XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see some designers come up with new homepages for XF2.

If designers are looking for an instant hit, then come up with a new way to present content that promotes user activity, is responsive, and also caters to Google standards for SEO.

Generally speaking no. (There are some minor differences when it comes to indexation of string columns and their lengths. This isn't hugely common though.)

I've just checked out the XF2.0 demo site. And I've read that most of you like the new flat design. For me that's a bit too simple and therefore ugly. Actually it is worse than vBulletin 4 in my opinion, sorry! :D

I'm not a big fan of flat designs. When I became interested in community forums in 2009 the most beautiful designs were not flat! I don't know what's been changed. XF1's default theme is wonderful. XF2, in just my opinion, awful. XF2 is too simple. Are we back in the early age of the internet? Eeverybody prefers flat design.

I also work with websites and used many templates from Themeforest because earlier they were good and unique. Today, all templates on Themeforest are flat and have basically the same look. (and more expensive...)

also work with websites and used many templates from Themeforest because earlier they were good and unique. Today, all templates on Themeforest are flat and have basically the same look. (and more expensive...)
Its just the current design trend, which may or may not change in a few years. Just like how in 2011 border radius and gradients were quite a thing. It is just what the majority of the consumers prefer and majority of the sofware provide, anything different and it looks "old". The minority who don't like it (as design is after all, personal taste) can design one they like themselves for their community or have someone do it for them. The default theme caters to the widest audience range with the widest device and browser support out of the box.

I've just checked out the XF2.0 demo site. And I've read that most of you like the new flat design. For me that's a bit too simple and therefore ugly. Actually it is worse than vBulletin 4 in my opinion, sorry! :D

I'm not a big fan of flat designs. When I became interested in community forums in 2009 the most beautiful designs were not flat! I don't know what's been changed. XF1's default theme is wonderful. XF2, in just my opinion, awful. XF2 is too simple. Are we back in the early age of the internet? Eeverybody prefers flat design.

I also work with websites and used many templates from Themeforest because earlier they were good and unique. Today, all templates on Themeforest are flat and have basically the same look. (and more expensive...)
I get this, but I don't get this. What looks good is subjective, but take some of this into consideration:
  • the XF1 design is overdone. Want to make your own design? Have fun spending a couple hours stripping gradients and all the other junk included in the default template
  • it looks outdated. Whether you like it or not, flat is the new trend. Most developers will go with current trends
  • gradients + border radiuses + tons of shadows doesn't make a site unique. I can make a gaudy, crappy looking site right now with all of that and call it "unique", which brings me to my next point...
  • very few people who use gradients and all that manage to do it correctly, or in a way that looks nice beyond its current time. It's pretty hard to screw up with flat/pastel colors, simply because they can't go out of style. Windows XP had all of that. Did it look great in 2001? Hell yes! Does it look good now? Hell no!
Gradients and all that are like chroming your wheels and door handles. It's unnecessary and just looks gaudy. Yes, it can look good. I thought IP.Board 3.4.x executed the look very well without being overdone. But the fact of the matter is, a good majority of people don't, and it needed to die for that reason.

Let's also remember that we're in 2016, where mobile devices are making up an increasing amount of web traffic. Loading thousands of different styles with thousands of different gradients and other somewhat unnecessary styling only serves to slow down page load times and is detrimental to the user experience. It was okay for all of this back in 2007, when everyone had a big bulky desktop with an unmetered cable internet connection.

Yep, you can probably blame it mostly on mobile devices. It reminds me of what you see a lot with video games, where you so often get games that don't look (or play) as good as they could on PC because developers have to make sure they're also playable on under-powered consoles. :)

After 131 pages of discussion on this topic, I'd like to begin here with
'Great work xf Team!! 2017 looks promising already.' :love:

I just saw the demo of XenForo 2, and to tell the truth, I thought it was a joke.

Visually, it's horrible, I really feel like going back in terms of evolution, it reminds me vBulletin at the beginning.

I really hope that the style will evolve because currently ...
I come back on my deposits, they were a little hard.

I code seems solid, and updating styles seems possible (with a lot of work of course)

The team of developers seems to take into account the advice of the members, it is very positive, congratulations to them.

The aesthetic aspect also evolves, better, hope that it continues.

Development seems very promising in any case :)

What I like about PHPbb 3.1:

• Basic clear forum look
  • Open source
  • High performance, fast!
  • Flexible

What I like about XF 2:
  • Modern
  • Much more ajax powered functions
  • Live notifications
  • New editor
  • Powerful search

Regarding design I like phpBB 3.1 style much more. It is clear and basic.
Thanks for posting about that. Considering what it is, it appears to actually be very highly regarded from my research, relatively speaking. Can you also say anything about its admin and management features?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom