AdBlock Detected Tracker & Statistics

AdBlock Detected Tracker & Statistics [Paid] v1.4.0

No permission to buy ($15.00)
This is definitely better, I'm looking at about 40% blocks with guests... fortunately my actual user base doesn't run AdBlock software nearly at the same percentage (suspect it's due to being nagged to turn it off).

I chose not to nag guests until after they register (didn't want to lose subscribers before they find the forum helpful). I guess I prefer membership over adverts, which I think, long term, makes more sense for our community.

It'll be interesting to play with settings between this and anti-AdBlock to find a happy medium.

Note, robots are detected and ignored, I should probably put that in the outline so people are aware.

Really liking the capabilities of this add-on, the data it collects and the way it is presented.

Right now to me one of the best pieces of information is being able to see members in the tracker who go from blocking ads one minute to not blocking ads the next. This informs me they are staying and shutting off there ad-blocking for the site after seeing the ad-block warning from your other app - AdBlock Detection [anti-AdBlock]. After that you can see the current detects for that member sit at "1" and non-detects continue to climb. Proving not only did they stay after turning off their ad-blocker, but they are staying for awhile.

The one current limitation to the tracker right now is I can't get this same data displayed currently for guests. I like the way guests are consolidated under a single row in the current tracker, it is informative and nice to be able to see the totals for guest detects and non-detects quickly. It would be even better if we could also see guest tracking expanded (possibly in another tracker spreadsheet). That way we could see if guests were doing the same thing (turning of ad-blocker and staying). Right now that isn't possible, but I believe the data for this may already exist.

This additional tracking information would be informative in showing if ad-blocker warnings are actually running guests off or if most will turn it off and stay (like I'm currently seeing from registered members). This additional tracking data would also allow us to tweak our ad-blocker detection settings (how often it shows, delay to show, etc.) and see how it affects guests and their retention on the site, since guests will always be the higher percentage of visitors who are blocking ads.

Last edited:
Right now to me one of the best pieces of information is being able to see members in the tracker who go from blocking ads one minute to not blocking ads the next. This informs me they are staying and shutting off there ad-blocking for the site after seeing the ad-block warning from your other app - AdBlock Detection [anti-AdBlock]. After that you can see the current detects for that member sit at "1" and non-detects continue to climb. Proving not only did they stay after turning off their ad-blocker, but they are staying for awhile.

I'm finding very similar. I'm also a little shocked at the percentage of guests that are adblocking (I don't have guests being nagged to turn it off). My statistics are almost exactly 50% of people adblocking, whereas for my actual users, who do get nagged, only 3%.

My site has really valuable and helpful content for a very targetted group of people. They simply can't find this information elsewhere, so having 50% of guests adblocking is rather frustrating given the costs to run the site properly. Typical content provider first-world problems, but still, it's a little annoying to say the least.

The one current limitation to the tracker right now is I can't get this same data displayed currently for guests. I like the way guests are consolidated under a single row in the current tracker, it is informative and nice to be able to see the totals for guest detects and non-detects quickly. It would be even better if we could also see guest tracking expanded (possibly in another tracker chart). That way we could see if guests were doing the same thing (turning of ad-blocker and staying). Right now that isn't possible, but I believe the data for this may already exist.

I definitely agree with you, I'm curious myself. It's been suggested to track by IP... cookie's would work well too, or a combination of both (or selectable by the admin how they wish to track this).

I definitely want to get this done but it'll take some time. The reason guests are "global" right now is because none of that currently exists, it's simply tracking guests as "user_id = 0", which was simple and quick to implement when someone requested it.... however, after seeing these results on my community, like you've seen on yours, I'm super curious to see what you're asking too. So, give me some time and I'll get it done.

I'm still shocked it's 50% of my guests :( I was thinking maybe 30% at best.

It is nice to see that my actual registered users support the site though, at least most of them. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

This additional tracking information would be informative in showing if ad-blocker warnings are actually running guests off or if most will turn it off and stay (like I'm currently seeing from registered members). This additional tracking data would also allow us to tweak our ad-blocker detection settings (how often it shows, delay to show, etc.) and see how it affects guests and their retention on the site, since guests will always be the higher percentage of visitors who are blocking ads.

Yeah, I think it's a fine line. I leave crappy sites pretty quick if I can just find the information elsewhere where I don't get nagged. However, like my community, and other sites that have particular information, I'm quick to turn my adblocker off if it's good content I can't get elsewhere.

I guess what forum owners have to figure out for themselves is, are you offering something unique? If so, nag them. If not, maybe it's better to wait to nag until they're regular users of your forum.

I think over time, and with these statistics, I'm starting to get a nice happy-medium of not annoying, but gently massaging users to turn it off.

However, like most sites, a good chunk of my actual page views are guests, not registered users.

I think I'll wait to nag guests until there's better tracking so I can actually see what's happening. I want people to get the information they need, I don't spam advertisements, so a little support encouragement would be nice.

...I'm still shocked it's 50% of my guests :( I was thinking maybe 30% at best.

I do show the ad-block warning to guests currently and have been for awhile (about 4 months). I'm sitting at 9% of guests detected with ad-block running (this being just a couple hours of data). Currently can't tell if it's higher percentage initially and they are shutting of after getting here, or they've whitelisted us because they've been here before, or what maybe the reason is. I think 9% is a pretty good number but how many did I scare off to get to that? Maybe soon I will be able to track it :)

Thanks for all the work on these ad-block add-ons!

