Add-on A simple request: Open external links on XF 'modal'/overlay style.

deslocotoco

My request is very simple:

I want a add-on that give a option (for default) to open external links inside the Forum, using the modal, commonly seen on notices and confirmation options on XenForo.

I don't know if we need some kind of iframe option to make this work, but i think this is possible.

I use a lot of RSS feeds to catch news of many sites, and, for copyright purposes, i can't post the content, just the headline.

So, i want the external links to open in a very simple modal, with a "X" option to close the modal after accessing the content and go back to the Forum.

Can be done?

What's the cost? Developers, please remember that you guys can sell this idea after developed and i can fund this for a good market price.

Thank you very much for your attention.

BTW, i don't want to own any copyright on this. You guys can do whatever you want to the license.

And guys, please, try to not overprice this development. In this financial chaos created by the chinese virus my revenue on my Forum dropped like 90% and you guys can sell the product after all.

This is a little urgent request if anyone is interested.

@palhanow Interesting idea. Are you envisioning this to kick in automatically for all external links or only for ones you specify (by using a custom BB code or similar)?

@palhanow Interesting idea. Are you envisioning this to kick in automatically for all external links or only for ones you specify (by using a custom BB code or similar)?

Indeed my friend. All external links should open in this 'modal'/overlay, with a "X" to close to back to the Forum, and in the end of the modal, the link to the external site, if the user want to go there, leaving the Forum.

I'm really need this add-on for my global domination plan 😈😈😈

Indeed my friend. All external links should open in this 'modal'/overlay, with a "X" to close to back to the Forum, and in the end of the modal, the link to the external site, if the user want to go there, leaving the Forum.
I have to admit, I'd be more interested if it was only for certain URLs (using a BB Code or something else) instead for all of the external links. That way I can envision doing the same thing, of having incoming RSS feed links in the post shown in the modal, but if I was to do it for all external links I think most of the community members on our busier site would quickly be yelling at me, especially mobile users.

I'm really need this add-on for my global domination plan 😈😈😈
🤣 How's it coming along so far?

Last edited:
I don’t understand what this means
If I understand what tackk is saying, the modal you get when marking forums read is onsite, it's not loading anyone elses 3rd party page. If it did, it would be a frame to them, and many sites block such requests.

Helpful from google:

The X-Frame-Options is used to prevent the site from clickjacking attacks. It defines whether or not a browser should be allowed to render a page in a <frame>, <iframe>, <embed> or <object>.

Why not lynx/curl the page live and show the results in a nonindexed, nocrawl permission based* iframe? ToS or copyright violation if done and nothing modified?

No one can offer a solution for this request?

No way, for real?

I just want a add-on that can open the links contents inside my Forum, not going out of my site.

If is impossible, ok. That's life.

Top Bottom