What are your system specs?

My specs for the computer i'm currently on I'll make an update post at some point with all my computers once i find my decent camera. The other pics are things that made my life easier/better so they get some airtime here.

dinovo.jpg

jbod.jpg

user.jpg

open.jpg

apple laptops are well priced for the spec range they're in (low end macbook is still too pricy). The desktops are just flat out overpriced, I see no way you could argue otherwise, the specs are so-so on them but the prices are through the roof. My desktop is a high end gaming PC, and with monitor it costs less than the cheapest iMac, and beats it with every component.

I do own a macbook though, and this "still works flawlessly" thing keep saying about Macs is just a load of crap tbh, hardware breaks, it doesn't matter if it's all put together into a macbook or a HP thingy mah bob, they tend to be the same components. The only broken parts on my macbook are macbook specific parts, I wont say more than that ;)

Nice clean OS though, nice to work in

From start to finish, setting up a mac desktop took us less than 10 mins. And that was from bringing it in the door to being able to be online and surfing the web, all updates installed. Can you say the same for a PC? It takes you longer than that to get thru the updates required by Windows just to see the "let me see if you are legal" screen.

Mac desktop, 5 years, nothing has broken or died. We've gone thru two PC desktops in the same amount of time. 

My MacBook Pro is now older than either one of the laptops that keeled over and died painful deaths. And I am running the same graphics intensive software on it as I did on them. They each died just after the warranty expired. This one is now 2 1/2 years old. And going strong.

Yes, hardware fails but the computers except the Mac Pro use Intel Core processors, and all Mac Pros use Intel Xeons. MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air use 9400M graphic cards. A very limited range of hardware means a very specific range of drivers. Unlike PC's where you have to support everything under the sun. 

Liz 

the extra 20 mins of setup time is worth the several hundred of savings :D Again, I've never had a PC component fail on me in at least 10 years. My macbook is literally falling to pieces. I'm not saying macs are less reliable, just saying they're not more reliable.

I'm still not convinced [desktop] macs, especially the mac pro, are anything other than overpriced

Hi guys. :p

I currently have a late 2009 iMac. It's the 21.5" version with a 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of DDR3 RAM and a 500GB hard drive. It's not the latest and greatest spec but it packs a powerful punch for what I want, and I don't think I'll see myself upgrading it in a long time!

It's very easy to use and I enjoy developing things using it. :)

I'm currently in the process of revamping my workstation though, will probably be going over to IKEA to get a new desk and chair at the weekend!

My rig:

f2e189647cc5dde74339be2c2421dc9808ee5b874701b46c921f559a8889bfcb4g.jpg

Mac Pro 12 x 2.93 GHz Intel Xeon
64 GB RAM
ATI 5870
5 x 2 TB HD
Apple Cinema Display 30"
Apple Display 20"

You sir must be trying to re-render the world. :-)

I'm waiting to see some real performance reviews after it's been out for a while but plan if all is good to rebuild my home server with one of these and for my main rigs i will be upping them to gulftown 6-cores and putting the i7 quads (respectively) in my mothers an nieces rigs that I am building. Anyone that tries the xeon ahead of me please do a review...

For me, home-built desktop that's now just over 2 years old:

Core i7 920 Quad core 2.67Ghz
6GB DDR3
6TB storage (internal + external)
ASUS Motherboard, Antec p182 case
ATI Radeon 4850 Graphics
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
1x 22" TFT + 1 x 20" TFT

Still very happy with it, although might upgrade the graphics card soon :)

Even without the spirits I have my vodkaholic moments :D

It displays everything ...news feeds, computer specs, network stats, emails, movie titles, fan speed display, ect ect..

Hehe, I'm glad I ordered my RAM from OWC :) actually, its impossible to equip any Mac Pro with 64 gigs of memory directly from Apple.

Btw, as we speak the amount of used RAM is currently at 51.3 GB :unsure:
As I read I think that you have to be rendering video or 3d with ridiculous resolution ...what are you doing with 16 "average" pc's worth of ram :)

Hehe, I'm glad I ordered my RAM from OWC :) actually, its impossible to equip any Mac Pro with 64 gigs of memory directly from Apple.

Btw, as we speak the amount of used RAM is currently at 51.3 GB :unsure:
Actually, you can order a Mac Pro with 64GB RAM from Apple now... Not sure when they updated to CTO options, but there's 64GB RAM option available now. :)

Actually, you can order a Mac Pro with 64GB RAM from Apple now... Not sure when they updated to CTO options, but there's 64GB RAM option available now. :)
Oh, I was not aware of that. But my argument still stands, at least half way there. Because the RAM prices from Apple are still horribly high. Oh well, the more RAM, the merrier :)

Top Bottom