Wutime updated AdBlock Detected Tracker & Statistics with a new update entry:

v1.2.3 - Independent guest tracking + updates

• Guests are now tracked independently by IP
  • Added option for recording guests by IP (renamed previous guest tracking option)
  • Added indexes to sortable columns
  • Added IP
  • Removed unused 'clear log' options
  • Updated language in part
  • Added ability to list by Global, Guests, Users
  • Added 3x charts for (Global, Guests, Users)

Read the rest of this update entry...

Wutime updated AdBlock Detected Tracker & Statistics with a new update entry:

v1.2.4 - Finally, guest view tracking

• Added option for recording guests by IP (same option as previous, re-worded)
  • Added ability to list by Global, Guests, Users
  • Added charts by Global, Guests, Users
  • Added indexes to sortable columns
  • Added IP (varbinary)
  • Added IP index
  • Removed unused 'clear log' options
  • Updated language in parts
  • Set defaults to 2 and 2 for role swapping (you can use what you like)
  • Reset all current guest views (things will reset on install)
  • Numerous other improvements and...

Read the rest of this update entry...

How is adblock defined? Someone who has adblock or using it to browse the site?

Reason I'm asking is that my site blocks registered users from using ad block by way of an annoying popup...but I still see around 3% users browsing with adblock. Surely they aren't dismissing the popup that they have adblock on, and going to next page and doing it again and again.

Type of ad block used would be valuable insights.

Bug in v.1.2.4: Tracker Charts for Guests and Global appear the same (identical numbers with active member traffic on site). Assuming Global is suppose to be a combination of both Guests and Members/Users it is not working as intended.

Let me first say this add-on is already giving my information I've never had before in running different forums for 15 years. I'm still thinking of new ways I can use the data to not only profit more but to make for an overall better experience for guests and members alike.

After the latest changes here are a couple of my thoughts and requests...

Request 1: Add the ability to see actual IP address for guests. Possible by hovering or clicking on the guest username in the tracker.

I have already come across a couple interesting guests show up after just a few minutes of tracking. These guests are showing multiple detections in a short amount of time. Knowing that adblock detector is also running I find it hard that, for example Guest_966 below, would visit 83 pages in a few minutes. I'm pretty sure it would almost be impossible for a human to click through as many pages as quickly as they showed in the tracker. I'm thinking it is likely a bot and if I could see the IP it would be one way to possible track that down.

guests.jpg

Request 2: Add the ability to clear detections for individual users or guests. The majority of user detections showing in my stats are from my own testing which is hundreds of tests over the last couple of days. This is skewing the stats and right now it appears there is no easy way of clearing just my own username detections. Then, if I run into a guest like 966 above and track it down to being a bot, it would also be nice to be able to clear its' detections so they also don't skew the stats. Which then leads me to the 3rd request...

Request 3: Ability to ignore guest/IP. If a guest/IP is showing up commonly with unusual stats it would be nice to be able to clear and disable stats for that guest/IP in the future. Not looking to ban them from the site but just ignore them in the detection tracker (or place them in a completely different tracker, but that would probably be overkill).

Edit: Just in the time it took to write this Guest_966 is now up to 180+ current detects.

It definitely wouldn't be hard to have a quick ignore list accumulate, but i think once crawlers are removed/hidden or whatever, it might be a moot feature.

With the latest update I was able to identify the bots that were loading up with hundreds if not thousands of detects. They were mostly googlebots in the 66.249.69.2xx range.

detects.webp

FYI, If you're testing and trying to identify the bots/crawlers just manually submit a new sitemap. I've seen the numbers jump fast and hard from search engine bots/crawlers right after submitting a new site map.

Bug in v.1.2.4: Tracker Charts for Guests and Global appear the same (identical numbers with active member traffic on site). Assuming Global is suppose to be a combination of both Guests and Members/Users it is not working as intended.

You were absolutely correct - this has been fixed in v1.2.7

Request 2: Add the ability to clear detections for individual users or guests. The majority of user detections showing in my stats are from my own testing which is hundreds of tests over the last couple of days. This is skewing the stats and right now it appears there is no easy way of clearing just my own username detections. Then, if I run into a guest like 966 above and track it down to being a bot, it would also be nice to be able to clear its' detections so they also don't skew the stats. Which then leads me to the 3rd request...

You can clear the entire log by "guest", "users" or "everything".

You can also delete individual entries. Deleting will delete the entry but allow it to be re-tracked in the future if the guest or user re-visists.

Request 3: Ability to ignore guest/IP. If a guest/IP is showing up commonly with unusual stats it would be nice to be able to clear and disable stats for that guest/IP in the future. Not looking to ban them from the site but just ignore them in the detection tracker (or place them in a completely different tracker, but that would probably be overkill).

You can now send any user or guest to an ignore list. They'll disapear from view and won't be included in statistics/charts.

@Wutime , the console is grumbling about an unexpected token ) here:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript">$(document).ready(function(){if(!document.getElementById(btoa(window.wutabt))){XF.ajax('post','/wutime-adblocktracker/9/1',{},XF.proxy(this,'handleAjax'),{global:false})}else{(function(){if(){XF.ajax('post','/wutime-adblocktracker/9/1',{},XF.proxy(this,'handleAjax'),{global:false})}else{XF.ajax('post','/wutime-adblocktracker/9/0',{},XF.proxy(this,'handleAjax'),{global:false})}},{:,:})}});</script>

;)

Top Bottom