vb5 beta released, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread listing looks weird with the icon on a row by itself.
View attachment 36698
ummm... this is how I see it...
vb5.webp

I tried out the admin area as part of their 'site builder demo' and it's still basically the vb3 admin area. The only difference is that 'Forums' are called 'Channels' however the page still loads 'forums.php' when you go to view/edit them in the admin area, and there are still references to 'forums' all over the place.

Calling them 'channels' just seems like a pathetic attempt at modernising it by the marketing department.

The whole thing whilst works fairly well, still feels like lipstick on a pig. Let the damn codebase and 10 year old admin area design die with dignity, dont keep recolouring them and calling it a 'complete redesign'.

The only difference is that 'Forums' are called 'Channels' however the page still loads 'forums.php'
haha !
Especially in the earliest beta, they tried to not use the word Forum.
Except it was a forum.

Calling them 'channels' just seems like a pathetic attempt at modernising it by the marketing department.
Exactly.

I see they still call it ..
Mark Channels Read

I give IB credit for trying to move vBulletin "beyond just forums". It is the way to go. They just didn't pick the right way ! Some of the ideas in vBulletin 5 are excellent ... but as my programmer friends tell me ..."Implementation is everything" and it looks like they've failed miserably on the implementation. Certainly, the way forward was to make a KILLER forum with lots of excellent OPTIONS ... and charge for all those options. Seems like they've concentrated on all the options and tacked on a bloated forum.

It will be interesting to see when vB5 is ready for vBulletin.com
It will also be interesting to see when their old school car forums currently on vB3.7 will run vB5. Probably never.

Well, IB just hired Mark.B without an official announcement.

That should keep the drama level high, increase the site promotion spam, and keep Mark.B from flip flipping back to the honest side

you can use this as posting off-topic posts related to that post ;) :p
The way I deal with that is just moving the posts to a new thread (XF mods do this as well) this works much better and it's cleaner too. As a bonus you have a new thread and more posts/activity.

If the posts aren't important enough for their own thread then they aren't important enough to have a whole new comments feature and should just be allowed in the thread. This is a typical add-on feature that a select few like and doesn't really belong in a core feature lists. But IB likes to brag about features.

Well, IB just hired Mark.B without an official announcement.

That should keep the drama level high, increase the site promotion spam, and keep Mark.B from flip flipping back to the honest side
How many more people are they going to have to hire before they realize that it's not about quantity but quality? Companies this inefficient in use of capital one day pay the price.

They seem to hire in an odd fashion, I mean, they have one very outspoken and rude member of staff who seems to get away with insulting numerous people (I don't think I need to name him.) and now Mark

Not saying Mark is a bad choice, but for someone who was so outspoken about IB being immoral/evil and who is now borderline obsessed with how IB is the next best thing since sliced bread, he would've been the last choice I'd make as staff.

Just seems like a very odd company in general, although given how they kept Lawrence on after his name calling in that thread, is it any surprise they seem to keep bad apples on?

They seem to hire in an odd fashion, I mean, they have one very outspoken and rude member of staff who seems to get away with insulting numerous people (I don't think I need to name him.) and now
There is however a much larger number of rude and ignorant members.
Its well established I dont take **** from anyone, esp the muppets who think they can dish it out and then cry foul when they get the same back, trying to hide behind the "Im a customer" excuse.

Its well established I dont take **** from anyone, esp the muppets who think they can dish it out and then cry foul when they get the same back, trying to hide behind the "Im a customer" excuse.
Fair enough, I don't think that many people have an issue with you, though. I think even you would agree that Mark B is a... somewhat interesting choice at least, if you look at his overall posts in the last two years or so.

And there were no conflicts?

Did not test every single possible option, just install and turn everything on. The goal was to view the home page, post a thread, and reply to a thread with a quote.

To my knowledge (that I can recall) I did not see any conflicts and it there were any they did not prevent me from completing my goal.

I did this with all available add-ons that would install. And it still used less resources and was seemingly faster than vBulletin stock install.

While on the matter, my live site which has 300 customization still is faster than vBulletin 5 stock install. You can view my live site at http://www.SociallyUncensored.eu/forums (y)

As a business it is good business sense to accept customer feedback, even if that feedback is not to your liking.

There seems to be a disconnection there and where vBulletin is lacking.

If I said that it is my opinion that the "30 days free support" was virtually like having no free support, because I believe most people (myself included) would not even use that support in the 1st 30 days, but rather need it after the 30 days... And what is not likely useable is almost like not having it. And that giving it seems more like a technicality.

That is my feedback and opinion. You're free of course to disagree or even ignore it. And yet such ends up edited, deleted, or banned for having it. The feedback is met with hostility, when no hostility was meant to be given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom