What is Xenforo's Stability as a Company? Will it be around in the future?

Francisco Meza

I like the Xenforo software and am interested in purchasing it. My main concern is since Xenforo's a new company, it might not grow the subscriber base large enough to stay in business. I am giving my next project 100% of my efforts. Can anyone share something on the stability of Xenforo as a business (not as the stability of the software) to help us prospective buyers?

There are no sure things in life. But if you are using a well thought out and designed product which was created by talented people with a passion and the product which has been well tested - you could keep using that product forever. It does not suddenly stop working because a meteor crashes to earth.

That was a very sensible reply Dean.

It does however leave the issue of support hanging. But I think that this vigorous community would continue to function for quite some time. With a high possibility of that allowing enough time for XF team to adjust and reorganise after a big setback.
Which is where the parallel with my own business comes in (see above p.2). What I analysed is that I fulfil much the same role as Kier in my own business. If I disappeared I'd be a hell of an act to replace but I think two new people carefully chosen and with a dolloip of luck, could cover a lot of what I do. But the effect would be to halt innovation during the transwition period which I estimate would be about six months. I'd expect the same here.

Comments like "Only you can make the decision" or "You have to take a risk" are NOT helpful.
It's obvious each of us has to make our own decision. The OP would not have started this thread if that were not so, and it would not have stirred up responses either.
Yes it's a risk, but there's no ought should or have to, involved. The OP (and others) need to assess how MUCH of a risk it is BECAUSE it is their/ our decision to make.

If you're running a smaller board with few customisations, and it's a personal interest board, the risk is low. You could transfer to other software, or continue with a minimally supported XF perhaps with a friendly coder to help.
But if you're running a mega-big board with 1,000s of members, or with lots of customisation, or it's a commercial project, then a great deal more depends on your decision. Riding off into the sunset with courage and laughter just isn't enough.
I have observed that recently there are mega-big boards moving across and the customisations are being sorted out too. All good signs of a confident community. Definitely getting there fast.

I offer my XF story to illustrate making the big decision. I bought two licenses to support XF on the first day.
But then I held off going live because
a) I needed some mods and b) I was worried about the court case because my decision affects others a lot in my business forum.
A year later the mods are here but so is the court case, still.
My careful decision is therefore to go ahead now with importing my personal community board, but to hold off on the business one until next summer. If I was a one woman business I'd move now I think but the business is not just me.
Delay on the business transfer has the advantage of giving me a pilot project to test on my personal project, so the business which involves seven people and their livelihoods for whom I am responsible, can go extra smoothly. Currently it's on VB3.6 which is adequate for its needs though not inspiring.
There is also the blasted court case. I think it is very unlikely to destroy XF - and I have been tracking it. But I also know the law is an ass, and business cases can be dirty, so there is a small chance of disaster. I am successful in business because I don't let that kind of risk interfere with my projects. I block all known risks so I have plenty of spare rope for the unexpected.
Plus I am much much more careful when I'm responsible for others, two of whom are beloved family, five of whom, are long term respected colleagues. I'm just not going to put those people to any risk at all, let alone my clients many of whom are vulnerable people who come to us for urgent support services.

XF foreva! and I'll help if there is ever a crisis.
But risk means very different things to different boards.

That was a very sensible reply Dean.

It does however leave the issue of support hanging. But I think that this vigorous community would continue to function for quite some time. With a high possibility of that allowing enough time for XF team to adjust and reorganise after a big setback.
Which is where the parallel with my own business comes in (see above p.2). What I analysed is that I fulfil much the same role as Kier in my own business. If I disappeared I'd be a hell of an act to replace but I think two new people carefully chosen and with a dolloip of luck, could cover a lot of what I do. But the effect would be to halt innovation during the transwition period which I estimate would be about six months. I'd expect the same here.

Comments like "Only you can make the decision" or "You have to take a risk" are NOT helpful.
It's obvious each of us has to make our own decision. The OP would not have started this thread if that were not so, and it would not have stirred up responses either.
Yes it's a risk, but there's no ought should or have to, involved. The OP (and others) need to assess how MUCH of a risk it is BECAUSE it is their/ our decision to make.

If you're running a smaller board with few customisations, and it's a personal interest board, the risk is low. You could transfer to other software, or continue with a minimally supported XF perhaps with a friendly coder to help.
But if you're running a mega-big board with 1,000s of members, or with lots of customisation, or it's a commercial project, then a great deal more depends on your decision. Riding off into the sunset with courage and laughter just isn't enough.
I have observed that recently there are mega-big boards moving across and the customisations are being sorted out too. All good signs of a confident community. Definitely getting there fast.

I offer my XF story to illustrate making the big decision. I bought two licenses to support XF on the first day.
But then I held off going live because
a) I needed some mods and b) I was worried about the court case because my decision affects others a lot in my business forum.
A year later the mods are here but so is the court case, still.
My careful decision is therefore to go ahead now with importing my personal community board, but to hold off on the business one until next summer. If I was a one woman business I'd move now I think but the business is not just me.
Delay on the business transfer has the advantage of giving me a pilot project to test on my personal project, so the business which involves seven people and their livelihoods for whom I am responsible, can go extra smoothly. Currently it's on VB3.6 which is adequate for its needs though not inspiring.
There is also the blasted court case. I think it is very unlikely to destroy XF - and I have been tracking it. But I also know the law is an ass, and business cases can be dirty, so there is a small chance of disaster. I am successful in business because I don't let that kind of risk interfere with my projects. I block all known risks so I have plenty of spare rope for the unexpected.
Plus I am much much more careful when I'm responsible for others, two of whom are beloved family, five of whom, are long term respected colleagues. I'm just not going to put those people to any risk at all, let alone my clients many of whom are vulnerable people who come to us for urgent support services.

