Ban by Hostname [Deleted]

Snog

Snog submitted a new resource:

Ban by Hostname - Ban hostnames from registering on your site

This add-on will block HOSTNAMES from registering on your site.

While this isn't the preferred way to block registration, it has it's uses and is effective.

Registrations are blocked in the following order..

1) If the IP Address is the same as the HOSTNAME (must enable option to activate)

Example: If the IP Adress is 111.111.111.111 and the hostname is 111.111.111.111 the user will not be able to register.
2) If the HOSTNAME supplied by the IP Address is in the list...

Read more about this resource...

Yeah but it's less files lol.
Yeah, but my way is free.

I don't mind suggestions, and I've looked at domainapi.

I can find no place to register for the username and password that are required to access the API. I can find links to different departments, including a 'sales' department. That leads me to believe there is a charge for using the API.

I could be wrong, but gaining access appears to be hidden or has a cost. There aren't even instructions on how to get a username/password from them anywhere on the site.

Yeah, but my way is free.

I don't mind suggestions, and I've looked at domainapi.

I can find no place to register for the username and password that are required to access the API. I can find links to different departments, including a 'sales' department. That leads me to believe there is a charge for using the API.

I could be wrong, but gaining access appears to be hidden or has a cost. There aren't even instructions on how to get a username/password from them anywhere on the site.
Oh I thought it was free. My bad!

I just realized something that might be a problem for some people.

DO NOT put a space between the comma and the hostname/word you want to ban.

I'll release an update that strips any stray spaces once it's been out there a while and people have had a chance to use it.

Can you add domain extensions as an option? Like all .RU email addresses? All of my users are American, so anyone with a foreign email is most likely a spammer or spambot.

Can you add domain extensions as an option? Like all .RU email addresses? All of my users are American, so anyone with a foreign email is most likely a spammer or spambot.
This doesn't ban by email address, it bans by hostname. There's a difference between those two. If a hostname is banned, they won't even get to the registration page to enter an email address.

If the .ru is in the hostname you can already do that. Put .ru in the list. But that could also ban a host that's named 'red.ruby.com'. Unlikely, but still possible.

I have a lot hosting bots such as softlayer.com that seem to browse up and down the site.

For example

5.10.83.51-static.reverse.softlayer.com

So I added softlayer to just block anything with that in there. Seems to have no affect.

I have a lot hosting bots such as softlayer.com that seem to browse up and down the site.

For example

5.10.83.51-static.reverse.softlayer.com

So I added softlayer to just block anything with that in there. Seems to have no affect.
They can browse, the mod stops them from registering.

This really should be extended with the option to ban by hostname (as the title suggest)
Actually I ran nearly a year long test doing what you suggest on my vB site using the vB version of this mod, and just recently killed that option.

Everything was running as expected until I checked some pages on Google. Evidently Google uses other server hosts to spider pages. I had several pages showing the message 'The system you are using is not allowed to view this site' in Google. When I saw that, I immediately killed the option since I had no idea which host Google was using.

Beside that, checking every IP that visits your site becomes very server intensive and could eat up precious server resources. Without a fairly powerful dedicated server, that could be a major issue.

Top Bottom