vBulletin 6 has arrived, what do you think about it?

Its very easy to see what this "new" version is really about.

Why call it 6.0 when not much has changed? Because it gave them the opportunity to make a huge change to licensing. They have a large number of perpetual licenses that have been able to keep upgrading to the latest VB 5.x version for over a decade. If you have a perpetual VB license, go into the Member Area at vbulletin.com and you'll see you cannot download 6.0.

To use the latest VB you would need to purchase a new license - there's no upgrade option there. And then annual renewal payments.

This also allowed them to jettison maintaining the VB 5 mobile app, which will no longer be available after the VB 5 maintenance period ends in 11 months.
It's no way near as difficult as it once was to work out with the paperwork.
Styles have been tapered back to make it look fresher and with different fonts to make it more cooler and relaxed.
You need to pay for vB 6 which is $179
then you need to wait for the sales guys and then you can download it

Last edited:
You offer a perpetual license to your script... perpetual has a certain legalistic meaning. The way the other script provider basically got around it was they "changed the name" of the script/company as well as giving it a new version number....
Honestly, companies should honor their old licenses, even if the terms change, they should honor those who had it on old terms, or else risk losing them from ever considering purchasing in the future, or even losing potential referrals from said people.

Offtopic Another company got a lot of heat for similar, including from one of their long-term yt video creator partners. Wondershare's Filmora. They stopped allowing LIFETIME license holders (not perpetual, lifetime) to update from 11 or 12 to 13. They got a huge amount of flak from it, so much so that that creator completely stopped using their software and moved to Davinci Resolve instead.

They got a huge amount of flak from it, so much so that that creator completely stopped using their software and moved to Davinci Resolve instead.
Yes but it's not a fair comparison. Davinci Resolve is still the best program for your videos on the market today, shame about the learning curve.

vbulletin 3.9 still seems better than what IB sells to their customers competitors...
IB still is not eating their own dog food.
vbulletin.org still has that going and it is full of bugs.
It's being sunsetted soon in favour of vb 6 having their own marketing square.
vB's cloud option is signifiicantly better as i checked with @Brogan privately for here. Seperate instances need seperate cloud options here but for vB 6 you can have many instances on your cloud account and only have to pay once.

Last edited:
VB 5.x/6.x a poorly implemented, buggy, bloated software package, and with nearly no third-party add-on support. I've seen the database structure with migrations writing custom importer features, and it's a mess as well. It's security history isn't great and the bug count is still large.

No matter how much you polish a turd, it's still a turd.

And for what it's worth, vbulletin.org is not running vBulletin 3.9. vB 3.9 is the version that runs only on Internet Brands forums. vBulletin.org is running a highly customized version of 3.8.

VB 5.x/6.x a poorly implemented, buggy, bloated software package, and with nearly no third-party add-on support. I've seen the database structure with migrations writing custom importer features, and it's a mess as well. It's security history isn't great and the bug count is still large.

And for what it's worth, vbulletin.org is not running vBulletin 3.9. vB 3.9 is the version that runs only on Internet Brands forums. vBulletin.org is running a highly customized version of 3.8.
Haha... Am going to laugh so hard at you.
3.8 is outdated. you have issues with php levels there.
What's 💩 is your attitude to different changes.
Whilst Xenforo is reasonably easy to get working, there are some functionalities that need to be implemented.
Something that i know @Chris D and his crew are working on.
Why worry about old versions of things?
I used to have vb 4.2.5 i had to upgrade due to the php levels i was working with. I've now got vb 6.
I'm merely using vb 6 as an experiemental forum just in case something awesome does come from there.

Whilst Xenforo is reasonably easy to get working, there are some functionalities that need to be implemented.
I used to have vb 4.2.5 i had to upgrade due to the php levels i was working with. I've now got vb 6.
I'm merely using vb 6 as an experiemental forum just in case something awesome does come from there.

You're laughing at him because vbulletin.org is running an old, outdated, version of software? Or am I missing something here?

You reply to things I never said. Do you have comprehension problems?

I never said VB 3.8 wasn't outdated.
I did not advocate for old versions of VB.
I did not indicate in any way I'm "worried" about old versions.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Travel Driving GIF

Yes but it's not a fair comparison. Davinci Resolve is still the best program for your videos on the market today, shame about the learning curve.
DaVinci is much more complex and feature rich, but Filmora used to be good for fast, semi fancy edits. No longer with that while fiasco they had.

*on topic : I've never used bulletin on the server owner side, so I have no actual experience with the software. But I have heard that they haven't been doing that well lately, in addition to them being more expensive than XenForo, automatically puts it lower on the list of potentials for me.

Seperate instances need seperate cloud options here but for vB 6 you can have many instances on your cloud account and only have to pay once.
Can you elaborate on this? vBulletin are happily letting people run as many instances of their cloud offering but there is only one monthly fee regardless of how many instances you have?

So I can have 10 forums on their cloud plan but I'm only paying the same fee I would pay for 1 forum?

Can you elaborate on this? vBulletin are happily letting people run as many instances of their cloud offering but there is only one monthly fee regardless of how many instances you have?

So I can have 10 forums on their cloud plan but I'm only paying the same fee I would pay for 1 forum?
with vbulletin you can have an unlimited amount of instances and only pay for the cloud.
On here if you put your 10 forums they would be like your optus bill with everything being seperately paid for.
I checked with @Brogan last night about xf cloud because i was thinking i might put a couple of forums on there.
vb is like the telstra plus app you have one account and three forums and bundle and save.

High odds that if they are... it's all using the same bucket of "connections/storage/bandwidth". For low volume sites, it may work well.. but if any one site picks up with activity (something that I don't think is a major concern with that situation given), it will kill the others.
Although looking at their "blurbs"... it's singular sites, not multiple from what I saw... but I honestly did not dig that deep as I really don't care about vBulletin and their lacking offerings.

Last edited:
Also vBulletin is more professional.
Xenforo has people on here part time so aren't always avaliable.
To be fair on the XF staff here they do have other jobs they attend to.
I reckon they need to put more staff on to be fair.
So that they can concentrate on everything else that needs to be done.

So what you're telling me is not even the site creating the product uses their own product???

Top Bottom