Windows 8.1 Preview

Personally I have a Mac that I brought just because of curiosity last month...don't see the hype really. They are pretty nothing else....and now the Mac sits on my computer table, never used. I should try and sell it.

That said I am a Microsoft Fanboy and I love Windows 8...so I am excited to check out 8.1
Windows 8 personally to me is the best looking windows Version I've used(XP, Vista, and 7 are past experiences) and I enjoy the speed and smoothness of it.

I never got the hate over the Metro UI...I love it better than just some standard icons.
It's why I also own a Windows phone :p

i am excited for Build tomorrow so i can check out all Microsoft has in store.

I own a Surface RT Tablet, Surface Pro and Lenovo Yoga Tablet plus a Nokia Lumia 920<3

Windows 8 hate is pretty much unfounded. It's basically Win 7 with the same but updated kernel, a metro ui that you can disable and a missing start button that you can add back by yourself. There is just no sane reason to hate on Win 8.

Paint me insane and my argument towards win8 irrelevant because it doesn't fall into your opinion of the OS. :D To be fair with win8 and giving Microsoft some potential credit. If the smoother it in Horse poop, throw in some free flies that will might entice users who didn't warm up to it to reconsider and claw back that 50% or so of the market back, heck might entice some of the mac users. :LOL:

Microsoft 8 - Scoop the poop edition. Take my money now. :ROFLMAO::sick:

Ps. ignore my sense of humour it gets worse by the day. :oops:

Personally I have a Mac that I brought just because of curiosity last month...don't see the hype really. They are pretty nothing else....and now the Mac sits on my computer table, never used. I should try and sell it.

That said I am a Microsoft Fanboy and I love Windows 8...so I am excited to check out 8.1
Windows 8 personally to me is the best looking windows Version I've used(XP, Vista, and 7 are past experiences) and I enjoy the speed and smoothness of it.

I never got the hate over the Metro UI...I love it better than just some standard icons.
It's why I also own a Windows phone :p

i am excited for Build tomorrow so i can check out all Microsoft has in store.

I own a Surface RT Tablet, Surface Pro and Lenovo Yoga Tablet plus a Nokia Lumia 920<3

What Mac did you buy? :p I may take you up on your offer :p

Downloading the update now. Decided to just do a WinStore update rather than a virtual machine since the ISO files aren't available until tomorrow. Not too bad, when the final version is here, you just have to re-install non-WinStore apps, IIRC. For me, that's essentially just Office and CS6.

Downloading the update now. Decided to just do a WinStore update rather than a virtual machine since the ISO files aren't available until tomorrow. Not too bad, when the final version is here, you just have to re-install non-WinStore apps, IIRC. For me, that's essentially just Office and CS6.

Yeah same here. I am downloading on my Surface RT before anything else. It's taking FOREVVVVVVVVVVVVVER though lol.

It's been an hour and it's like barely past 1/4 of the way downloaded.

Yeah same here. I am downloading on my Surface RT before anything else. It's taking FOREVVVVVVVVVVVVVER though lol.

It's been an hour and it's like barely past 1/4 of the way downloaded.

I'm sure the servers are getting hammered. Fine with me, I'll just go out and get lunch or something, hopefully it'll be done once I get back.

I'm sure the servers are getting hammered. Fine with me, I'll just go out and get lunch or something, hopefully it'll be done once I get back.

Yeah i think i'm going to get something to eat too lol.

What is the device your updating? Is it a native windows 8 device or an older device that didn't come with Win8?

Yeah i think i'm going to get something to eat too lol.

What is the device your updating? Is it a native windows 8 device or an older device that didn't come with Win8?

ThinkPad T420

It came with Win7 when I bought it, but Lenovo has Win8 drivers available (which I don't actually use) and Win8 runs just fine on it. Upgraded to 8.1 without any problems, though the entire process took almost 2 hours for me.

Anyway, had a chance to play around with it, and it's great. Microsoft added almost every feature people wanted (better Start screen customization, boot to Desktop, use wallpaper as background, etc.) Gonna be a great update once it's finalized.

Crispy bacon > grease laden soggy bacon :D

I think soft (non greasy) bacon is a nicer option. There is nothing worse than soft greasy bacon, quite frankly, disgusting. I'm still on the fence with the really crispy cardboard bacon though. :LOL: #baconwars

ThinkPad T420

It came with Win7 when I bought it, but Lenovo has Win8 drivers available (which I don't actually use) and Win8 runs just fine on it. Upgraded to 8.1 without any problems, though the entire process took almost 2 hours for me.

Anyway, had a chance to play around with it, and it's great. Microsoft added almost every feature people wanted (better Start screen customization, boot to Desktop, use wallpaper as background, etc.) Gonna be a great update once it's finalized.

I am using it on my surface rt...I love the new windows store. It looks the same while improving on the looks and it shows you more apps that you won't easily discover on the old windows store app.

Quite smooth and i am loving it already.

Off-topic but I am noticing some issues with my Xenforo 1.1.5 forum in IE 11 as far as quoting goes. I have to click the Aa button and it'll then let me quote things.

I am using it on my surface rt...I love the new windows store. It looks the same while improving on the looks and it shows you more apps that you won't easily discover on the old windows store app.

Quite smooth and i am loving it already.

Off-topic but I am noticing some issues with my Xenforo 1.1.5 forum in IE 11 as far as quoting goes. I have to click the Aa button and it'll then let me quote things.

I couldn't get XenForo to work at all on IE11, I had to switch back to Chrome. Shame, I quite like IE11, has some nice text rendering.

And the Windows Store is far better than what we had before, which was just pathetic. To say it's a massive upgrade is an understatement.

Will be trying Windows 8.1 tomorrow

Capture.webp

I think it's also interesting that Microsoft confirmed a "rapid" release cycle, leading many to believe Windows will move to annual updates, much like OS X.

I'm in favor of that, actually. Technology moves so fast, the operating systems should keep up. And by moving a lot of the system apps into Store downloads, it also means they can be updated independently of the OS. One of the things I disliked most about older versions of Windows was programs like Outlook Express would never get updates.

Top Bottom