Choice to have article author "about blurb" shorter than the profile about

Mr Lucky

Having author "about blurb" under an article is great, but a lot of users like to have quite a bit of info in there on the profile.
Often it's a bit too much under an article, especially with shorter articles it can get out of balance

(see here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/test-article.184608/ )

It would be nice if the author can have a separate shorter summary version that you could configure in account details.

Upvote 13
Just looked at a story I posted on my dev site's article forum during testing and, yeah, even the fairly short, poetic blurb I have in my About You seems a bit much for an article footer, partly due to formatting (Italic and a larger than normal font size). Hadn't even picked up on that earlier.

It would be nice if the author can have a separate shorter summary version that you could configure in account details.
Great suggestion.
Or, perhaps instead, the option to set a snippet length for the Author About. Just like we do for article lengths in preview/expanded views.
I think making it a snippet of the existing profile About field instead of adding an additional field would be less confusing and duplication.

Great suggestion.
Or, perhaps instead, the option to set a snippet length for the Author About. Just like we do for article lengths in preview/expanded views.
I think making it a snippet of the existing profile About field instead of adding an additional field would be less confusing and duplication.
Yes, that would work for me, I was actually going to suggest it as an alternative - yes it is simpler.

Either way solves the problem

This could look pretty ugly in some instances yes.

I'm not sure a snippet works because then on pages 2 and beyond you have two "click to expand" snippets (the pinned post and the about me).

I would prefer an "About the author" field since people are likely to add different info here anyway, if they are writing tutorials etc. A set or recommended length setting.

Last edited:
But that would most likely be a field no one filled in, however it could appear when formatting the post and carry over each time allowing edit (affecting all posts).

Last edited:
Another vote for this one. I'm working on the new "Article" type with an older site and realized that on my own 'About' section I have an embedded image showing just for some fun. Well, long story short, the entire thing shows up in the footer of the article! Whoops!

It was never an issue before because that section only showed up when viewing somebody's profile, now that it's being used in other places having a text-only 'bio blurb' would work much better versus the full-blown bio.

I have the opposite question to pose - i don't have a profile so i did a test post:

looks kinda meh... and it also shows my age, which tells everyone i'm an old geezer. I'm not sure that's a good idea. I have it enabled in my profile, but i think it doesn't belong on an article.

a newspaper byline is more targeted even if a wiki profile of that person would show their birthday.

Top Bottom