XF 2.2 Welcome to XenForo 2.2 / What's still to come

XenForo Community 2.2.webpWe've spent the last few weeks talking about the new features in XenForo 2.2. Now, it's your first chance to try some of them out and help us put them through their paces. Welcome to XenForo 2.2! đź‘‹

As you may notice, we have started converting some of our forums to more specific forum types. We've also enabled all general discussion thread types in the testing forum.

What's still to come

While our previous "have you seen" threads have announced most of what's coming in XenForo 2.2, we haven't touched on our official add-ons. There are improvements coming to each of them (beyond getting support for changes we already announced in 2.2), but we're not quite ready to announce these changes yet. Until we do, what you see running here is essentially the same as the 2.1-based version of our add-ons.

Beyond the add-ons, we still have a few more improvements to XenForo 2.2 itself that are still in the oven right now. These include improvements based on feedback we've received from the previous have you seens and some improvements to things we haven't touched on yet.

Keep your eyes peeled! (Disclaimer: please do not actually peel your eyes.)

Next steps

We're now starting the first steps towards releasing XenForo 2.2 by testing it here. So please, if you notice any bugs or problems, report them to us.

Once we finish off the changes we still have in the pipeline and are happy with the stability of 2.2, the first beta will be released to all customers with active licenses. Beta versions are not officially supported and we don't recommend running them on production installs. This is an opportunity for people to test and for resource authors to make the necessary changes to support the new version. From there, we'll continue releasing beta versions until we're ready to move onto the release candidate stage, which essentially means that we believe the version is close to being an officially supported release (but it's not yet!). Finally, and only once we've gone through each of these stages, XenForo 2.2.0 will be released as an officially supported/recommended release... and we can all celebrate!

But in the meantime, we still have work to do! đź’Ş

That's too bad, as I think down voting a suggestion would give even more valuable feedback than just up voting alone.

Plus, wouldn't potential customers think that only half of the system was implemented? They really wouldn't know better.
I would like to down-vote things like complete CMS and a real App that some user like but I don't think the developers should spend time on.

Also not keen on the gradient in the editor. Not a good idea to have gradient behind icons and text that you're trying to read imo. Does look a little dated.

Something a little more Githubby could work better with the new tab system.

1593009588550.png

Not sure about the new 'More options' menu bars either.

I like the idea of the sticky bar for more options, but for icons that I don't use regularly I also like the fact that on 2.1 you can read the icon descriptions all at once. Which means you don't have to hover over each one to guess what the icon means.

1593009765844.png

Maybe it's something I'll get used to though, think I just need to spend some time with it. Or maybe it will work better if you do manage shuffle the desktop view to get more icons visible by default. Or a better way to indicate what's in each of the four dropdowns. Which of the dropdown should I be looking in for the thing I can't find?

Maybe have just one mega expandable bar with with all the options and section seperators so we don't have to open each menu?

That, I agree with. I would never feel compelled to downvote here. The way it works I figure others may want what I don't and XF has final say so no reason for me to dv. I may on the rare occasion if it is ludicrous lol. But I can see why it is disabled.

But you only can make one downvote per suggestion. So I can't see this having any impact.
All new suggestions start with 0. I could make a habit of it to put them to -1 and influence people's impressions by doing this.

Also downvoting hundreds of threads will grant my thread with 0 upvotes an advantage over hundreds of threads.

Also, if I dislike you as a person, I can go and downvote you specifically with no real reason.

And I could form a group with 5-6 users and we all could go and downvote people's threads. Knowing that most threads are in the range of 0-10 upvotes, this would have a huge impact to the system. I could manipulate it too much.

That is why for reactions it is not smart to have negative reactions. People will abuse the system just because they don't like you.

This is one of the major factors that influenced our decision.
That's a little ridiculous. Why implement a feature and suggestion forums for XF if you don't like it.

Release the Kraken. That's the whole point of it all. Without the downvote it's practically EXACTLY as it was before with the likes.

All new suggestions start with 0. I could make a habit of it to put them to -1 and influence people's impressions by doing this.

Also downvoting hundreds of threads will grant my thread with 0 upvotes an advantage over hundreds of threads.

Also, if I dislike you as a person, I can go and downvote you specifically with no real reason.

And I could form a group with 5-6 users and we all could go and downvote people's threads. Knowing that most threads are in the range of 0-10 upvotes, this would have a huge impact to the system. I could manipulate it too much.

That is why for reactions it is not smart to have negative reactions. People will abuse the system just because they don't like you.

You need to give this community more credit than that. 99.9% of this community would not do what I quoted. And if I (for example) have enough members not like me to put any suggestions I make into a record setting negative number I think I would have been banned, or at the least be ignored by so many members my suggestions would have no to little activity, anyways.

Again ridiculous. Release the Kraken. The above can be handled through good moderation.

If there's no downvote than what's the point?

That's a strange take.

We very much like the feature, we just don't think it's a great fit for this forum.
As long as you enable all features of the software in the test areas then I do not see any issue with you deciding to disable it in the official areas of this site.

That's a little ridiculous. Why implement a feature and suggestion forums for XF if you don't like it.

Release the Kraken. That's the whole point of it all. Without the downvote it's practically EXACTLY as it was before with the likes.
I wouldn't say it's exactly the same. Now we can tell exactly how many up-votes a suggestion has before we even go into the thread itself. It also allows the option to sort all suggestions by vote count.

I don't see the need of down voting a suggestion on this forum itself. If you don't want it, don't vote for it. Just like on reddit people will start using the vote options the way they are not supposed to be used (i don't like this person, this has nothing to do with me, etc etc).

That's a strange take.

We very much like the feature, we just don't think it's a great fit for this forum.
It's not a strange take. It was the biggest new feature of your suggestion forum feature.

And you're not using it on your suggestion forum. Without downvotes it's the same as likes and the old system.

Doesn't make sense.

A Suggestion forum isn't a test area yet but I could see that.
The suggestion forum in my opinion is an official area. If there is a "Anything you post in these forums is testing only" set of forums then go for it. Enable it. It can show the features there.

Top Bottom