1&1 warning

Marc

Hi Guys,
Just a quick heads up for 1&1 cloud server users. Yesterday my site was down for over 6 hours and I could not access it any other way than through the vnc connection to ssh. Was told everything was fine there end and therefore it must me my end.

Now I dont profess to being an expert in setup, however I am learning and had changed nothing. As far as I was concerned I had everything setup securely and optimised well. But since Im new at it I spent all that time working through all the different things it could be, even to the point of completely removing all settings from the IPtables in case the service wasnt shutting down correctly and much more.

After a while I shut off the firewall on 1&1 on the off chance that could be the cause, even though I hadnt changed anything on that since the initial setup of it. I found this to be the cause of all the problems and absolutly nothing to do with server setup. Now bare in mind I had already rang them 4 times for advice, I was told when ringing to inform them that they have an issue with it (ie its blocking everything rather than what I tell it to) they informed me that there are a few customers having problems with it and they have been looking at it all day. Needless to say I was extremely annoyed at not being told.

So just a word of warning to people. If your having similar issues and your sure you havent done anything to cause it, your sure your server isnt being attacked etc etc. Try switching off their external firewall as your next port of call rather than messing with anything else as it may well be them.

Don't use 1&1 in general. I am unfortunately stuck in a contract with them and cannot get out. They tend to continue to bill you after you "cancel" your account but fail to notify you of this via email or any other means then put a delinquencie on your credit. SO sadly I am trying to find a way out with One: lost my domain & everything and two: not randomly getting a bad hit on my credit several months later. Edit: To add to this there has been over 100+ cases of this reported so it's not something I made up ;)

Don't use 1&1 in general. I am unfortunately stuck in a contract with them and cannot get out. They tend to continue to bill you after you "cancel" your account but fail to notify you of this via email or any other means then put a delinquencie on your credit. SO sadly I am trying to find a way out with One: lost my domain & everything and two: not randomly getting a bad hit on my credit several months later. Edit: To add to this there has been over 100+ cases of this reported so it's not something I made up ;)

Only been with them a month and to be honest other than this bad communication not had any problem with the service in general. In fact to the contrary Im quite happy with its performance. Was just extremely annoyed at hours of work for what amounted to be something I should have been told, and had I been then it would have been back online in mins.

Yea I am happy with service. It's mainly the support that blows and of course the worry of all those reports for if you leave.

1&1 are as useful as an inflatable dartboard. I took my main sites away quite a while ago because of their bonkers 100mb max database size (now increased) on anything but dedicated servers, but my current gripe is they never bothered telling me my £29.99 a month package could be changed to one costing one third as much and with more features. Nope, they just happily kept charging me for an old hosting package.

Don't get me started on their tech support!! Really you might as well pick a random phone number from a phone book and ring it for help.

Contact your support I had problems with fasthosts which is owned by the same company as 1&1 I had to contact citizens advice in the UK.

What firewall are you using on your server? I recommend CSF that's what myself uses.

Using plesk inbuilt plugin firewall, was using 1&1's external (ob not now) and a decent iptable setup (I hope lol). Will certainly be takin a look at that though cheers.

1&1's external is limited in the number of ports you can open, and you have to configure it carefully, but it should be OK for normal use.

The problem with 1&1, and I know some people there (interviewed their CEO twice on my tech radio show), is that they have a very rigid structure that works fine until you do anything that strays beyond that structure. Then, trouble arises.

Tech support is adequate for dedicated, but not for shared and other services, where they use their own Level 1 facility in the Philippines.

1&1's external is limited in the number of ports you can open, and you have to configure it carefully, but it should be OK for normal use.

Understandable, however the problem is that the firewall was simply not working. Even the open ports that were working without issue previously were being blocked due to an issue their end

Top Bottom