VPS configuration for beginner

Joan1211

Good day to everyone .

For a week I am using Xenforo cloud, but I would like to migrate with a license and the self hosted VPS solution. I have a few VPS with Hetzner running on Windows server. As I understand, Linux would be preferable but I am not good enough to configure it.
I have found plenty of tutorials explaining how to install Xenforo on a VPS but all of these tutorials assume that the VPS is already configured. I spent several hours looking on internet, but maybe I missed it: is there a tutorial for beginners on how to install Xenforo from the beggining (not assuming that the server is ready to use)?

I followed the original tutorial https://xenforo.com/docs/dev/linux-dev/ made by @Kier, but this still doesn't start from the very beginning, with server installation and configuration.
And as I have very little knowledge of the configuration of a VPS, I am looking for some help.

Does everyone use Cpanel here? Or would it be possible to run and install Xenforo without it? :rolleyes:

I am intending to go with Hetzner as I am currently satisfied with them. But which OS to use? Ubunto, Debian, CentOS? (and which version?)

When buying the license I could use the "installation service made by a representative of Xenforo", however, I need to see how this installation is made from the very beginning to be able to do it by myself later if needed. I am not sure that the representative would agree to show me how he proceed to the full installation.
Therefore I am looking for a complete tutorial.

Thank you very much for your help.

PS: Do I need to use transactionnal email services like Sendgrid, Mailgun etc...? (I am already using Sendgrid for another website, and this was a mess to configure, I had to hire a developer for this).

PS2: I am ready to use the services of a professional if this person would agree to perform the installation of VPS-Xenforo-Mails directly on my computer via teamviewer.

Yes, it is possible.. but it requires further configuration and cost encumbrances.
For me... I have an old account at ZoHo that allows me 5 email addresses to use.... and I have them for my bounced, unsubscribe, main admin and my personal email accounts. New accounts with them don't get the same benefit as you have to pay extra for it... but it's actually simpler to configure than with Amazon for anything other than transactional email.

So the public Centmin script works for Alma, right now? If so, apparently I misread a bunch of stuff. :eek:

It's in private beta testing for a few users only.

Just be carefull with that. Centminmod does not support AlmaLinux for live sites currently. It is in BETA test only. Not sure if @eva2000 likes to have that beta installer code pubished here

That is the public beta available for CentOS7.
@fly Centmin Mod 130.00beta01 is public beta for CentOS 7 - but it also has a private beta installer/code for AlmaLinux/Rocky Linux 8 and 9 (EL8/EL9 OSes) that is invite only for beta testing on AlmaLinux/Rocky Linux 8 only right now (since September 2022). Almalinux prefixed threads https://community.centminmod.com/forums/centos-redhat-oracle-linux-news.31/?prefix_id=83. If you want in on the EL8 beta testing and private forum, hit me up via private message on my forums https://community.centminmod.com/ :) Though could have sworn I did send you an invite.

Reactions: fly
Thanks for answering.
I have actually already checked CentMin Mod and I was expecting to have a control panel and access to a dashboard (like Cpanel). I watched several videos until I figured out that CentMin Mod does not provide this 😂.

I have 0 knowledge on installation via CLI and therefore I had decided to avoid CentMin Mode.
Can you briefly explain what would be the advantage to use this? 🙂

You are the 3rd person that I see is advising this.. so there should be a good reason, but I fail to undertand it..

I am going to have a look at it again.

Just to confirm, for you Hetzner is a good choice? correct?
I'd recommend not jumping in the deep end first. Get a test VPS - a lot can be billed hourly to test and see if it's something you can/want to put effort in learning about. See https://community.centminmod.com/threads/guide-to-learning-more-about-centmin-mod.10838/

If you want to guarantee deliverability... Amazon SES is the way to go.
Yes, depending on traffic it could cost you some funds... but I can promise you, unless your site is a blazing star on size... it will be cheaper than running a VPS with MailCow or such.

I've screwed with this for the past decade.. and have ran my own MTA on several different providers VPS's...and ALL of them had deliverability issues... once I went to Amazon SES... those issues went the way of the dodo.

View attachment 280902
The issue is a false positive... and related to Amazon SES itself.... not something I can ultimately control.
While I agree with you on SES, I thought I'd share a crazy anecdote that just happened yesterday. I was setting up some SNS notifications for a client. When I plugged myself into the notifications, Gmail sent both of the confirmation emails (obviously sent by SES) to spam.

For those who are using Hetzner, how do you handle backups?

There are 2 options: backup or snapshot.
I usually like to use snapshot, it allows me to duplicate the server, or allows me to rebuilt the original server. All done in few minutes. And the price is very affordable.

But maybe you prefer to use backups which are done automatically, and daily?

Have you already have to use a backup to restore your forum?
Was is a mess to reconfigure everything?

I am wondering because my Webuzo control panel offers me the possibility to do daily backup also. I just need extra storage. At the end the cost will be the same.

But I’m just trying to go with the easiest way to restore a backup.

While I'm not specifically familiar with Hetzer, keep in mind that with snapshots you might not end up with an application consistent backup. While I've never had a problem restoring from snapshots (on AWS), problems are still possible since anything in RAM not yet written to disk is not captured. 99.9% of the time its fine, but something to think about.

yes it seems that when you take a backup/snapshot you need to shut down the server:

"When creating Backups or Snapshots, we recommend that you power off your server to ensure data consistency on the disk. You can also create them from a running system. However, in this case, we cannot guarantee data consistency."
S
ource: hetzner

Last edited:
Reactions: fly
For those who are using Hetzner, how do you handle backups?
Very simple little script for me that I run daily via CRON.... and I use macOS's Automator to run Transmit daily and synchronize the remote directory to my local one. Then afterwards I push those out to two attached drives (one USB one network) and then also ship them offsite (again using Automator and Transmit) to a small VPS I have set up on Digital Ocean.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
####################################
#
# Backup for export to remote site script.
#
####################################
mysqldump_location="/path_to_where/you_want_to_store/the backup"
/usr/bin/mysqldump --opt yourdb_name --default-character-set=utf8mb4 > $mysqldump_location/Whatever_you_want_to_call_the_dump.SQL

# What to backup.
backup_files="/directory_to_your_home_html/location"
# Where to backup to.
dest="/where/to/put/your/backups"
# Create archive filename.
day=$(date +%A)
hostname=$(hostname -s)
archive_file="Whatever_you_want_to_name_it-$day.zip"
# Print start status message.
#echo "Backing up $backup_files to $dest/$archive_file"
#date
#echo
# Backup the files using ZIP.
zip -r $dest/$archive_file $backup_files
rm -f $mysqldump_location/The_DB_dump_name_use_above.SQL

Awesome.

But if you are with Hetnzer why not to use their system? If you are in Europe, the backup and snapshot are saved on a different data center to be fire secured. (In US its a bit different, they keep backup in the same datacenter)
Could you use your backups to configure a new VPS to a different provider? Let's say your original VPS is with Hetzner, but you send your back up to digital Ocean.

Could you use this backup to rebuilt your forum, but this time with digital ocean?

I'm just wondering if it is possible to change provider at any point.

I rent a Hetzner dedicated server and run Alma 8 with Centmin.

You have to know what is important in your backup and what's not.
I created my own backup scripts for:
  • XF database
  • All the files in the web folder minus data and internal_data folders
  • data and internal_data folders
(Those folders are enormous on my forum and I want more control over the backup frequency)

Just remember to regularly check if the backups are working by creating a new test setup and restore them.

FYI: When you rent a dedicated server you will also get a 100gb storage box for free where you can store your backups.

I use Hetzer Servers

I use the following

1. Hetzner Daily backups
2. Snapshots whenever I do anything eg upgrading XF, MariaDB, PHP, Nginx
3. Weekly rsynch backups to an offsite server of my own with a script

(Those folders are enormous on my forum and I want more control over the backup frequency)
Well... when i see the number of threads of your forum. i understand that backup of the full website could be resource demending 😂 😂 😂
I am currently at a level of knowledge where backing up the full website is much easier for me. I do not plan to have more then 300 users. Its for a small project.

But if you are with Hetnzer why not to use their system?
Because the only person I trust to do a valid backup is myself.... have seen relying on others too often result in data loss.

Could you use this backup to rebuilt your forum, but this time with digital ocean?
Yep... and that is one of the very reasons I do my own.... I can grab a VPS from any provider, burn out the OS to it and in about an hour have my site back fully operational at another provider. In fact, that is exactly what I did with the move from my old main DO VPS instance to Hetzner.... and then again when I started using @eva2000's BETA release for AlmaLinux since I had to do a fresh install on a larger Hetzner VPS (started with a 2GB offering then moved it over to the larger one and from CentOS to AlmaLinux.
My small DO VPS is only used for remote storage of those backups. I have been toying with the idea of setting up rsync and letting it be automated.... but this way I can keep an eye on it easily.

what is the purpose of doing that?

I hold my own backups - on my own server.......

If you read any of the datacenter backups small print (at leats in my opinion of those I have used in the past) - none of them are liable if they have a problem - been caught before with a corrupt recent backup that wouldn't work and lost a load of data as had to resort to an old backup, so by having their backup and my own backup (I personally use two Synology servers for my own backups at my place of work), it may be belt and braces but when you go to use a backup when the turds hit the fan and its corrupt and they say "read the small print we are not liable' the stress levels will go through the roof......

Top Bottom