XF 2.2 Article threads - do not want about tab from profile in author bio

cwe

I was experimenting with article threads for the first time today. I noticed that it includes the about tab info as part of an author bio under the article.

Is there any configuration option to disable that? Or would I need to do a template edit to do this?

I was experimenting with article threads for the first time today. I noticed that it includes the about tab info as part of an author bio under the article.

Is there any configuration option to disable that? Or would I need to do a template edit to do this?
A template edit, I would think. There aren't many configureable options for the format of articles.

Reactions: cwe
I found a template named: post_article_macros and lines 169-177 are:
Code:
            <xf:if contentcheck="true">
                <div class="message-articleUserAbout">
                    <xf:contentcheck>
                        <xf:if is="$user.Profile.about != ''">
                            {{ bb_code($user.Profile.about, 'user:about', $user) }}
                        </xf:if>
                    </xf:contentcheck>
                </div>

It looks to me like I could either delete these lines, or add something to extra.less for the message-articleUserAbout class? I don't code much with CSS, so I'm not entirely sure how that works. What are the pros and cons of using a template edit vs. CSS (extra.less) edit?

I found a template named: post_article_macros and lines 169-177 are:
Code:
            <xf:if contentcheck="true">
                <div class="message-articleUserAbout">
                    <xf:contentcheck>
                        <xf:if is="$user.Profile.about != ''">
                            {{ bb_code($user.Profile.about, 'user:about', $user) }}
                    </xf:contentcheck>
                </div>

It looks to me like I could either delete these lines, or add something to extra.less for the message-articleUserAbout class? I don't code much with CSS, so I'm not entirely sure how that works. What are the pros and cons of using a template edit vs. CSS (extra.less) edit?
Template edits could cause issues in future upgrades is a con on that side. At the very least, you'd have to resolve a template conflict. I would tend to look at the CSS approach first and see if you can get it to work that way.

FYI, if you do edit the template, I would not delete the lines, at least not to start. Comment them out. That way, you can rollback easily. And try in a test/dev environment first if you have one. Even the extra.less method should be tested first. I hate messing with my user's heads by trying out stuff in live (mostly, sometimes I get cruel and delight in it 👿)

FYI, if you do edit the template, I would not delete the lines, at least not to start. Comment them out. That way, you can rollback easily.
It really makes no difference.
Reverting the template will restore the original content either way.

There's no overriding pro or con to editing the template or using CSS - they each have them.

The main difference is editing the template will remove the content completely, even from the page source.
Using CSS just hides it on the rendered page - it's still available in the page source.

Top Bottom