(delete please)

I'm pretty sure there is. Although honestly that might turn me off as a site visitor.

Best way to get people to register is to get some good threads going that people want to participate in.

Although honestly that might turn me off as a site visitor.
A notice that shows for lurkers based on amount of time they've been on site to encourage registration could be good?

Forced registration I fear would cause people to be turned off and might just cause registered lurkers which is another problem.

A notice that shows for lurkers based on amount of time they've been on site to encourage registration could be good?

Forced registration I fear would cause people to be turned off and might just cause registered lurkers which is another problem.
I removed the post before you posted, so sorry for that. I don't know, I see it as a method to convert lurkers to members, but it might put off other users, like you mentioned. Although I think people who lurk will eventually register at some point, why not lend them some help. People who read one or two posts from your forum would not be put of as they would not run into the restriction, but would also have less chance to convert to a registered user.

As an Internet user myself, 95% of the time when a website has a huge pop-up to force me to register results in me leaving the website and not returning.

As an Internet user myself, 95% of the time when a website has a huge pop-up to force me to register results in me leaving the website and not returning.
There's a difference between an immediate pop up or a pop up / registering notice after 10 or 20 reads.

Top Bottom