Will xenforo 1.x be free after Xenforo 2 is released?

Ninomancer

I'm just wondering. It would not make sense to sell the old version since the new version will be much improved and could sell for alot more.

I'm just wondering. It would not make sense to sell the old version since the new version will be much improved and could sell for alot more.
What if Xenforo stops selling version 1, when version 2 becomes available?

When companies bring out newer our updated products, they generally don't make previous versions available for free.

I'm not aware of any Microsoft or Adobe software products that are available for free once a newer version was introduced.

We'll never stop selling XF 1.x as such. Any license lets you download any prior version. There just comes a time though where its usage is at your own risk from a support perspective.

Some XF add-on developers already announced they will charge again for their XF2 versions of the same add-ons...
I have no problem with that. They are spending additional time and they may ask for money. Although, thanks a lot for those who decided not to charge. but you know what makes me sad in this case? that I paid thousands of $ to get lifetime licenses of couple of add-ons of X and he stopped improving them and/or adding essential features (and simply saying: we are focused on xf2! they can't realize that we still can't use their products at all!). I just feel I fired my money. I'll try to find alternatives if possible, and won't recommend couple of devs to anyone for ever. Otherwise they make some changes on their way of thinking (I think you perfectly know what I mean!)

a good conditional decision which is made is:
anyone with an active license... will be able to upgrade ... for no extra charge

What I try to say is simple. Those special devs should say: hey you wasted thousands of your $ and purchase lifetime license of our products and in addition, paid a big amount to remove all copyrights, but you never could start using them? then ok lets have our xf2 version of add-ons without firing more money, and sorry for getting your money and never bringing essential features to make them usable for couple of months.

Anyway, thanks to some great men out there who never left us alone and realized that our site is not a toy to have some fun for summer. let me name some of them as a thanks here: @Bob @Arty @Nobita @Fredxd

Hats off to that decision. Generally a customer can not simply expect that. Some XF add-on developers already announced they will charge again for their XF2 versions of the same add-ons...
XenForo has stability and volume, they ARE the market, and can do these things a lot easier. Smaller teams cannot rebuild their entire product line for free. Some may try to do that, but I can promise it will be a struggle. I'm going to do discounted upgrades on a few key add-ons for those with active licenses. And the upgrade to XenForo 2 isn't 1:1 parity. Modern web requires a rethinking of how everything is done. Not to mention XenForo completely rebuilt their core. Its not just copy and pasting code, its rebuilding from scratch.

ETA: I missed that @Dadparvar , Chris did say 'active' licenses. So I assume that means if you have expired licenses you have to purchase XF2 at original cost (as opposed to upgrade cost)

ETA: I missed that @Dadparvar , Chris did say 'active' licenses. So I assume that means if you have expired licenses you have to purchase XF2 at original cost (as opposed to upgrade cost)
If you want access to XenForo 2.0 when it is released and your license has not yet been renewed (i.e. it's not active) then you will just pay the normal renewal fee to make it active again (starting at $40 depending on which add-ons you have on your license).

The last VB3 forum I was involded in some way switched soon after signs of being hacked started.
While I'm not a mind-reader, this probably was a part of the reason to give up VB3...

Continuing to run EOL software is not something recommendable...

(the amount of publicly known security issues of Xenforo is much smaller than that of VB3, but still...)

Last edited:
Hats off to that decision. Generally a customer can not simply expect that. Some XF add-on developers already announced they will charge again for their XF2 versions of the same add-ons...
Generally that is the case because that's how it should be. It is different software and uses plugins that require different engineering. 2.0 being released does not stop people from using 1.0, whether it's the core, plugins, or skins, look at vBulletin 3.x.

I personally don't think it's fair for them to put all of the work into developing 2.0 and not be paid for that. An upgrade fee with a modest reduction in the base cost would be fair for existing customers with the standard price for everyone else.

At the same time, the **** storm that would ensue if they did this is obvious; this has, I believe, much to do with the inseparable history with vBulletin. A byproduct is that many customers feel entitled to 2.0 plugins and skins gratis because, hey, 2.0 is.

I don't know how this helps them innovate the software. I don't know any developers who are motivated more by not being paid for their latest and greatest commercial work. And I don't know how this is better for the software long-term, either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom