Website Growth Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
^I agree with that; if the valley is segmented enough into various cities, then I would add forums to distinguish locales in each area.

I would steer away from your current setup of having about one-third of your forums be off-topic. You can create forums for local events, perhaps, but general music/movies topics might be better off in one Off-Topic forum. Instead, I would add forums for local events, businesses, upcoming concerts/shows, local news, schooling, jobs, restaurants, etc. If someone joins and notices something missing, you can just add another section for it.

The local meet-up idea is good, too; since you're all close, there wouldn't be many problems there. :)

Ugh; a local forum would be fun if we weren't all on Twitter already. lol

The problem with that is that Mahoning Valley covers a good chunk of NE Ohio and NW Pennsylvania. Well over 400 + towns/cities.

I agree with the rest of what you said Kurt and will work on that.

I would steer away from your current setup of having about one-third of your forums be off-topic. You can create forums for local events, perhaps, but general music/movies topics might be better off in one Off-Topic forum. Instead, I would add forums for local events, businesses, upcoming concerts/shows, local news, schooling, jobs, restaurants, etc. If someone joins and notices something missing, you can just add another section for it.
Would you be willing to give me a forum lay-out of what you're talking about above?

Yeah; for right now, I'd probably suggest keeping it based on the whole Valley--you can segment (and into regions if applicable--subforums for each city would only be necessary if the site gets huuuge) once the site's larger, I think.

As far as forums go, I'd do something like this:

-Forum News and Feedback

-Local News
-Local Events (maybe not if you do the subforums below)
-Tourism/Local Attractions (to attract outside visitors, perhaps--show 'em what's hot in the area)
-Politics
-Music, Movies, and Entertainment (this could include your local radio stations)
--Upcoming Events (for concerts, shows, etc.)
--Reviews?
-Businesses
--Local Deals?
--Reviews?
-Employment
-Education
-Restaurants

-Off-Topic

Just had a wacky idea: look at the different sections of your local newspaper. That would show you how you could segment your forum and what people would be interested in.

ooooooh ok, I see what you're saying. I had in mind to make it a more "meet new friends, tell us about your kids, pets, work, etc etc etc".

I have some of what you listed already, under Valley Talk.

You see something totally different, and I'm betting that I can meld the two together.
I'll work on this tomorrow.

ooooooh ok, I see what you're saying. I had in mind to make it a more "meet new friends, tell us about your kids, pets, work, etc etc etc".

You see something totally different, and I'm betting that I can meld the two together.
I'll work on this tomorrow.
You could definitely do something with that as well--since it's community-oriented, I think you'd definitely be good to offer such an environment on the site. :) Looking forward to seeing what you're planning!

I'll probably keep most of the categories that I have now. But I can implement some of your suggestions, such as -

-Forum News
--Announcements and Feedback
--Say Hello (intros)

-Valley Talk
--Local Chat (what's happening in your area, things around town, or the valley, that might be of interest to other members - upcoming events, new stores, new restaurants, hiked gas prices, etc)
--Businesses
--Education
--State and Local Politics
--Sports

-Tourism / Attractions

-Socially Speaking
--Family
--Singles/Dating

-Off Topic
--general chat
--games, jokes, stories

Or something like that.

Ok I have reorganized the category/forums layout somewhat. More to do tomorrow.
Whatcha think so far?

Peggy: your site doesn't have any content. You'll need content to get people finding your site via google, etc.
You should use a Wordpress Blog as the HomePage to get the message out about what your site is about. Google loves blogs and really loves Wordpress. The Blog Posts should be on the topics you want people to talk about in the forums.

Getting other sites to link to you would be helpful .. but not easy to do.

Peggy: your site doesn't have any content. You'll need content to get people finding your site via google, etc.
You should use a Wordpress Blog as the HomePage to get the message out about what your site is about. Google loves blogs and really loves Wordpress. The Blog Posts should be on the topics you want people to talk about in the forums.

Getting other sites to link to you would be helpful .. but not easy to do.

Thanks, I'm working on content. Too slowly I know, but I am!

Wordpress, check. I'll also check into that wrap-around add-on here too. Thanks!

Thanks, I'm working on content. Too slowly I know, but I am!

Wordpress, check. I'll also check into that wrap-around add-on here too. Thanks!

Also whenever you visit around town for shopping you can pass your flyers to business owners around town and ask them to join and promote their business by sharing special offers & information about their business. I have seen few owners around community sites who share special offers/coupons for their business time to time .

Just a quick idea... instead of reviewing local businesses and such, why not just write about your experiences? Your local walk around the area, or maybe a shop that had awful customer service. If people agree/disagree, they might post their own experiences.
Maybe even write about your favourite places for specific activities.

ok reallllllyy dumb question :rolleyes:....... I need a separate database for the Wordpress right?

(sorry, I have a wp blog and I have a forum, but have never used the 2 together - I don't think.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom