XF 2.0 Broken permissions after import

Sysnative

Hi all,

After importing from vBulletin 4 into XF2, we've found all of our usergroups are unable to post in the respective forums. It looks like everyone can see the correct forum, but no one has "create thread" permissions.

As we have a very large number of forums, we're trying to find a way to fix this in bulk - is there any way for us to do this easily? How have others gone about fixing forum permissions after imports?

The current forum is a test development forum that we're using to prepare for our switchover to XF2 in a few months time. Is there a way for us to setup all of the correct permissions on the test site and then import them over to the correct site once the final import happens? e.g. - can we export tables from the database and replace the permission database tables on the day of the final import?

Thanks for any help!

Go to ACP -> Users -> Find User (or however it's called) -> Search for any user who can't write.
Then have a look what the primary group is for the imported users. It should be Registered and nothing else.
That's the most common mistake I've seen so far.

If that's not it, go to Analyze permissions (or however that's called) and check which User Group is blocking the permission.

The importers do attempt to reproduce the permissions as best they can, but sometimes the source data can result in incorrect results, which is why we always say that permissions must be checked after importing.

There is no easy fix - you will have to check and correct any incorrect permissions at the user group and node level, as required.

Is there a way for us to setup all of the correct permissions on the test site and then import them over to the correct site once the final import happens? e.g. - can we export tables from the database and replace the permission database tables on the day of the final import?
It would be possible but it would be quite involved and you would have to make sure there is no orphaned or incorrect data.

In general we say that imports must be done as a one shot operation from start to finish, and replacing tables from previous imports is not something we would recommend, or be able to support, in the case of any issues.

Okay, thanks for the info.

So in this case - I've analysed my permissions at node level. What's blocking me from thread creation in this node?

1538410926605.webp

I was under the impression that the controls are additive, so that No for one usergroup is fine as long as you have Yes for another, or am I misunderstanding what the screenshot shows?

Attachments

• 1538410817424.webp
    1538410817424.webp
    11.7 KB · Views: 5
Hmm - maybe not - a lot of user groups are set to be "Inherit" and Registered is set to "No". The parent category node was set to "Inherit" for the admin staff group as well.

I was surprised as some forums seem to have the correct posting perms, others not.

I've been checking node perms and there is a common error with the Post New Thread permission.

Category: Admin usergroup has this perm set to Yes.
Child forum: Admin usergroup has this perm set to Inherit

Result is the admin usergroup is unable to create new threads in the forum. The node analysiser looks like the previously posted screenshot when this happens - I can't find any nodes with perms set to "Never".

The fix I've found for the above scenario is:
Category: Admin usergroup has perms set to Yes.
Child forum: Admin usergroup has perms set to yes.

This then allows new thread creation, but this seems like it's incorrect based on how perms are meant to work? Is there a different setting I'm missing?

Top Bottom