Anyone else getting tons of messages from their hosting provider always pressuring to upsell hosting plans…?

I’m using HostPapa and bought a year of this plan:

IMG_1528.webp

Ever since I started they been pressuring me to upgrade to the most expensive plan one step above my plan:

IMG_1529.webp

They even shut down my site for a day to pressure me and their reasoning is that XenForo is using too much resources and not fair to others on shared hosting plans like mine even though I’ve never had any issues and have less than 100 members that don’t post much…here i their official reason plus they threatened to shut me down again or limit my resources for my foruum:

IMG_1530.webp

IMG_1531.webp

IMG_1532.webp

IMG_1533.webp

Of course I don’t understand any of their tests and results etc all I know is my forum running fine on the plan I on and I told them I’m not upgrading to which they said they’d shut me down…

Does anyone else know of other low cost hosting options I can try if they shut my forum down…?

A semi-active Wordpress site is more resource intensive than your small-medium size XenForo (unless you have badly coded add-ons).

I would take backups, and see about getting a refund once you find a new host to go to.

A semi-active Wordpress site is more resource intensive than your small-medium size XenForo (unless you have badly coded add-ons).

I would take backups, and see about getting a refund once you find a new host to go to.
Thanks man any suggestions on where I could move hosting to…? Which are reliable and inexpensive?

As you are using shared hosting, you have no experience with configuring vps or bare metal server? I would suggest this option, in that case you have full control of it, but without knowledge i would not reccomend to go with this option.

So if not, here also was users who offered hosting. Get backups and move out.

As you are using shared hosting, you have no experience with configuring vps or bare metal server? I would suggest this option, in that case you have full control of it, but without knowledge i would not reccomend to go with this option.

So if not, here also was users who offered hosting. Get backups and move out.
Move to private hosting from individuals not companies…? Seems bit risky if they suddenly stop hosting for whatever reason…but I’m willing to consider it if it a lot cheaper than the bigger companies…and yeah HostPapa says my account is shared hosting…

Leave them ASAP.

I would suggest Hetzner but it depends on your specific needs and physical location (you want hosting relatively close to your users).

Leave them ASAP.

I would suggest Hetzner but it depends on your specific needs and physical location (you want hosting relatively close to your users).
Ok thank you I’ll look up Hetzner…North America would be closest…guess I could ask some Mastodon Instances/servers how much theyd charge me to host my sites too…

Yikes... yeah i would leave them straight away and grade them on trustpilot.

As for a really good one that is cheap, look up stella hosting on namecheap. It is great.

Pretty standard for cheap shared hosting, a lot of shared hosting is just a loss leader for the more expensive plans. Their whole business model is they get you on board with $5 hosting and then after a while try and get you onto one of the more expensive hosting they wanted you to have in the first place, and they make it quick and easy to upgrade so it's less hassle than moving.

Not surprising. It happens in other businesses so why not web hosting. Mine has been pretty good about stuff like that. They completely rejigged their price structure when they finally got VPS options up and running but so far have grandfathered my shared hosting plan so I'm still paying the same rate as before the restructure. Not even an email pointing out the benefits of switching to one of the new packages. I forget now what it would cost if I moved to a current shared plan, I just know it's an increase.

(Of course, communication is not their strong suit. They moved us to a new server and switched administration from cPanel to DirectAdmin and I only found out because I opened a ticket after not being able to get into cPanel to investigate a problem with my dev environment, which turned out to also be related to the move.)

Might be an idea to reply and then block their emails. Telling them not to scam you. Telling them that you're migrating to a better place that treats their clients with respect.

Yikes... yeah i would leave them straight away and grade them on trustpilot.

As for a really good one that is cheap, look up stella hosting on namecheap. It is great.
Might be an idea to reply and then block their emails. Telling them not to scam you. Telling them that you're migrating to a better place that treats their clients with respect.
Thank you I’ll look into that company and yeah I want to block them but they suspended my site when I didn’t reply so now I have to tell them repeatedly I’m not changing plans every time they claim I’m using too much resources…

Not surprising. It happens in other businesses so why not web hosting. Mine has been pretty good about stuff like that. They completely rejigged their price structure when they finally got VPS options up and running but so far have grandfathered my shared hosting plan so I'm still paying the same rate as before the restructure. Not even an email pointing out the benefits of switching to one of the new packages. I forget now what it would cost if I moved to a current shared plan, I just know it's an increase.

(Of course, communication is not their strong suit. They moved us to a new server and switched administration from cPanel to DirectAdmin and I only found out because I opened a ticket after not being able to get into cPanel to investigate a problem with my dev environment, which turned out to also be related to the move.)
Someone on Mastodon told me to try VPS too…but none of us know about running servers…is there a lot of differences running from VPS and from shared hosting where I am now?

Try IONOS I've been with them for over 25 years on their shared hosting and had only a couple of outages in all that time. They also do not bombard you with emails encouraging upgrades; it's up to you what you want and how much you want to pay. Give them a once over and see if they will fit the bill. The link below is for the US site but they serve the world, so see if there is a branch near you.

My three sites are running off their shared hosting - links are in my signature.

is there a lot of differences running from VPS and from shared hosting where I am now?
It is totally different thing, You have virtual server and have to have installed and configured everything.
Option would be to buy vps service, pay someone who can install and configure everything for you and then just use it if have no experience.

But still i would suggest to you better to have managed/shared hosting if you have 0 experience in configuring. Your sites doesnt seem to have such big traffic/size.

Last edited:
Try IONOS I've been with them for over 25 years on their shared hosting and had only a couple of outages in all that time. They also do not bombard you with emails encouraging upgrades; it's up to you what you want and how much you want to pay. Give them a once over and see if they will fit the bill. The link below is for the US site but they serve the world, so see if there is a branch near you.

My three sites are running off their shared hosting - links are in my signature.
Wow $1/month is cheap I’ll check them out for sure thank you🍻

It is totally different thing, You have virtual server and have to have installed and configured everything.
Option would be to buy vps service, pay someone who can install and configure everything for you and then just use it if have no experience.

But still i would suggest to you better to have managed/shared hosting if you have 0 experience in configuring. Your sites doesnt seem to have such big traffic/size.
Thank you yeah my site is not busy at all that’s why I was suspicious when they say I using too many resources…I’ll have to stick with shared hosting as you said🍻

It's not just members of your forum--search bots have been known to hammer sites and drive up resource usage substantially. I had an issue last week where a bot from China was hitting a busy forum so hard that when we figured out what was happening and blocked them in the firewall, the visitor count dropped by 1500 in a matter of about 10-15 minutes. Our host saw many bursts of accesses all at once, which was nearly causing us a denial of service attack. (It's a site we have not yet set up to use with Cloudflare.)

It's in the terms of shared hosting agreements that resource usage be within a certain amount. That said, they are not really suitable for something as resource intensive as a forum, especially when traffic ticks upward. Decades ago when I was on shared hosting, I occasionally had sites taken offline due to abnormally high resource usage. It was not pressure to upgrade--it was simply to keep our shared server neighbors from suffering the loads of one customer (us). So they are well within their right to suspend service, especially when the load of one site affects all the other customer sites on the same server.

Some shared hosts offer more generous allowances. I admin a really busy forum that runs on a dedicated server but otherwise, I run a group of sites and forums across three Droplets at Digital Ocean. So I really can't help recommending another host to move to.

Top Bottom