1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add-on WordPress Authentication

Discussion in 'Resource and Add-on Requests' started by Skyrie, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Skyrie

Skyrie Member

I use WordPress + BuddyPress for my user database and would love to be able to use them rather than XenForo's user database. I know there is a WordPress Bridge already, but this simply lets your forum users login to your WordPress site, whereas I would like the other way around.

I would gladly pay for such a plugin.

Support for BuddyPress group forums would also be great, though not necessary at this point.
  2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Wordpress - Xenforo Bridge - with Wordpress Authentication.
    - The bridge should be a Wordpress plugin - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/
    - A coder to target would be someone whom has made a bridge in Wordpress before .... and then just needs some details about Xenforo. You may bring 2 coders together like aforementioned coder and either xfrocks or Figher1405 (xenscripts.com) - one whom knows wordpress and one whom knows xenforo.

============================
  3. Digital Doctor

Q: Which specific Wordpress Plugins will not work with either of the two Wordpress bridges ?
  4. bambua

bambua Well-Known Member

The most recent version of Figher1405's plugin supports syncing the xenforo users actually to the Wordpress database, this should allow any plugin that is looking for that information to function with it.
  5. Deepmartini

Deepmartini Well-Known Member

Do you have a link to the plugin, I'll give it a try. The issue is that lots of Wordpress plugins make use of the member database to restrict access to Wordpress content, allow users to create articles, etc. If the bridge defaults to Xenforo taking the lead then these plugins won't work because everything has to be run through Xenforo and the Wordpress plugins are built to run off the Wordpress database. Simply syncing the two should work.
  6. Deepmartini

Then the next issue would be to pull in the Xenforo avatars and use Xenforo for Wordpress's commenting system so they are linked and act as one unit.
  7. Digital Doctor

8. bambua

bambua Well-Known Member

His plugin does that as well (the commenting portion) And since you have the user id of the user in Xenforo that's making the comments you can pull the avatar from the XF file system, it uses the user id as the name of the file.
  9. Digital Doctor

Register at xenscripts.com to see the avatar sharing.
  10. Deepmartini

Thanks for the links. I will check it out.
  11. Skyrie

Skyrie Member

There is already a thread for the bridge plugin. My request is for the other way around. Where XenForo will pull WP avatars and WP user data. Not one where WP will pull from XenForo. My user database exists on WP, not XenForo. I don't want to sync users, I want XenForo to use the users that already exist on WP.
  12. bambua

bambua Well-Known Member

I was answering Deepmartini, sorry to hijack your thread, my mistake.
  13. Skyrie

Skyrie Member

No problem!
  14. eod

eod Active Member

heck yeah!
  15. Skyrie

Skyrie Member

Hopefully someone will help with this one!
  16. Digital Doctor

You should request this on Wordpress.org as well.
    This should be a Wordpress plugin.
    I'm not sure how many Xenforo customers can also make full fledged Wordpress plugins.
  17. Skyrie

Skyrie Member

Why would it be a WordPress plugin?
  18. Digital Doctor

19. Skyrie

Skyrie Member

But wouldn't that use XenForo's user database? If I want XenForo to read WordPress's database then I don't see how WordPress would be able to do that.
  20. Darfuria

Darfuria Active Member