Border-radius, Javascript or Images what's your take?

Border-radius, Javascript or Images?

• Javascript

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • images

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well, that ain't going to happen that quickly I'm afraid according to the w3schools browsers statistics Internet Explorer is one of the most popular internet browsers today covering more than 30%+ of the market.

Out of that 30% a good 8%+ is still using version 6!!

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_explorer.asp

Exactly my point .. give in to the legacy support, and therefor indirectly showing a sign that you are willing to continue to support it. Or stop giving legacy support, and therefor directly showing a sign that you are wiling to support and prefer modern technologies.

As long as those 8% do not feel any pressure or reason to upgrade, they won't.

As long as everybody thinks they are a reasonable marketshare to keep supporting, that marketshare has no reason to shrink.

Exactly my point .. give in to the legacy support, and therefor indirectly showing a sign that you are willing to continue to support it. Or stop giving legacy support, and therefor directly showing a sign that you are wiling to support and prefer modern technologies.

As long as everybody thinks they are a reasonable marketshare to keep supporting, that marketshare has no reason to shrink.
However, most of the USERS of that 8% have no option. Liz

However, most of the USERS of that 8% have no option. Liz

I still strongly disagree to that opinion. A hospital, government or otherwise willing to compromise the integrity of their system, heck, even their network, by allowing the atrocity of IE6 to run - while there is important, to be guaranteed secure, and sensitive data on the system/network .. is going to cost them more than hiring some smart kid to update the browser, or additionally install a free alternative. If they have that behavior, they don't deserve the modern Internet experience; They deliberately choose to stay behind. Ergo: Accept that modern sites have at least the core functionality working, and if they go home and browse on their recently new system with a recently modern browser, that it will be the full experience. Why spend money paying the web designer and developer for extra hours, additional graphic design hours, etc, and compromise every other modern solution, for those who cling on to fail, misjudging their business model or believing they can't update.

A financial corporate machine, a government intranet, or hospital patient system, .. etc .. should not even be allowed to be on the public network with such outdated -lack of- security .. solutions powering those boxes.

I understand others have a different view on that. I call them the <table> people. Sorry.

I used to use graphics for rounded corners, but moved away from that and only use border-radius now. I don't use Javascript unless absolutely nescessary, and to use it to make rounded corners for IE to me is not nescessary. When I create a style I normally do so viewing in IE. When I'm satisfied with how it looks in IE, I then "pretty" it up for those users using more modern browsers.

I believe the real problem is mostly with Corporate business' not so much government...although they have this issue also and mostly it is to do with applications they have that are only usable by IE6 - at least that is how it has been explained to me previously :)

I was looking at doing a job a while ago, and it involved bringing a very deadly serious App up to date in the UI a little bit and introducing CSS.. as this App, which is still currently used had absolutely none, and was only usable by IE6 without a total rewrite, as this App is so incredibly sensitive and critical when it is used, and is almost constantly in use, it was hard for the Authoring company to change that without significant risk.

Whilst that might be an extreme example, there are many more, some banking and finance apps etc.

As long as everybody thinks they are a reasonable market share to keep supporting, that market share has no reason to shrink.

I for the most part avoid doing any special fixes for IE6, however the issue with all the pretty CSS stand with all versions of IE other than the upcoming version 9.

On the other hand I have been working as a freelance solidly for the last 8 years doing all sort of websites and lot's of my business come from corporate clients and you won't believe the strict guidelines that I have to work under and 9 out of 10 times it will include support for ie6.

However, most of the USERS of that 8% have to work with no option. Liz

Agree with you on this one, at least in Australia, most government department and corporate clients that I have worked with are all on IE6 and 7 if they are really advanced! Which is still a very scary amount of people

As long as everybody thinks they are a reasonable market share to keep supporting, that market share has no reason to shrink.

Floris 8% is a huge market share is you consider that Safari is only taking a 3.5%+ share of the pie and Opera 2.3%+ and Chrome is finally reaching 16%+

In the forum designing business is a different story.... CSS can do the job and most users will be happy with progressive enhancements.

Win XenForo we can even add on/off switches with themes to allow the end users to decide between css and images :)

The current markup (if it doesn't change in the final version) it's perfect to do both css and images without having to change 1 line of code in the templates.

Code:
<div class="nodeInfo categoryNodeInfo categoryStrip subHeading">

<div class="categoryText">
            <h3 class="nodeTitle"><a href="#official-forums.1">Official Forums</a></h3>

</div>

</div>

I still strongly disagree to that opinion. A hospital, government or otherwise willing to compromise the integrity of their system, heck, even their network, by allowing the atrocity of IE6 to run - while there is important, to be guaranteed secure, and sensitive data on the system/network .. is going to cost them more than hiring some smart kid to update the browser, or additionally install a free alternative. If they have that behavior, they don't deserve the modern Internet experience; They deliberately choose to stay behind. Ergo: Accept that modern sites have at least the core functionality working, and if they go home and browse on their recently new system with a recently modern browser, that it will be the full experience. Why spend money paying the web designer and developer for extra hours, additional graphic design hours, etc, and compromise every other modern solution, for those who cling on to fail, misjudging their business model or believing they can't update.

A financial corporate machine, a government intranet, or hospital patient system, .. etc .. should not even be allowed to be on the public network with such outdated -lack of- security .. solutions powering those boxes.

I understand others have a different view on that. I call them the <table> people. Sorry.
While I agree with your sentiment...the bottom line is that I know at least TWO of the top 10 of the largest corporations in the US are still using IE6. And those same two are two of the largest 25 in the world. They are GE (which includes GEHealthcare) and AT&T. 

Liz 

My answer to this when I first saw vB4 is, my god we really do need to fix those curves in IE because it looks great in FF and awful in IE. However I'm pleased to say that xF actually looks fine with squared edges in IE, I can certainly live with it. So, I would vote to stick with how it is now. I do think this is all down to specific designs and sites, some work well in IE and some don't. Those that don't could indeed do with a backup plan B (images).

As someone mentioned above, just because things are curvy now doesn't mean they will be next year. It does seem to go in phases :) Maybe triangles will be the "in thing" in 2011, or luminous colours!!

Again... who cares about the corporate networks really? Most have now installed an alternative browser such as Firefox in conjunction with the existing IE6.

I don't personally understand why they still use it, when networking allows for simultaneous batch upgrading overnight and those who try and state that its security, then that is a poor excuse, as the security holes in IE6 far exceed security issues in the current release.

It is the same old, same old, debate... IE 6 backward design. Me personally, I don't support it and don't use this 10% + nonsense excuse to support it. If 10% of the world jumped of a cliff, should the other 90% follow?

Again... who cares about the corporate networks really? Most have now installed an alternative browser such as Firefox in conjunction with the existing IE6.

I don't personally understand why they still use it, when networking allows for simultaneous batch upgrading overnight and those who try and state that its security, then that is a poor excuse, as the security holes in IE6 far exceed security issues in the current release.

It is the same old, same old, debate... IE 6 backward design. Me personally, I don't support it and don't use this 10% + nonsense excuse to support it. If 10% of the world jumped of a cliff, should the other 90% follow?
Gotta agree here - for me it's simple
Times call for change...
it's about time.

While I agree with your sentiment...the bottom line is that I know at least TWO of the top 10 of the largest corporations in the US are still using IE6. And those same two are two of the largest 25 in the world. They are GE (which includes GEHealthcare) and AT&T.

Liz
A shame that just a malformed cursor in a web page, and inviting a GE employee to visit it, can help one gain full administrative access to their network. I am sure they spend a few hundred thousand just to prevent that. A shame, they could have used it to update IE6 to IE8.

Top Bottom