XF 2.3 / 3.0 release date

In the coming weeks.™

• "On (a) Monday®"
  • "I never start working before I drank three coffees... and I never drink over two coffees."
:)

Jokes aside, the forum is running fine as it is.
But the stuff announced for the 2.3 will cover all the things that I can see "missing" for now:
  • Anchor links (so I can easily make a table of contents for articles, like here with Vanilla).
  • Image optimization (without installing an add-on - good choice to put that in the core IMO).
  • More InnoDB tables (hope I'll figure out how to convert the tables that will need converting... and that they will not be as stubborn as Christians :LOL: ).
And I'm yet to see about some LiteSpeed or Redis caching (or both, WordPress LiteSpeed plugin lets me configure and use both).

More InnoDB tables (hope I'll figure out how to convert the tables that will need converting... and that they will not be as stubborn as Christians :LOL: ).
I'm sure that this will happen during the upgrade--other than maybe once or twice over the past 13 years, I might have had to manually do something to the database. As long as your database login has privileges to ALTER tables, you should not have to touch it.

I'm sure that this will happen during the upgrade--other than maybe once or twice over the past 13 years, I might have had to manually do something to the database. As long as your database login has privileges to ALTER tables, you should not have to touch it.

It seems so. Quote from a "Have you seen..." article:

Starting with XenForo 2.3 we are automatically converting most of the remaining tables to use InnoDB and for new installs we are making all tables use InnoDB by default.

The only table that requires manually converting is the xf_search_index table. For existing installations, due to differences in the full-text search implementation, you will need to run a CLI command named xf:convert-search-innodb, which will empty, convert and optionally rebuild the search index for you.

So, only one little CLI command.
Used CLI for WordPress and for a big SMF database import.
Hope I'll manage it for the XenForo too. :)

Is the Xenforo 3 compatible with add-ons that have recently been purchased from various suppliers in the forum?
Or is it the case that these will no longer run from one day to the next?

One thing I've been discovering about addons is that in the event of an "upgrade," occasionally the change is nothing more than a change in one of XF's templates, which means the addon has to have its own template modifications altered to get them to work. (Template modifications use a find/replace system and if the addon can't "find" the code it needs, it can't "replace" it. Oversimplifying here but that's the idea behind it.)

I can fix minor things myself now, so it's good to know that I could jump ahead on an upgrade and temporarily use an altered addon until an official fix comes along.

3.0 seems to be a major change to the public-facing template, but it seems as though the backend will remain somewhat the same. It won't be a total rewrite like 1.5 to 2.0 was.

It's my understanding that 2.3 will too in practice because of the removal of jQuery.
Not to the same extend IMHO. I don't have any stats to back up my thoughts (I would have to analyse a statistically relevant number of Add-ons), but I think there are far fewer Add-ons that directly touch jQuery than those that use templates.

I am sort of worried about that. I have been using add-ons that have not been updated in a long time. If they rely on jQuery, they would probably never get an update. Or I would have to put it back in manually to get them to work (?). In some cases, I would need to pay for a fresh subscription to get updates, which I guess is reasonable. But losing some of the discontinued add-ons could become a major hassle with the 2.3 release 🤷‍♀️

I am by choice not using any add-on that affects the frontend lol. These add-ons are mostly to make things easy in the backend. Like changing date and time of posts/threads or having a favicon before a link. There might be one or two add-ons that are orphaned. But most of them should be fine with developers still active here.

My point was mostly that less popular add-ons might not get updated to support 2.3 immediately and I would need to get used to managing things without them. Nothing new for a 19-year-old community. Just some inconvenience. I mean the add-ons might still be compatible as long as jQuery is added manually or something like that!

It's my understanding that 2.3 will too in practice because of the removal of jQuery.
To a surface extent, yes. However, the fix for most would be as simple as adding <script src="jquery-3.7.1.min.js"></script> to the head of PAGE_CONTAINER. Heck someone can make an addon that does just that as a temporary measure so that everyone can one click it. (If someone does make that addon, then you can download jquery and do it as self hosted again.)

My point was mostly that less popular add-ons might not get updated to support 2.3 immediately and I would need to get used to managing things without them. Nothing new for a 19-year-old community. Just some inconvenience. I mean the add-ons might still be compatible as long as jQuery is added manually or something like that!

Maybe @Xon could make an addon and everyone who needs jquery in their addon can have a little dependency on Xon's jquery addon so that every addon isn't trying to add its own jquery. Well because Xon is very kind to us and makes library type addons already.

Last edited:
Oh My Gosh Omg GIF by LEGO

People are getting concerned at some of the addons that they won't need anymore!

Top Bottom