XenForo - destroyed by vBulletin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another vB vs XF topic. We really don't have enough of them. My response is, bluntly - who cares? XF is what it is, and will be what it will be. Both softwares have what the other one does not, and vice versa. And XF is not vB reborn, it's not vB MkII, it's not vB The Next Generation. It is XenForo, a super new forum software that will catch on, have its own market, and become as big as the market tells it to be.

Simple stuff, really. Actually, when I'm in the XF forums, I rarely think about vB. It's pretty much like not thinking of my grandma when making love to my wife, you know?

LOL soooo very true ;)

Of course in the software world one reaction to an innovative upstart that shows some legs is to buy them out and either run with the product or kill it. I'm sure at any point in time Mike and Kier have their price (I do, don't you?).

Damn, that's so true. Well here's hoping that Mike and Kier's price is really, really high.

Hi

I have to say that I really like XenForo. But, part of me thinks that vBulletin will respond by releasing a really good upgraded version, which will have a CMS and all other bridges and perhaps coupled with a sale will blow XenForo out of the water. Ultimately, I would put it to you that people do not want to take risks, and stick to brand names that they know.
Then you obviously haven't looked at the code in vBulletin 4 so far, the wreck of a StyleVars system, or all of the issues people are having with it. I read the "What's coming in vB4.1 and the future" part 1 and part 2 threads. It's a lot of platitudes and a laundry list of features. Well my friend get the stars out of your eyes and think for a second.

What are the biggest problems facing vB4? Is it a lack of features? No. It is the poor development quality, and loss or breaking of existing features being done by the development team. And it's the complete lack of VISION to produce something easy to use, easy to customize, and easy to extend. And bolting on a ton of new features isn't going to fix a lack of development vision.

Also saying that vBulletin 4 with a CMS is going to steamroll XenForo ignores two facts:
  • There is already a survey here on XenForo.com indicating that 70% of customers will not make their purchase decision based on whether XenForo ships with a CMS.
  • The CMS that comes with vBulletin is a broken nightmare and has received globally negative reviews. I don't know any top tier vBulletin-powered sites using the vB4 CMS.
I appreciate that Kier is a bit of a brand name himself and that there are a lot of keen people on this forum. But surely, we are just a very small number of potential customers who will not alone be enough to make the product swim?
Ok seriously how much is Internet Brands paying you? ;)

My broad point is that they have the resources which Kier understandbly does not have to make big changes. I am sure that they are not stupid and realise that this is a threat. Finally, I am not saying that what I said is going to happen, but I do think that it is a possibility.
During the first year of development on IB's roadmap vision itinerary piecemeal effort for vBulletin 4.0, Jelsoft/IB had the largest development team it's had in 10 years. They had like 10 developers. On what planet would you look at the amateur hour introduction of vBulletin 4.0 and feel that it bears any passing resemblance to the smooth, feature-rich, mature introductions of vBulletin 3.6 or 3.7? It's taken 9 months to bugfix vBulletin 4.0 to be somewhat useable.

IB promotes Agile development and speaks in marketing buzzwords, but do you sense anywhere that the IB team have a VISION for how forum software should be built? IB are a marketing company. This is their first software development project. They're doing on-the-job training with the forum software we've all built our livelihoods on. Yet they think they can apply their marketing philosophies to the development of a piece of software with millions of lines of code.

Ok, let's look at IB's core competencies. How good are they at their day job? Ask any of the members of thriving, successful forum communities that InternetBrands has purchased. There is almost universal unhappiness. IB buys existing communities, fires the staff, and lets them wither on the vine with minimal maintenance, minimal moderation, lackluster administration, and all the while cashing checks from the perfectly targeted contextual Ads. Well, IB does something right. ;) Google DavesGarden.com and internetbrands or any of the other communities they've bought out and are currently suffering as a result if IB's gross incompetance.

This is the company you want to build your community future on?

Ultimately, when you are making a judgment call about where to put your money, you have to look at past history and past performance. Kier Darby and Mike Sullivan have demonstrated for 8 years that they can write the best damn forum software on the planet. What have IB demonstrated in the last 2 years?

Damn, that's so true. Well here's hoping that Mike and Kier's price is really, really high.
Of course it is. They know there is a market for a new piece of forum software given the current conditions and they know they can do things better than anything before. I highly doubt they would cash in, no matter what the price. :)

Yeah, people like to think that employees are all machines and their input is coffee and their output is work. If Kier and Mike are offered enough money, they'll sell XenForo to the highest bidder and go buy a yacht? Are you serious?

Writing software is what Kier and Mike love to do.

I mean really, after the emotional beat down of IB, who would in their right mind ever dream of not only forming a software company, but starting a *forum software company*, from scratch, turning your back on millions of lines of code you already wrote. People come unglued if a document they wrote for 2 hours gets deleted. Imagine if you could no longer use a document you wrote for 8 years solid. If after all that, you think Kier and Mike would sell out, then I don't know what to say.

