XenForo Affiliate System

Would you like to have XenForo affiliate system?

• Yes, of course

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a sentiment we get asked via the support system every couple of days.

Unfortunately, as well as benefits, an affiliate system also has drawbacks, such as:

1) XenForo is already the most competatively priced premium forum solution available, adding affiliate commissions means pretty much only one thing, the price goes up.

2) Management of affiliates, ensuring that no cookie stuffing or other similar underhand tactics are used.

3) Competition between affiliates, people pushing affiliate links to new customers can be offputting (which we already insist that any affiliate links are exposed)

4) Extra work for accounting for affiliates, managing payments, managing chargebacks etc etc etc...

The idea is one I can understand why you may want to get involved, but I imagine for the near future at least, there won't be any affiliate system, not until things have settled down at least.
i think you put it the best, the price of xenforo is awesome for such a piee of software.
Let's face it, there's nothing else out there that we can compare.
Honestly i don't think xenforo staff needs a affliate program.
It sells itself and now with the updates coming every couple of weeks i wouldn't be elsewere.
What i really want is to buy some stocks of this company, that i'm interested in...:)

Last edited:
Well they already offer bulk license discounts, so if you're providing a service where you have customers on XenForo that you host and manage, you are already "getting something back," in a way. Additionally, I think adding more customers to the XenForo base is a win for everyone. More customers means more revenue for XenForo itself, which will promote development; it will also mean more revenue for third-party add-on developers, which will allow them to continue doing what they're doing, support their products better (both from sales if the resource is paid and donations), etc. Not to mention that if you're struggling with an error or something on XenForo, you can ask a buddy you've recommended to XenForo to help you out, and vice versa.

@dutchbb I can have the greatest product (service) in the universe, but if you don't know about it then... You will never be a competitor to others, as you will never become as huge as they are. You need customers to become huge. I am not saying that XenForo is a completely unknown software, but in my country it is! I am not able to find a single site using it! How is it possible? Software is good enough, I don't know actually about a better one. So please tell me why it doesn't sell in my country?

vBulletin is here how many years? I didn't know about XenForo about a month ago! Actually I wanted to purchase initially vBulletin as I know many sites in my country using it and it had features I couldn't use on my phpBB3 board. But I did my homework and used google before I decided what to buy and I am glad now. You can use Affiliate system only for specific countries if you feel confident about your product sales in some countries but this way you can target new markets.

@dutchbb I can have the greatest product (service) in the universe, but if you don't know about it then...

It's a good arguement, but, at the same time, consider XenForo is still relatively "new" in comparison.

And personally, I also think a lot of potential customers have been holding off until 1.2 adds in a whole bunch of "mandatory" features such as edit history and bulk user management.

The futures bright... the futures... blue... tan and white?

@Slavik Actually you could do one thing, if you will take my advice. It will cost you nothing, but might bring you a lot of new customers. Make a language specific forums. Most of the sites have them. I am pretty sure there are lot of potential customers who don't find this site, because they search using Google in their native languages. This way you could easily and for free catch a good few of them ;) I am sure it is no problem to assign a Moderator role to trusted members just for a specific forum and you won't even have to look there. But that is not really necessary, as chatting with other members in their native languages will do the job for you.

@Slavik Actually you could do one thing, if you will take my advice. It will cost you nothing, but might bring you a lot of new customers. Make a language specific forums. Most of the sites have them. I am pretty sure there are lot of potential customers who don't find this site, because they search using Google in their native languages. This way you could easily and for free catch a good few of them ;) I am sure it is no problem to assign a Moderator role to trusted members just for a specific forum and you won't even have to look there. But that is not really necessary, as chatting with other members in their native languages will do the job for you.

It's been discussed before, at this point we have no way to moderate or enforce non-english discussions, so for now at least XenForo.com will be all English. However there are multiple localised help forums already out there ;)

So why would I purchase a license, hosting and spend a good amount of my free time just to make this software popular in my country and earn money for someone else?

When you drive your car, do you remove all the logos of the company? How is this any different? Many things in life we use and advertise the product by using it with nothing in return. If your so against using xF without getting something in return for advertising this is the forum software we use, then purchase the branding removal option.

@Mike Edge And to make it clear for you. When I buy a car and I am satisfied with that car, I will recommend it to my friends. But when I decide to make (buy) a showroom and sell those cars there I won't do it for free. Will you? Not expecting answer from you as I think it is obvious.

I clearly stated what was my intention. To buy an extra license, to buy a domain www.xenforo.sk (something like that) to buy a hosting for that site, to make a support for those people interested in XenForo. In return all I wanted for those people I would send over here to buy a XenForo license is a small amount for referring a customer. Got it?

If not, then please answer my question. Why don't you host XenForo sites free of charge?

@King Kovifor I am not even thinking about buying a domain now when I know I will have nothing in return, just expenses. People do things because they want to do it or they get paid for it. Simple as that. And I said (something like that) as I have no ide what the site name would be.

Interesting as it is nowhere mentioned on your site or in your signature. But nice from you if it is true ;)
I can confirm that @Mike Edge has and does give hosting to xenforo-based sites free.

To get this straight, are you saying you are looking to do what say vBulletin Germany used to do and be the official seller for the country? Because, that wasn't actually clear from your initial post in this thread - and really, is a completely different discussion to the one about affiliates.

@Azhria Lilu I have no idea what vBulletin Germany used to do, but I was not looking for official seller status. Affiliate System = Send a customer who purchase sellers product and you get rewarded for that. Simple as that.

I will be happy to promote XenForo where I can, but don't expect from me to buy a license, domain, hosting and get nothing back. I even suggested to make language specific forum here, where support can be provided by me for free. With no luck as you can see. It is nothing more I can do at the moment, I am afraid.

@Azhria Lilu I have no idea what vBulletin Germany used to do, but I was not looking for official seller status. Affiliate System = Send a customer who purchase sellers product and you get rewarded for that. Simple as that.

I will be happy to promote XenForo where I can, but don't expect from me to buy a license, domain, hosting and get nothing back. I even suggested to make language specific forum here, where support can be provided by me for free. With no luck as you can see. It is nothing more I can do at the moment, I am afraid.
This is the bit that's not making sense. Anyone can put an advert on their existing site, painlessly without having to build a site dedicated to sending people here to purchase licences. What are you offering exactly?

Any language specific forums would have to be moderated by a XenForo staff member as they would be liable for any disinformation given and if they can't read the forum in question, how can they be sure the right information is being given. I'm not seeing what benefit to XenForo is you buying a domain, licence, hosting to advertise their product, to be blunt.

Sorry :)

@Sheldon Please just stop this everyone! Why are here paid add-ons if you all love this software so much? Why are here members charging others if they do somethinf for them? So why would I do set up a site, fork out from my pocket 200 dollars and expect nothing? You don't read my posts at all or if I will ask you to do a job for me you will all do it for free? Did I get it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom