AdBlock Detected Tracker & Statistics

AdBlock Detected Tracker & Statistics [Paid] v1.4.0

No permission to buy ($15.00)
After installing, not sure it's working. Logs should fill up immediately, no?

arn

Yes, assuming you have a busy website.

Any thoughts on how to get it working or debug it?

The template replacement looks like it should work. But I'm not seeing it on my pages. Also doesn't work with Xenforo's default theme.

Edit: Here are my settings too:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 11.22.46 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 11.22.46 PM.webp
    7.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 12.17.22 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 12.17.22 AM.webp
    78.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I use ad-block and find it disgusting that web owners try to make money off of ads which are actually conditioning people to act certain ways, eg buy things. Please find income that goes straight to you such as by accepting Pay Pal, or use a platform dedicated to it such as Patreon. Let people who love what you do send you funds directly. Don't use people because it's convenient.

Any thoughts on how to get it working or debug it?

The template replacement looks like it should work. But I'm not seeing it on my pages. Also doesn't work with Xenforo's default theme.

Edit: Here are my settings too:

I figured it out. Apparently "Do not track known crawlers/bots" needs to be checked. If it's not checked, it won't work. This seems like a bug.

I use ad-block and find it disgusting that web owners try to make money off of ads which are actually conditioning people to act certain ways, eg buy things. Please find income that goes straight to you such as by accepting Pay Pal, or use a platform dedicated to it such as Patreon. Let people who love what you do send you funds directly. Don't use people because it's convenient.

I get your point; I think all of us wish advertising didn't exist and the trillions of dollars spent on advertising every year went towards healthcare, feeding the poor, saving the planet, etc. Not to mention all the talented intelligent people that work on advertising instead of other "more important" issues.

However, given we live in reality where advertising is a trillion dollar industry and helps the machine go round paying budgets and allowing many services to exist (Facebook, Google, Small website and niche markets), people using these services for free using adblockers could be viewed as selfish. If advertising was shut down in this fashion a lot of the services you enjoy using would no longer exist.

I'm actually on your side, but that's just me arguing the other side.

I figured it out. Apparently "Do not track known crawlers/bots" needs to be checked. If it's not checked, it won't work. This seems like a bug.

I'll look into it this weekend - hopefully that's not the case but I'll take your word for it and make it a priority.

Thanks for letting me know.

Reactions: arn
I get your point; I think all of us wish advertising didn't exist and the trillions of dollars spent on advertising every year went towards healthcare, feeding the poor, saving the planet, etc. Not to mention all the talented intelligent people that work on advertising instead of other "more important" issues.

However, given we live in reality where advertising is a trillion dollar industry and helps the machine go round paying budgets and allowing many services to exist (Facebook, Google, Small website and niche markets), people using these services for free using adblockers could be viewed as selfish. If advertising was shut down in this fashion a lot of the services you enjoy using would no longer exist.

I'm actually on your side, but that's just me arguing the other side.

I mostly find it rude due the situations being as the following: "Hello, come enjoy my space" when they should be: "Hello, you may come enjoy my space how ever, in order to enjoy it you'll have to give some of your attention to our advertising partners, so you must consent to doing so before entering."

If a website is open freely, then I'll use it freely and not participate in ads. Otherwise, the web host needs to take responsibility and state that it isn't actually free. That goes to all the services (Facebook, Google, etc) that are passively generating income off data collection as well.

So, I'm a little disappointed you put in time to support doing more things silently rather than facing the issue head on with contacting the users.

Maybe, you would consider adding an option to display a banner to users who have been detected using ad blockers, that's a more kind thing that some mainstream websites have started doing.

Fair enough, first I've heard anyone request the feature.

Plain truth is, by using the Internet you're consenting to your ISP following your traffic, by using your cellphone you're consenting to others tracking your calls, and in many cases, not only listening to every conversation, but also recording those conversations forever. Email, the same. Visiting websites, the same.

This will sound passive aggressive, but I'm being serious, if you want to make a difference, aim at some low hanging fruit and obvious points of contact, not a tiny addon on xenforo.

With respect, I politely excuse myself from further discussion on the topic.

...Currently Alpha while I consider packing in other updates for the actual 1.2.9 release.

Figured I'd post a couple small recommendations since you are tweaking the add-on.

There are a few cases where the buttons and/or button icons aren't exactly clear.

For instance...
1) buttons1.webp

Even though the "Reset" button is on the same line as search it is much closer to the "Clear log" button and can be a little confusing, especially if just installing the add-on. Possibly renaming to "Reset Search" would be more informative. Also, out of curiosity, is there a confirmation after clicking "Clear Log" or does just a single click clear it? If a single click does clear it, it would be nice to throw a warning.

2) buttons2.webp

The "Delete Entities" button has the same icon as the reset button. This is confusing especially when the icon it probably should have is the one right next to it being used for the "Always Ignore Entities". I would recommend moving the trash icon from "Always Ignore Enities" to the "Delete Entities" button, and place the user-slash icon on the "Always Ignore Entities" button.

3) buttons3.webp

Again the reset icon is used, it would probably be better to have just an arrow-left or arrow-alt-left since you are going back to the previous page.

I know these are mostly trivial, but I think they will help new users of the add-on a little when getting started.

@bzcomputers thanks for the thoughtfulness. I've included most everything you recommended, mostly with better wording and the removal of icons which are more misleading and confusing than helpful.

I've also made the "reset" an actual "reset search", which doesn't actually reset any selections made in the "Order by" and "ASC/.DESC", and only resets searches made on user id or username. I think this is more inline with what one would expect when resetting the search.

Brilliant, been hopeful something like this would come along for many years! Thanks a lot.

I'm hoping it'll allow the moving to a usergroup that limits guest views (so 'Using Adblock? You get 10x views with adblock before you need to disable')

I'm hoping it'll allow the moving to a usergroup that limits guest views (so 'Using Adblock? You get 10x views with adblock before you need to disable')

The problem with your thought, if I'm reading it correctly, is that "guests" cannot have usergroups in Xenforo. The only usergroup associated to a guest visitor is the "Unregistered" usergroup.

Hello,

I would like to notice you something strange I have noticed.
When clicking on "Adblock tracker" inside the left Menu, it opens the correct page.

But one this page is open, the selection is not any more on "History" but on "Tools" in the left ACP menu.

1577732870808.webp ---> 1577732902045.webp

I believe it should stay on "History".

I hope you understood m explanations.

Greetings and thank you.

Nils

Top Bottom