Why are you running an EOL version of PHP?

Why are you still running an EOL version of PHP?

• I don't have access to upgrade PHP myself, and the server owner won't do it for me

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I can't upgrade because other software I use requires an old version of PHP

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I lack the technical know-how to upgrade PHP

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • I don't consider updating PHP to be particularly important

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I’m running PHP 7.latest and that’s fine for me

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • I’m running PHP 8 🥳

Votes: 90 63.8%

• Total voters
Agreed. 7.4.16 is not even close to EOL and right now Xenforo and WordPress are both purring along nicely for me with Apache 2.4, PHP-FPM, and Maria DB 10.3.28. I'm in no rush to leap into PHP 8.0 at this point. I haven't even really explored the benefits and I won't until all the addons and WordPress plugins I use are certified PHP8-compatible. Why fix what isn't broke?

But I sympathize fully with Xenforo's desire to stop supporting EOL versions. I imagine there's a lot of unnecessary code required to make everything backward compatible by now. Total PITA.

I think at some point Xenforo will need to do what WordPress did and simply announce or proclaim that they will no longer support PHP 5.6. That's probably what it will take to get some people off their butts to upgrade. And once the 5.6 guys have upgraded, move on to the next levels: 7.0, 7.2, 7.2, and 7.3 in increments as new versions are released.

Last edited:
IPB has a minimum PHP 7.2 requirement now, so probably no reason XF couldn't get away with at least that min. too.

Now i'm running on PHP 8.0.5 but there no sense to running on PHP 7.0-7.2 because it's unsupported.
I hope that in future, may be in 2.2.6 XenForo Developers will drop 7.0-7.2 and set 7.3 minimum.

I know few legacy projects and even there PHP minimum 7.1.

I don't quite understand the poll. Maybe it would have beetter to mask why running an EOL version (and giving examples)

I'm usin 7.4 and like a lot of people even the xf itslef decares compatibilty with 8, I just don't know about the addons 15 or so addons I'm using.. It would be nice if addons pages listed the compatible php along with the xenfor version, otherwise we are just in trial and error territory and may not discover an issue immediately until some very disgrunteled member points out a problem.

I tend to think it's best to stay one or two versions behind the current.

I can't go higher with XF1.

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF

An unfortunate reality I experience with many clients is about half of them don't seem to update anything, so their running older PHP versions come as no surprise.

Why fix what isn't broke?
Later minor versions of PHP 7 (non-EOL) bring much-improved type safety and error handling, and PHP 8 takes that a step further. Those translate directly to improved security and fewer vulnerabilities, since more can be caught during development with the help of static analysis. As it stands, the XenForo codebase can't benefit from many of those improvements because it's stuck supporting PHP 7.0.

Almost all code has bugs, and some of those bugs are going to be undiscovered security vulnerabilities. Newer PHP versions make it easier to catch those during development. PHP 8.0 in particular is a huge step forward in terms of security.

I may take the plunge with PHP8 on one of my servers this weekend (or one small forum on that server) and see what breaks and what doesn't. Increased security and increased speed is an offer that's hard to turn down.

Top Bottom