Be the one to ask the questions

beerForo

"Why is my forum dead?"
"Why is nobody talking?"
💡
Be the one to ask the questions! Engage your memberbase!

"What are you working on today?"
A great idea for a mega-thread that can be updated daily.

Ask specific questions for your niche even if you know the answer. Create new threads. Don't wait for activity, create it.

Also, create controversy related to your niche. Mustang vs. Camaro, etc.

Or blunt statements like:
"I hate pizza." You know the next response is "How the **** can anyone hate pizza?"

Boom! Engagement.

Last edited:
a good point, well made.
I'm just going to try the pizza one as an exercise. While my business related forum is quiet due to lockdown.

Creating garbage content surely is the way to create more... garbage. New users come for content, they stay for content and relationships.

Thanks for proving this case study by engaging.
Space Cat Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Creating garbage content surely is the way to create more... garbage. New users come for content, they stay for content and relationships.
I wouldn't say every "give us your opinion" post would be garbage content... If you have a community that is at least somewhat engaging, or at least somewhat invested into growth, than you'll likely get some valid opinions and conversation going.

I really only see it being worth it for a mid to large forum, and one that is still somewhat active and has not completely fallen off with user engagement.

Also, create controversy related to your niche. Mustang vs. Mustang Mach-e, etc.
Fixed that for ya... 😁

My oldest discussion board, aside from one forum that is really active, is mainly regulars who have been around for several years or, like a few of us, dating back to 1996 and 1997 when the site had its humble beginning. There are only so many ways to discuss the same topics, and there are days the forum feels stale.

We recently had a member rejoin us after several years and he's been on a tear, posting new threads and polls that compare and contrast a few items. They've been popular, and it's gotten everyone talking again. With all the extra discussions, it makes us look busier as well.

I usually end my articles with a request for participation (asking the questions, in other words), so that is helpful also.

Top Bottom