Lack of interest Bulk resend activation link

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Alpha1

It would be very useful if it was possible to send out activation links to all members awaiting email confirmation. For example by the use of a {activationlink} placeholder in /admin.php?users/email

The email users interface allows us to review the email addresses before sending so that would work great.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This would be a bad idea unless there are cutoff dates that can be applied and a place for any bounced emails to be reported to just for that process.

Also there is the GDPR to consider. Say you have a site that caterer to people in the UK. Now you might have 3000 people that are members awaiting email confirmation.

Now you send out this mass email and 1000 of these people hit you back with the GDPR garbage asking you for everything you have on them and to also delete their account. Makes for the possibility of way too much headache and trouble IMO.

A better system would be to re-email the confirmation link after a week, then again after a month, then if not confirmed after a month after the second email, delete the user.

Last edited:
My request is not for an automated process, but a manual one. Automatically resending an activation link is a good suggestion. IIRC I posted it once. What I am suggestion is a different use case.

Our email service was interrupted. Over the decades we have had times of email interruption for one reason or another. So during that time the new members do not receive their activation and there is no way to repair this.

The email users interface has cuttoff dates. For this use case there is no GDPR to consider. People have simply requested to join and never received the email they want.

There should be a way to repair this by sending out an email with activation link to members who registered between date X and Y. The only part missing in the functionality is the activation link.

Which it is not, so that's a moot point for this suggestion.
If there is an interruption of email service, then automated email would also not arrive.

If your email server is down or interrupted during the initial email being sent, then again a week later and then again a month later when the emails are to be resent, you need to seriously rethink how you send emails.

Your argument does not apply to the situation. I will explain:

There are many reasons why email service can be interrupted at the sender, the service or the email domain. It simply happens over the year. For example we had a 1 month interruption because of two situations:
  1. Email servers leak your IP address and therefore the host had to block email to protect from ongoing DDoS.
  2. We switched to an new email server and it took a month to regain reputation. Therefore specific email domains did not accept email during this time.
This is just two of many things that can and will happen over the years. Email delivery is complex.

But as explained above: Unfortunately there is no automatic resending. I wish it was, but until then your argument is based upon a fictional situation.

I wish it was, but until then your argument is based upon a fictional situation.

This will be my last reply to you.

Fictional or not, IMO an automated sending process is better than a manual sending process as you suggest.

@Alfa1 The thing here is anyways, I would stick with the automated one since it would be only cronjobs running the manual process. In other words, if there was an automated way, you could simply manually run the cron. Or vice versa, if there was a manual way, you could automate it with a cron and a simple logic improvement.
So essentially imho this is the same suggestion, if I have not missed anything.

There should be a way to repair this by sending out an email with activation link to members who registered between date X and Y. The only part missing in the functionality is the activation link.
One possible work around I can think of.... Use the standard ACP Search for Users to get your results set. Then work through each one, and using the https://xenforo.com/community/resources/reset-password-from-acp.1318/ add-on, reset their password, thus emailing them a password reset link which, should they action the email, also activate their account at the same time?

It concerns thousands of accounts. Doing them one by one is not feasible. I used to do stuff like that all the time, which got me CTS. Thanks for trying to find a solution though.

Top Bottom