XF 2.2 StopForumSpam and DNSBL checks for guest posts

EchoRomeo

XF checks a user's IP address against the StopForumSpam and DNSBL databases, which is great and has been really helpful at flagging spammers at registration. Is there a way to apply these same checks to guest posting if you have guest replies/threads enabled? It would seem such a feature would be critical for making guest posting viable in the sense of protecting against potential abuse by spammers.

I've gone back and forth with it but can appreciate how guest posting lowers the barrier to participation. Lots of people stumble across forums via Google, etc., and I think being prompted for an email is enough to turn at least some away. Plus there could be an anonymity aspect for some. For me, the forum is still new and doesn't have many members, so I'm interested in welcoming as much new content as possible.

Since I enabled guess posting, I've had a couple spammers show up. I just created rejected user accounts for those guests' names...seems that's the only way to do it short of custom development.

Top Bottom