Xenforo mobile vs Tapatalk

QFT

Reasons why I will remove tapatalk after the migration to xenforo:
  1. search will soon show changes from other sites, leading our members away from other sites.
  2. TT tries to store attachments on their servers, so that we can never leave them. I blocked this.
  3. TT shows ads to users even though I have repeatedly opted out.
  4. TT forces our members to login through tapatalk instead of using our login. (by hiding the normal login) This means that TT stores our member data.
  5. The Tapatalk home screen has a feed tab showing new content from all sites the member is member of. This means that its less attractive to browse one particular site and more attractive to browse all at once.
  6. With each update (every few weeks) usergroup permissions are removed.
  7. Xenforo is already responsive.
  8. PUSHover provides PUSH notifications for xenforo.
  9. TT does not show content from our addons like gallery, blog, wiki, groups, reviews, etc.
  10. TT does not show any custom functionality which makes that my highly customized site does not stand out from others, but looks like just another forum.
  11. TT policy updates steadily move towards less control for webmasters and more control and benefits for tapatalk.

Reactions: ehd
So, I've just moved from vBulletin to XF and installed Tapatalk.

I had some serious database problems, and had to re-migrate to XF from vBulletin....

Now, I am thinking TT may have had a hand in this, I am not sure...

But my question for you more experienced people is this - are there any alternatives
to TT? Or do we just rely on the (admittedly very impressive) XF mobile-friendly
design?

There aren't really any alternatives to TapaTalk. On another site that I'm an Admin on, we've discovered that over 50% of our traffic is from mobile devices. Killing TapaTalk would have some serious repercussions in our case.

If I have a long message, tapatalking it because its easier to navigate, no clumsy hitting controls on the site.

I am considering making some minor tweaks to the responsive view, such as, turning the "controls" underneath the post into buttons, perhaps with slightly larger text, to make them easier to tap. Another thing that might work for me would be to replace the "Like", "Reply", etc. text with larger icons when the smaller widths kick in.

If they still think that I am generating views with it not even installed, why the hell should I even begin to believe the views/ads when it comes to paying me. You look at the "lack" of support forums and it is just one horror story after another.

Payment was an issue with me--it took a third party to intervene before I could even get a response out of the company for the monies owed to me. Up until then, not a single reply. I found out that they had changed the configuration for forum accounts on their site, with a separate PayPal address for each, but never bothered to inform anyone of the change.

When I read about their mobile "system" circumventing XF's security and privacy features, which also was allowing spammers a back door to register, that was the last straw--I shut them out permanently.

It's an issue of trust, and I just simply do not trust them based on past experience. We had a few upset members, but they did not storm off in a rage--they adapted, and nobody has mentioned it since. I also consider the security and privacy of our members' accounts, and I will not subject them to any system which circumvents what XF has built in.

Notifications? Yes, I'd like those. I have been trying Pushbullet (by way of an add-on) but don't really care for the app. Still, I have ideas for how an XF forum could push its own notifications, but my coding days are long past. And I have neither the time nor patience to follow up on it. ;)

Top Bottom