XF 2.2 Custom Thread Feld combine dropdown selection with text field

Mr Lucky

I want users to make a selection either from preset options for choice files OR a text box as a kind of "Other, please specify" field.

I could do this with two fields (one dropdown and one text), but only if neither were required because I want to require the user to either choose drop down or write what they want - but must be one or the other.

Does anyone know how I could achieve this?

Thanks

Seems like it may be done similar to a question i had as to if there could be conditional fields, so that one choice from field 1 could be "other" and that would trigger field 2 to be required (other wise it would be hidden) and field two would be a text box. wew see this so often, there must be a know way.

Have you looked at simply having a field 2 text box be there all the time and a final option for field 1 being "Other, please specify below"?
Is the issue folks not filling out the text box?

I'm not experienced in Xenforo, so I'm just pondering with you

Kirby

This is not possible out of the box.

You most likely could achive this with a template modification for macro custom_field_macros::custom_fields_edit_textbox:

Check the field ID and if it is the desired field display a <select> with the desired options above the textfield, add JS to update the the textfield value if an entry is selected

Code:
<xf:if is="$definition.field_id == 'my_field_id'">
    <select class="field_select input" onchange="$('#{$refId}').val($(this).val())" style="width:auto;margin-bottom:10px">
        <option />
        <option value="Foo">Foo</Foo>
        <option value="Bar">Bar</option>
    </select>
</xf:if>

Not nice nor recommended, but should work.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/cv6-custom-field-extension.194853/ gets pretty close to work for your usecae, but needs some tweaks (as suggested in https://xenforo.com/community/threads/cv6-custom-field-extension.194853/post-1586360) to do what you want.