VBulletin?

Anyone here migrate from vB?
John Carroll Lynch Easy Peasy GIF by ABC Network

It's a very easy migration. The migration system includes a plethora of options to get everything moved over smoothly, as well as URL redirects. I did it now nearly 10 years with XF 1, but it looks like the process is basically the same. See here for a few specifics notes on VB configuration options.

The majority of them are still on vB3 and vB4 and would prefer something more modern, and supported. They often don't feel satisfied with vB5 either from their own experience or based on the feedback from customers who already upgraded to vB5.

We do see a fair few people coming from vB5 these days too, though the installed base of vB5 is drastically lower than earlier versions.

A lot of this is backed up independently by somewhat representative statistics by @digitalpoint:

The majority of them are still on vB3 and vB4 and would prefer something more modern, and supported. They often don't feel satisfied with vB5 either from their own experience or based on the feedback from customers who already upgraded to vB5.
This describes my situation perfectly. I recently switched from vB3 to XF for my forum that's 20+ year old forum with 3 million+ posts.

I was content and comfortable with vB3, but did not like vB4 or vB5 at all. I ran vB3 much longer than I should have, although never experienced any major issues or security breaches. But little things were breaking and I was stuck using an older PHP because vB3 hadn't been supported in years.

Converting over to XF was a pretty significant undertaking in my case, but mostly because of addons and older 3rd party software I was running on vB3. Without those issues I don't think the conversion would have been very hard.

I don't regret the conversion (upgrade) to XF for even one minute. I've been very pleased by the software, support and community of developers offering addons. My forum members have also been very pleased. Many of them have been on my forum for decades and are pretty set in their ways (as am I). But after the upgrade I received a ton of compliments and literally only 1 person wanting to go back (and even that person's complaint was about an issue that actually wasn't related to XF).

We do see a fair few people coming from vB5 these days too, though the installed base of vB5 is drastically lower than earlier versions.

A lot of this is backed up independently by somewhat representative statistics by @digitalpoint:

One of these days, I need to make the new version public. The new site/system is a little more accurate (not by a large margin though because the old was pretty accurate). Just a couple extra things it's looking at now on the new version when fingerprinting sites.

That being said, XenForo's relative marketshare is more than everyone else combined now (as far as platforms it tracks). Invision even has a higher marketshare than vBulletin now. Crazy, because vBulletin was at 75.3% when it started tracking... now 14.3% Ouch, although not unexpected.

1644714345107.webp

VB as a platform appears to be on life support
Support sucks as well. I asked a question like "is there an easy way to remove the forum margins please?"

The answer from the support staff was "Yes"

They seem to relish giving facetious and unhelpful answers. They seem bored with their work, as opposed to the staff here seem to be passionate about the software and answer questions as helpfully as they can, no matter how newish or difficult to comprehend when somebody is not a native English speaker. (y)

I agree. In the aforementioned thread, you can click on my profile and find the straw that broke the camel's back. But let's be careful not to derail this thread with grievances.

Xenforo is absolutely worth the migration. I found a few design behaviors that require a different mindset, particularly the usergroup permission inheritance, but they are all well documented and frankly an improvement. I took the opportunity to significantly reconfigure my usergroup permissions, promotions, notices, and other areas. The forum (its config, at least) is clean as a whistle now.

I was content and comfortable with vB3, but did not like vB4 or vB5 at all.

I was also on vB3 forever.

I never upgraded beyond 3.7 since I had to so heavily customize the base code to play nice with "big board" forums, and knew that 4.x would hammer our server even more. At one point, we had to run two servers, one dedicated to the database, since it presented such a load. To remember and reapply all of those changes even to 3.8 would have been a monunental task. I think it was in 2012 that I moved the biggest of them to XF and I noticed our load averages dropped in half. (Surprisingly, we are still running a server that is several years old--maybe not bleeding edge but the forum still performs really well.) Any performance tweaks I've done with XF have been via addons, so I don't have to touch the XF code anymore.

So yes, even a decade ago, it was totally worth the move. Even more so today, if someone is still running vB.

Support sucks as well. I asked a question like "is there an easy way to remove the forum margins please?"
And it never used to be like that. Especially at vb.org. I didn't ask questions all that often (beyond bothering @eva2000 every few months for database and server tweaks 😉) but followed along on some busy thread containing modifications I needed.

It was good while it lasted, and we can't forget that @Kier and @Mike were both vB developers well over a dozen years ago. And I still say to myself that if they'd had their way, XF1 would probably have been vB4, totally rewritten from the ground up, vs. vB4 piling features on top of the old system.

Top Bottom