Developer License?

asprin

I'm a member of a community that uses Xenforo. Being in the field of web development, I have been meaning to get into addon/plugin development of Xenforo.

Is there a provision for a separate license to build and test my addon on the Xenforo platform? I'm assuming there must be some kind of a debug/development environment for Xenforo because $140 seems too much for someone who is only interested in building addson and not using the forum as a live site.

And therein lies my problem.

Well there's no developer license but you would have many uses for the product. Let's say you wanted a site to host and sell your add-ons, support forum for your customers, etc. It would be extremely useful so you would be the benefactor of buying one. XF2 is releasing soon and is going to be available to users with an active Xenforo 1 license. I'd reap the benefit of that. Good luck though. I can understand a developers perspective in choosing to buy or not but I think you'd be getting your money's worth with Xenforo 2 access I really do.

If you're contracting for someone, or wanting to sell premium add-ons, the cost of a license will easily repay itself.
That's the thing. I intend to learn how to build add-ons but to do that I will need Xenforo software. And that's the reason I was inquiring about a not-so-complete license but some sort of a license which will give access to the add-on development section and be able to test those add-ons.

That's the thing. I intend to learn how to build add-ons but to do that I will need Xenforo software. And that's the reason I was inquiring about a not-so-complete license but some sort of a license which will give access to the add-on development section and be able to test those add-ons.
It's worth a $140 investment into XenForo. You highlighted selling premium add-ons, the cost of a license will repay itself fairly quickly.

You can get a 2nd hand license on many sites for as low as £50 ($66). I got one of mine for around £50 (slightly less, I think). That's less than half the price for a brand new $140 XenForo license. Keep in mind, if you go down this route, you will need to transfer a license properly according to the terms. XenForo don't allow account sharing, or giving your account away. But yeah, a single license transfer is allowed and if you shop around you can get a fairly decent deal on one.

You could install one on localhost. Of course you would need a license in order to download Xenforo.
What are the limits for such localhost installations?
I mean, can 2 or more developers working on the same plugin use one localhost installation each?
Assuming it's not even facing outside of the developer's computer.

Top Bottom