XF foreva! and I'll help if there is ever a crisis.
But risk means very different things to different boards.
Thank you soooo much for your story. Some Xenforo customers are really giving me great and honest answers now. At 1st it looked like people were posting super short answers to get some advertising or links pointing back to their site in their signatures. Again, thanks for sharing.

Thanks Schmitz, this kind of answer is what I am looking for; a "real" answer. Maybe I should start a thread and asking ALL hardcore members why they gave XF a chance.
Also, yes the thread was getting ridiculous with all the "what ifs". I was trying to respond some people who were giving, let's say subpar, answers.

In my case, I gave XF a chance because I was looking for alternatives to vB as it was. I was unsatisfied with the software, unsatisfied with the progress being made at it, and frankly, was ready to just toss in the towel. I started looking for alternatives to it, and then heard about XenForo and checked it out.

I loved it as a user, and figured it would be no different as an admin, so I bought my licenses. I'm one again enjoying having forums again, and get a lot more satisfaction working with it than I did the last months I was running vB. Yes, I invested heavily into vB and supporting modifications, but figured it would be better to cut my losses rather than sticking to the idle hope I would get my money'd worth out of it.

That was the risk I took, and even though I did not like knowing I'd essentially be taking a 1k USD loss by cutting vB out, I was confident enough in the XenForo software to take the risk. I typically am not someone to easily gamble, but I'm willing to take a chance if my instincts tell me things will work out. Luckily, sometimes they do :p This was one of those chances, and I bought more licenses since.

yawn.. @Morgain that has several licenses and kindly offered a rich and lengthy post trying to help out a XenForo Pre-Sales Questions thread which also has attracted several likes, I am confused :confused:

It's related to her repeated criticism of my comments, on various threads.

It became boring a while ago.

Brogan I am sorry. My reactions to your comments are mixed. We do react differently at times but at others I thoroughly approve of your ideas. I will try to make that more explicit.
Not that my opinion can really matter to someone as important as you. Must be like a mouse squeak. But I suppose that can be a very minor irritation.

Ikonboard is horrible, lol, Wasn't even worth the lawsuite,

As of right now, I think

Xenforo
IPB 1.3 (modified orginal final)
Punbb/Fluxbb

In that order, are the best versions.

IPB 3.1 and up is slow as crap, same for vbully

This isn't really an opinion either, Fluxbb is a tad bit faster then xenforo, but xenforo has way more features and it's FAST, so that's why it's ahead

Well it is your opinion as its not based on fact.

Just like in my opinion the list would be:

Xenforo
IPB 3.2
Vbulletin 3.8
MyBB

It's fact... IPB 3.2 and vbulletin are slow and bulky.

Atleast you got xenforo in the top, lol

Wheres the proof? :rolleyes:

I use IPB 3.2 on another site, and I must say im pretty impressed with it. Its come on leap and bounds since 3.1.

Yes IPB 3.2 might be a bit slower then Xenforo, but then it has a lot more built into it.

Ps - Saying somethings fact dosent make it fact ;)

Wheres the proof? :rolleyes:

I use IPB 3.2 on another site, and I must say im pretty impressed with it. Its come on leap and bounds since 3.1.

Yes IPB 3.2 might be a bit slower then Xenforo, but then it has a lot more built into it.

Ps - Saying somethings fact dosent make it fact ;)
What does that say?
IPBoard a lot and not a bit of a slow-xF, and has much less scope to adjust the forum, while the XF-in can do anything you want with a little knowledge, or seeking help in this forum
Recently released on IPBoard an one exploit, through which it is possible to enter the admin panel with admin account :) could soon have a problem with that:)

@edit
Do not get me wrong, every day I work with all types of SMF forum, phpBB3, MyBB, vBulletin, ipboard and of course xenforoa.
But I prefer xenforo, because by far the best:)

IIRC The iKonboard lawsuit was over ownership and not forum vs forum.
It's all the same; the ownership dispute was about the founder and the parent company fighting over the name. But iB and Jelsoft did come to an agreement, however, parent company and programmer(s) have difference of opinion about vB4's re-programming.

What I got from the iKonboards lawsuit is that the parent company wants more control over the final say in iKonboards' future. The founder didn't like where it was going. Ultimately, iKonboards died off a slow death. Right now, the programmer(s) voiced their opinion(s) about the future of vBulletin, and ultimately left the company, then started their own company. That's what started the lawsuit in the first place.

What does that say?
IPBoard a lot and not a bit of a slow-xF, and has much less scope to adjust the forum, while the XF-in can do anything you want with a little knowledge, or seeking help in this forum
Recently released on IPBoard an one exploit, through which it is possible to enter the admin panel with admin account :) could soon have a problem with that:)

@edit
Do not get me wrong, every day I work with all types of SMF forum, phpBB3, MyBB, vBulletin, ipboard and of course xenforoa.
But I prefer xenforo, because by far the best:)

Wheres your proof?! I run both an Xenforo site and an IPB 3.2 site. Yes, IPB 3.2 seems a little slower, but its certainly not something really noticeable.

All forum software at one stage or another will have bugs, exploits found - The test is how the software developers deal with that issue.

Wheres your proof?! I run both an Xenforo site and an IPB 3.2 site. Yes, IPB 3.2 seems a little slower, but its certainly not something really noticeable.

All forum software at one stage or another will have bugs, exploits found - The test is how the software developers deal with that issue.
If you know its slower, doesn't that mean you've noticed it?

If you know its slower, doesn't that mean you've noticed it?
Well its bound to be because it has more weight to it then xenforo.

Just because its slightly slower, dosent make it a bad user experience. Its like saying car 1 is a little bit slower then car 2 - both are nice to look at and use though.

Top Bottom