What happens to ppls forums if the worst comes from the legal accusations?

Fluck Vbully, here's my message to them.... I'm keeping my XF software either way. Sue me next? Oh I'm sure a jury would just love to see how their staff treat their customers.

They may not have to sue you - you might just get this nifty graphic on your whole site

344063-ice-domain-seizure-notice.jpg

Parading horrors. I'm sure if IB did this to all XF sites, it wouldn't exactly be a great business move. LOL

They wouldnt have to. Most would obey the law I would assume.

I dont know if IB is going to win or not. At this point its impossible to tell. People thought OJ was a slam dunk, same with the Casey case. And even if they lose, dont forget, IB can then appeal... (So could XF if they lose) XF has to defend against that too. ALL that I am saying is that nothing is as cut and dry as some of you seem to think.

Loving the repeated use of the word knob. :D
Loving the fact that you pointed that out (made me laugh) :LOL:

... you guys are funny (and not just in the strange way)

Anyway, there were basically a collision of answers, and before this thread spins of into something else (and the angry poster start jumping over it), I think I can summarise.
I've snipped out a few answers and quoted them ;)

If the worse case scenario happened:

1 . This implied the lose of support, but we could carry on using the software <= Meh, it's already several years ahead of the other forum software (for me this wouldn't be a show stopper, but it might for others)
But before i bought Xenforo i asked a lawyer what the worse case scenario would be for me if Xenforo was defeated in court and that is the license could be revoked well for giving support to Xenforo and because it was cheap i thought who cares.
(If this is "correct" legal advise, then this is surely the answer? It was also the answer I was hoping for, given the worse case scenario)

2. This implied un-installation (or your host revokes access) <= bad!
if XF loose, customers are using copyrighted code that they have no license to use. If worst comes to worst, you will have to stop using Xenforo

3. This one implied that there might not be a real impact to the forum admins <= good for forum admins (in a selfish way, but might hurt Kiers pocket in the short term)
buy a license that would mean rewrite of the effected parts of the software and everyone then needs to upgrade because you violate copyright

4. Implying nobody really knows or can be certrain of any outcome
There are a few possibilities ...

5. Implies thats this question is silly Tenants, Xenforo are surely going to win... why did you ask it ;)
Or think on the positive, XenForo is going to win and then you have a 2 year headstart on everyone who doesn't have XenForo :D

Well... hey, that's 1 bad 2 reasonable & 1 unknown <= And this is given the worse case scenario, that XF lose!
There was also 1 good outcome (that XF wins anyway, which is possibly the most likely outcome)

There is no need for offical answers from anyone (I don't know, but this might not be something that there can be offical answers for)... thank you everyone ;)

[Due to clash of answers, it sounds like nobody can be certain, so if a mod feels they want to close this thread.. I'm happy for it to be closed ;) .. or not ]

Say they do lose to the copyright claims...and since I own a vb4 and 3 license...does that mean I'm ok to use xenforo?

Folks:

A lot of discussion here is based on merely speculation. Here are some general high level facts:
  • Money has been exchanged hands from us to XenForo
  • A license aka contract has been established
  • The contract can't just simply disappear.
Anyone remember the old PhotoPost lawsuit against vBAdvanced? From a high level standpoint, it too was also a copyright infringement case (though completely different merits and points). The case was however settled, but those of us who had vBGallery licenses were essentially transferred over to PhotoPost. Photopost simply could not dissolve the license we had. They had to assume the license terms and also give us grace periods to accept the new ones (I for one didn't.)
For the most part, we shouldn't have to worry needlessly.

Loving the fact that you pointed that out (made me laugh) :LOL:

... you guys are funny (and not just in the strange way)

Anyway, there were basically a collision of answers, and before this thread spins of into something else (and the angry poster start jumping over it), I think I can summarise.
I've snipped out a few answers and quoted them ;)

If the worse case scenario happened:

1 . This implied the lose of support, but we could carry on using the software <= Meh, it's already several years ahead of the other forum software (for me this wouldn't be a show stopper, but it might for others)
(If this is "correct" legal advise, then this is surely the answer? It was also the answer I was hoping for, given the worse case scenario)

2. This implied un-installation (or your host revokes access) <= bad!

3. This one implied that there might not be a real impact to the forum admins <= good for forum admins (in a selfish way, but might hurt Kiers pocket in the short term)

4. Implying nobody really knows or can be certrain of any outcome

5. Implies thats this question is silly Tenants, Xenforo are surely going to win... why did you ask it ;)

Well... hey, that's 1 bad 2 reasonable & 1 unknown <= And this is given the worse case scenario, that XF lose!
There was also 1 good outcome (that XF wins anyway, which is possibly the most likely outcome)

There is no need for offical answers from anyone (I don't know, but this might not be something that there can be offical answers for)... thank you everyone ;)

[Due to clash of answers, it sounds like nobody can be certain, so if a mod feels they want to close this thread.. I'm happy for it to be closed ;) .. or not ]

The problem with ip law is that you never know what will happen look at Google vs Oracle for instance. There to many out comes and if you take in account what judges can say about what they can and cant do its looking in a crystal sphere. What i said is worse case and then i mean absolute worse case. But if you look at the case files that are posted even the expert from the competition said there is nothing in xenforo. The problem xenforo has there a little company and they need income to get income for there family and defence.

Didnt these guys fit that criteria? http://megaupload.com/
You are being silly now.

Anyway, I am very willing to take IB to court if they need to. I'm pretty sure that they are not really eager to get into the whole vb4 fraud issue. And by chance, many people with a XF license are also the ones who have been conned by Internet Brands. While its not worth the effort for each vb4 license holder to sue Internet Brands over it, this sure changes if IB decides to twist our arms and forces us to form a collective for this purpose.

And trust me, that case against IB is very strong and well supported by documented evidence.

I love all the threads like this, it's so funny to see all the lawyers come out and take time out of their day and reply to these types of threads to tell us how it's going to play out. LMAO!

I love all the threads like this, it's so funny to see all the lawyers come out and take time out of their day and reply to these types of threads to tell us how it's going to play out. LMAO!
I've always thought the same thing. Also it's remarkable how many clairvoyants we have also.
It's one thing to be a hopeful optimistic but another thing to predict how it will play out.
Like an earlier post, I would have bet my house that OJ would have been found guilty. Who knew? :)

5 words.

FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!
Question is though, if a Judge rules that the IP from XFL is then property of vBSI, why would you still want to use it? Despite that the version you got is good. Personally I wouldn't want to support it anymore at that point. I rather install a guestbook.cgi again on my 1994 static html 3.2 site saying "hello world".

Top Bottom