• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

WordPress 3 Bridge

I'd like to recommend the Constructor theme for new Wordpress users.
I found the default twentyten complicated and controllling.
"Constructor" starts with a simple clear basis, lots of customisation options clearly set out in its own editor section.

I've done lots of tweaks to get it exactly as I like it. Added quite a few WP mods without trouble.

Interested in the XF lookalike theme on the way though.

Check your database table, if you got different user or mail, it must've created second user etc, delete those, and fix your normal user to match XF's.

db tables are correct...user 1 in xf_users has the same username and same email addy as user 1 in wp_users

I re-uploaded the plugin files, go into wordpress plugins and select 'activate' and am instantly locked out of the wp admin panel. Had to re-name the xenforo plugins folder to regain access. Still looking for what the issue might be.

frustrating.

alright...believe I tracked the issue down...

For whatever odd reason, the user 1 account in the xF control panel had the Usergroup set to 'Registered' and not 'Administrative'...the Secondary usergroup boxes for Administrative and Moderator were then checked.

Reset the Usergroup dropdown to Administrative, unchecked it in Secondary, and saved that user.

Re-uploaded the files, re-set in WP, and I haven't been kicked off since....crossing fingers...

Simply put, your user_group_id in xf_users needs to be 3 - mine was not.

registered a new user...once that process started, the login failed for both that new user and for my admin account. What am i missing?!?

That new user registration ended up in the wp_users table, NOT in the xf_users table

When I had the plugin enabled, and selected 'users' within the wp-admin, it DID correctly redirect to the xF Users control panel. However, it appears new registrations are not working correctly. (at least in my install)

Are there any plans to expand this plug in to have cross commenting/posting between WP and XF, along with XF widgets that we can install bringing up information from the forums?

I'm so glad this WP + XF bridge has been done. Thank you.

Combining best of XF and WP
The big lack I find in XF is not having the WYSWYG editor on Pages.
In WP it's SO SO useful to just make quick Pages or quick edits/ updates without coding html. For me as admin it's a quick option and I can also delegate to whoever is the best editor for that topic, not just whoever knows html.

But the advantage of XF Pages is that they can be inserted in the forum hierarchy.
It would be nice to have the advantages of both systems for Pages.

There's no sign yet of a mod to add WYSWYG to XF Pages and the devs have made it clear that this might get done in the core but they are going to be busy with other priorities for quite a while.

How difficult would it be to ADMIN OPTION add a WP Page into the XF forum hierarchy?
I mean I can presumably add a link to the top menu bar or sidebar but I can see that getting cluttered. Adding WP Pages into a subforum list would be a lot neater.

WP Page + XF Forum (blog system)
A Page + Forum makes a powerful partnership for discussion.
But it needs reciprocal links between the WP Page (or sequence of Pages) and the partner XF forum.
With that an article on a WP Page would have a link at top and bottom of the Page to an XF forum for its discussion.
The selected Forum would also have a link top and bottiom of its pages to the WP Page (or sequence).

This would create a kind of blog forum package.
Ideally admin settings
- Create reciprocal links between this Page and a forum? Y/N default No. If Y = Select / create forum.
- Create reciprocal links between this forum and a Page? Y/N default No. If Y = WP Page OR XF Page? .... select / create Page .

But it needs reciprocal links between the WP Page (or sequence of Pages) and the partner XF forum.
With that an article on a WP Page would have a link at top and bottom of the Page to an XF forum for its discussion.
The selected Forum would also have a link top and bottiom of its pages to the WP Page (or sequence).

Ideally admin settings
- Create reciprocal links between this Page and a forum? Y/N default No. If Y = Select / create forum.
- Create reciprocal links between this forum and a Page? Y/N default No. If Y = WP Page OR XF Page? .... select / create Page .

I do prefer the way VB4 and IPB3 (IP.Content) does this. If you post an article, you can automatically create a forum thread for discussion. If someone posts a comment on the article, that comment also appears in the forum thread and vice versa.

Although a link to the forum thread would be better than nothing at all (though you could do it manually if you are using it as a site articles system instead of a multi user blog).

registered a new user...once that process started, the login failed for both that new user and for my admin account. What am i missing?!?

That new user registration ended up in the wp_users table, NOT in the xf_users table

When I had the plugin enabled, and selected 'users' within the wp-admin, it DID correctly redirect to the xF Users control panel. However, it appears new registrations are not working correctly. (at least in my install)
The way new registration goes to wp_users looks wrong since all registration should be done in XenForo. I think there's something wrong with your installation. Please send me your URL via Convo and I will come by and see ;)

I'm so glad this WP + XF bridge has been done. Thank you.

Combining best of XF and WP
The big lack I find in XF is not having the WYSWYG editor on Pages.
In WP it's SO SO useful to just make quick Pages or quick edits/ updates without coding html. For me as admin it's a quick option and I can also delegate to whoever is the best editor for that topic, not just whoever knows html.

But the advantage of XF Pages is that they can be inserted in the forum hierarchy.
It would be nice to have the advantages of both systems for Pages.

There's no sign yet of a mod to add WYSWYG to XF Pages and the devs have made it clear that this might get done in the core but they are going to be busy with other priorities for quite a while.

How difficult would it be to ADMIN OPTION add a WP Page into the XF forum hierarchy?
I mean I can presumably add a link to the top menu bar or sidebar but I can see that getting cluttered. Adding WP Pages into a subforum list would be a lot neater.

Ideally admin settings

This kind of thing is done but it's lacking a proper theme. You can see more detail here http://xenforo.com/community/threads/anybodys-interested-in-doing-wordpress-templates.6299/
I still haven't had enough time to edit WordPress theme's files, yet. But soon, I hope :D

This kind of thing is done but it's lacking a proper theme. You can see more detail here http://xenforo.com/community/threads/anybodys-interested-in-doing-wordpress-templates.6299/
I still haven't had enough time to edit WordPress theme's files, yet. But soon, I hope :D

xfrocks: did you try this one ?
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-mimics-xenforo-for-your-wordpress-blog.6364/

I'd love to see if anyone has a site running with XF + WP that looks integrated.

So someone using this bridge can't use that theme ?
Can you elaborate on this comment so "Even I" can understand :) Thanks.
Point 1: Using this bridge is different than using the up-coming addon. You can use this bridge with any theme of WordPress you want by install it into WordPress.
Point 2: If you decide to use the up-coming addon (that addon will be installed into XenForo), it will route to your WordPress through XenForo. Simply speaking, a XenForo node will become a proxy for WordPress (Well, that's not really simple but I hope you get the point). In result of that, the WordPress content can use all XenForo's juice from XenForo CSS styling to Javascript stuff (relative timestamp, user card) and user's avatar.

You can use the bridge without the addon but you can't use the addon without the bridge ;)

What addon ?
Are you documenting the addon anywhere ?
How about another thread ? for focused discussion.
The addon which is being development and calling for help. But sadly, not many people are interested in so I guess I will do it myself. It will be released here when it's ready :D

The addon which is being development and calling for help. But sadly, not many people are interested in so I guess I will do it myself. It will be released here when it's ready :D

No no .... there is interest .... there is no time however :(
(drowning)

Top Bottom