My broad point is that they have the resources which Kier understandbly does not have to make big changes. I am sure that they are not stupid and realise that this is a threat. Finally, I am not saying that what I said is going to happen, but I do think that it is a possibility.

They've been talking about their big resources and their biggest dev team ever for years now and all I've seen ever since are crappy releases. I don't see why that is going to change out of a sudden.

Yeah, people like to think that employees are all machines and their input is coffee and their output is work. If Kier and Mike are offered enough money, they'll sell XenForo to the highest bidder and go buy a yacht? Are you serious?

Writing software is what Kier and Mike love to do.
Then again, who wouldn't enjoy writing software on a yacht? Make some great piece of software, sell it for enough money to never worry about money again, start from scratch and make something even more brilliant, without having to worry about the resources.

Ah well, let's just hope they won't. :P

My view about this is simple...

I have been patience and loyal to VB for many years. However VB4 was nothing like I hoped for, but being so patience, I said I would hang it and see how it goes.
It did not go well (as we all know too well), VB was going own the drain due to many bugs, coding staff changes, and people leaving to use other software.
End result is that VB wore out my patience my lost my loyalty. (And this was long before XF came along)

But now we have XF, and already I see great hope, vision, passion, excitement, professionalism and software that will give a better experience for my community.

heh. i guess it would be a good thing if vbulletin does something spectacular in response to the improved competition.

i am not an expert when it comes to vbulletin. i migrated to them from IPB largely because of vbseo.

the migration to vbulletin and vbseo did something magical to my forum.

but things have been rather static for the last couple of months (if not the last 2 years).

and that is the reason why i am very interested in xenforo. vb4 has been a disgrace. i never liked it. but paid for it because there was no decent alternative.

if xenforo v1 suits my needs, i would migrate to it as soon as possible. i just need it to add some very small things that i need. i have mentioned all my suggestions in the proper forum here. just hoping that developers would look into them!

I disagree that VB are out of the race yet... and xenforo isn't even a released product, so its nothing right now until it achieves sale status. IPB are doing it better than VB right now for quality, products, service and price.

Anthony while VB is not completely out of the race yet ...

Do you agree that in terms of innovation right now with XF still not out ... VB is in 3rd position for forum software ?

Anthony while VB is not completely out of the race yet ...

Do you agree that in terms of innovation right now with XF still not out ... VB is in 3rd position for forum software ?
Any opinion regarding positions for forum software would be completely biased; some people actually find vB quite useful, while others don't.

While I love XenForo's approach for innovation and everything, to say they don't have giants to overcome (vBulletin which was and quite possibly is the current leader, and IPB which was the previously innovative solution) would be inane.

The thing that XenForo has going for it, and which will most likely topple competition is their approach in how they've done the software. From what Kier has said, nearly every portion of the forum is pluggable to modifications, making XF highly extensible in comparison to the opposition.

They've also taken a modern approach to all current (And upcoming in the case of HTML5 and CSS3) technology, and have gone so far as to make everything as usable as possible (My stepdad is blind, and was able to navigate fairly well for a website).

What will truly make XF the leader of forum solutions is the community; If there is a plethora of free solutions it will actively compete with vBulletin, and as it'll be centralized to XenForo.com, it'll overcome the schism that is vB.com/vB.org. This also allows them a way to be better then IPB, which from what I have always seen is mostly paid solutions.

I'm all for XenForo, however I won't fool myself and say it won't be difficult, especially with the first incarnation of the software.

Something xenforo has done from the get go and that is to provide it' memberbase with an abundance of information. The devs have kept them to date on features, progress and in short created an environment that people are comfortable in. Bare in mind the infancy of the product is to develop the key features whilst providing that innovative edge. Once it matures, and the community starts developing (I'll be one of them) I have over 300 packs to submit here, some new and most will be exclusive so again as it matures I'm betting we'll see development in features roll out fast and upgrades warmly welcomed coming out at a good pace.

Personally, my own opinion. I have a lot of faith in xenforo and it doesn't matter what other companies or what brand they are once you have trust broken it's very hard near to impossible to get that back. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Trust it goes along way these days.

vBulletin vs vBulletin

XenForo - destroyed by vBulletin? No
Vbulletin - destroyed by XenForo & IPB? Yes

I would say this:

vBulletin - destroyed by vBulletin! Ultimately... Yes.

Hi Kier,
The only thing I know is that if XenForo wants to compete with vBulletin (although vBulletin itself is vBulletin biggest competitor nowadays :( if you asked me (and thousands of other people) and Invision, it is going to need...

It won't happen overnight but one platform has nothing but growth opportunities and the other will have to work hard just to tread water.

In order for vB to have long term viability, the management team would have to pull its thumb out, get off the golf course and fire itself.
Succinct and quite accurate IMO. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom