Will CSS3 browser-implementations be removed?

Shamil

Right now in the CSS, I am seeing horrible things, such as:

Code:
border-radius: 5px; -webkit-border-radius: 5px; -moz-border-radius: 5px; -khtml-border-radius: 5px;

Will they be removed, and standardised to

Code:
border-radius: 5px;

soon?

I just like standards and non-proprietory implementations.

Right now in the CSS, I am seeing horrible things...
I think the current CSS is proper and based on current browser technology. Plus, I'm positive that Kier&Mike will improve their code, while browsers evolve. What is more important: you are focusing on issues that can be addressed very easy by yourself, at admin level. After all, is your choice if you don't want your users to browse your website with a specific browser. The devs provided you a code platform compatible for all popular browsers. There is nothing wrong with that, right?

I've never used Konqueror, so that's acceptable.
I know plenty of people who use Konqueror. Not using specific tags for that browser would put them out of the game. I believe they have the right also to enjoy a pleasant Xen user experience.

Right now in the CSS, I am seeing horrible things, such as:

Code:
border-radius: 5px; -webkit-border-radius: 5px; -moz-border-radius: 5px; -khtml-border-radius: 5px;

Will they be removed, and standardised to

Code:
border-radius: 5px;

soon?

Since Kier said it is done via a CSS rendering class, you could in theory create a program that fetches the browser string (I forget the name right now) and checks for what browser and version. If it supports border-radius: 5px, have it display that. If it doesn't support it at all, don't display it, and if it needs a specific one, figure that out (say -webkit-border-radius: 5px; ) and display strictly that.

Since Kier said it is done via a CSS rendering class, you could in theory create a program that fetches the browser string (I forget the name right now) and checks for what browser and version. If it supports border-radius: 5px, have it display that. If it doesn't support it at all, don't display it, and if it needs a specific one, figure that out (say -webkit-border-radius: 5px; ) and display strictly that.
As Floris said earlier, that probably takes more time than it saves

I am currently eating the people/businesses still using IE 6. It's a pie that's not getting any smaller.
You make them into a pie? Taste?

For businesses, some times they have no choice but to stick with an outdated browser due to products they use not working correctly in a modern browser - so they are willing, just unable.

You make them into a pie? Taste?

For businesses, some times they have no choice but to stick with an outdated browser due to products they use not working correctly in a modern browser - so they are willing, just unable.

IF they made products, i.e. intranets and such that worked properly, following modern standards in the first place. Oh well.

IF they made products, i.e. intranets and such that worked properly, following modern standards in the first place. Oh well.
I was talking about legacy systems that businesses are tied into. As I stated, if the businesses had the choice of software, and the time / resources to upgrade they would.

Unfortunately, due to these legacy systems, it makes it too costly to upgrade.

What people don't realise is that we can use the later technologies and support the fallbacks.
Example:
HTML5 video... we can use the video element to display HTML5 video, then we can use the object/embed fallback inside the video tags. Browsers that don't render the video will render the object/embed.
Absolutely, progressive enhancements and graceful degradation = WIN

Doable, but overkill IMO.

why bother when you can target browsers with the appropriate CSS prefix ??

Why not have a single character username then?
Even better, why not accept these extra bytes, so the web server doesn't have to work three times as hard creating 16 times the amount of bytes, just to remove them for the various types of sessions due with various types of browsers and their versions. Not processing them afterwards saves bytes, saves times, and since it's 8000 cached bytes, on a 25,000+ page site, it's a 10,000 fold of bytes saved by just having 8000 extra bytes. It's just another non-discussion about an interesting topic ct2k7 doesn't know enough about. Interesting question, but has been answered: the answer is no.

Top Bottom