondered why there is the page title in really big letters on the front page / forum list.
It's always just the name of the site - but the name of the site is already in the header, the logo.

2010-08-21_2219.webp

In my opinion, the title there just takes a lot of space of the most used site in any forum.
Sure, it makes sense because the title is needed on any other site. But it just takes a lot of space, doesn't look good and is unnecessary on the front page.

Or is there any other reason I missed?

Cheers,
holder10

h1 tag but if you don't want it you can easily remove it in the templating system.

If you do choose to remove it, i commend you because you chose User Experience over SEO which most of us won't, like me lol

Yes, yes yes!!!

I love the idea, and have even implemented on my own vB3.8 site, there's a title on every page.

Dunno if it helps SEO or not, but it looks bloody good!

Actually, I'm asking this because I'm planning to make themes for XenForo.
On my themes for other forum softwares, I've always removed the title there. I wondered whether I should do so with XenForo as well, but I figured I could just mark it as a suggestion as this is still an alpha and quite open to suggestions. :)

Regarding SEO: You should make sites for users, not for search engines. Sure, you can optimize the site - but placing big, space-taking elements on your site for SEO would be weird.

Hope I can replace "xenForo Community" with "My(what ever) community" or set it blank

Actually, I'm asking this because I'm planning to make themes for XenForo.
On my themes for other forum softwares, I've always removed the title there. I wondered whether I should do so with XenForo as well, but I figured I could just mark it as a suggestion as this is still an alpha and quite open to suggestions. :)

Regarding SEO: You should make sites for users, not for search engines. Sure, you can optimize the site - but placing big, space-taking elements on your site for SEO would be weird.

If you're styling it, do it whatever way you feel is best for your styles. No one says you have to have it there, or anywhere at all. ;)

Hope I can replace "xenForo Community" with "My(what ever) community" or set it blank
Why would you think you'd be stuck with that title on your own installation? :confused:

Nope. You and every other customer will be forced to name your forum "XenForo Community". :p :D ... Of course you can change it! :p
It has user purposes as well. Every thread has a title, so why shouldn't every page? Not everybody is forum savvy (or even Internet-savvy) yet - we still have a couple of generations to go before that changes - so, some people can easily get lost. Well, not literally lost, but unsure of what they're looking at or where on the site they are.

h1 tag but if you don't want it you can easily remove it in the templating system.

If you do choose to remove it, i commend you because you chose User Experience over SEO which most of us won't, like me lol
I'm not even sure removing it has a positive effect on U.E., but I would probably remove it and place more useful content there (specific to our site). Otherwise things might get too cluttered.

Hi,

I've always wondered why there is the page title in really big letters on the front page / forum list.
It's always just the name of the site - but the name of the site is already in the header, the logo.

View attachment 1132

In my opinion, the title there just takes a lot of space of the most used site in any forum.
Sure, it makes sense because the title is needed on any other site. But it just takes a lot of space, doesn't look good and is unnecessary on the front page.

Or is there any other reason I missed?

Cheers,
holder10

it is because of screen-reader.

Top Bottom