Bots

If the site is still accessible, my guess is they will continue to try./

Instead of assuming they will just go away, take measures to block them.

If your URL is live, even just pointing at the inactive board page, they will come. They aren't that smart, really, just programmed to search the Internet for certain things and then act on them. If they haven't been programmed to detect and remember whether a board is "live" or not, they will probably keep checking. And as soon as you reopen, they will be back. As @djbaxter say, taking measures like IP blocks or add-ons that detect and block bots are about the only way and even that can turn into a game of whack-a-mole.

I will say that after blocking certain IP blocks per a thread on here, my "Guests" has gone down to the point where there are often fewer of them than, say, search engines' robots (which I'm cool with having, obviously).

I will say that after blocking certain IP blocks per a thread on here, my "Guests" has gone down to the point where there are often fewer of them than, say, search engines' robots (which I'm cool with having, obviously).

Can you post link to that thread?

Can you post link to that thread?

Probably this one,

I would block via Cpanel or htaccess. I use Cloudflare now and seem to have better results also. My traffic is lower now but more quality.

Top Bottom