vb5 beta released, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% ripped off from Xenforo.

IB.vBulletin.rips.off.Notices.stacked.and.paging.capabilities.webp

According to a member of Admin-Talk.com, vBulletin 5 is the best forum software on the market. http://admin-talk.com/threads/42070/
http://admin-talk.com/threads/42070/#post-478273:
"It is without a doubt the best forum software on the market. And to be honest I like the new sleek look. Plus you are paying for the peice of mind more than anything. Almost all other forum software packages have lack luster security and 0day exploits. Vbulletin fixes them as soon as they know and does a good job of it too.. But as always thats just my opinion.."

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, conclusory statements as "its the best" without support are not very persuasive. Some people like vanilla ice cream, others like chocolate. Saying one is better than the other without support is unpersuasive (though, I think the better analogy is chocolate ice cream vs. anchovy ice cream).

As for paying for piece of mind? Years of undelivered promises from IB does not give me any piece of mind.

All that said, best of luck and good wishes for those who feel this is a good product for them. I am interested to see what happens when anyone ( I have not heard of a single upgrade of an actual site to vB5) actually moves their site. I am interested if it actually works in the real world.

I am interested to see what happens when anyone ( I have not heard of a single upgrade of an actual site to vB5) actually moves their site. I am interested if it actually works in the real world.
Somebody actually upgraded their live site with beta and had some serious issues. I think it was some sort of gaming site, but I don't really remember.

I think they are headed in the right direction (conceptually) with the style, however the implementation is awful. Plus, I can't even find my way around it and the font size is difficult to read.

http://admin-talk.com/threads/42070/#post-478273:
"It is without a doubt the best forum software on the market. And to be honest I like the new sleek look. Plus you are paying for the peice of mind more than anything. Almost all other forum software packages have lack luster security and 0day exploits. Vbulletin fixes them as soon as they know and does a good job of it too.. But as always thats just my opinion.."

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, conclusory statements as "its the best" without support are not very persuasive. Some people like vanilla ice cream, others like chocolate. Saying one is better than the other without support is unpersuasive (though, I think the better analogy is chocolate ice cream vs. anchovy ice cream).

As for paying for piece of mind? Years of undelivered promises from IB does not give me any piece of mind.

All that said, best of luck and good wishes for those who feel this is a good product for them. I am interested to see what happens when anyone ( I have not heard of a single upgrade of an actual site to vB5) actually moves their site. I am interested if it actually works in the real world.

That made me laugh.

They only fix them when it'll hurt their credibility.

Let's look at all the post since we're trying to pick on my members. (y)

http://admin-talk.com/threads/42070/#post-478329

I said Vbulletin is the best forum software hands down.. This is proven.. I really do not have any burden of proof on that one. I never said V5 was the best version. I just simple stated Vbulletin is the best. And I am more than welcome to have my mind changed if someone can point to something better and tell me why?? Also, Xenforo is nice and I do own a license, but anyone can clearly see its on the decline and never reached the vbulletin level. So, you will need something else to point to as being better. which I highly doubt you can find.. Goodluck
I agree with his post above, don't be blinded by a closed mind ;)

The full quote does not do anything to prove any point. It is essentially a matter of opinion (which he is entitled to have....but, I see no basis for the statement that XF is "clearly" on the decline and "never reached vbulletin level." If that is evidence based argument, it would be fine...but it is an opinion. If that is all he has to offer, then I counter with, I think everything he says is wrong. Being just opinion vs. opinion, then it is a draw. But, I don't care a whit about convincing him otherwise).

Don't understand the statement about closed minds.

This talk of the decline is hilarious. Yes XF's development is paused till the resolution of the trial, but the software works flawlessly.

People are clamoring and buzzing on VBulletin forums because the software is broken, and they just want fixed what has been promised to them. People are buzzing and clamoring on this forum because the software is flawless, and they want more of that same goodness!

That's two very different kinds of 'clamoring and buzzing'.

Alright, enjoy your opinions but don't talk trash on my members just because you don't agree with what he said. ;)

I disagree ;)
It's nice, but it certainly has it's flaws.

To inject some substance into the conversation, what are the flaws that you think it certainly has?

Sure thing, I'm actually using xenforo and it's working for me, but it's far from perfect :)
http://xenforo.com/community/forums/bugs/

Fair enough....but if by perfect you mean no bugs under any situation and all environments, then I would agree. As far as any major functionality or issues on "average" servers, browsers, etc., then I would say that it is pretty close to what you would find as "perfect" as far as doing what it is meant to do. I suppose, in the abstract, there is no such thing as "perfect." But, I think "far" from perfect is not an apt description of XF. You appear to disagree though, which is fine. My view is that the bug tracker tends to point the other way, though.

Sure thing, I'm actually using xenforo and it's working for me, but it's far from perfect :)
http://xenforo.com/community/forums/bugs/
Due to the nature of software, I don't consider a bug a flaw as no release or product is ever bugless.

A flaw would be an oversight, or some issue caused by the approach to a feature or functionality. Examples of this for XenForo:

Scalability of styles and add-ons (Quite apparent when you have a lot installed)
Spam management/spam protection
Email template customization
Sidebar customization
Limitations due to the way the default style is built

XenForo is still much more stable and less resource intensive than any release by vBulletin.

lol.. the short story on all this is obviously people here are going to like and say xenforo is the best, and those who use vbulletin will say the same about their product, same will be said for the ipb crowd. ;)

TGIF! (y)

lol.. the short story on all this is obviously people here are going to like and say xenforo is the best, and those who use vbulletin will say the same about their product, same will be said for the ipb crowd. ;)

TGIF! (y)
I never said it was the best, I even pointed out actual flaws in their system.

Where it is better than any other platform is add-on development and style development. It also has less overall issues than most platforms, and is extremely lightweight.

Each system has their strengths, it depends on what you need to use it for.

Let's look at all the post since we're trying to pick on my members. (y)
Brandon Sheley's forum member said:
I said Vbulletin is the best forum software hands down.. This is proven.. I really do not have any burden of proof on that one. I never said V5 was the best version. I just simple stated Vbulletin is the best. And I am more than welcome to have my mind changed if someone can point to something better and tell me why?? Also, Xenforo is nice and I do own a license, but anyone can clearly see its on the decline and never reached the vbulletin level. So, you will need something else to point to as being better. which I highly doubt you can find.. Goodluck

http://admin-talk.com/threads/42070/#post-478329

I agree with his post above, don't be blinded by a closed mind ;)

Your member states that it is the best and I don't have to state why basically and then challanges anyone to tell him what is wrong with it. VBulletin is not on the decline...it has been down, but by controlling what people on their forum can say about it, no one hears ALL of the horror stories...I could give you mine but then again <insert sarcasm>"I really do not have any burden of proof on that one", go ahead and tell me why it is good.

But in the name of playing into the charade here...

Xenforo IS better because...um...it actually works...because I don't have to wait 1 minute for a page load even though I have a 100mbit internet connection, for Christ's sake...I can load a page from an Australian server from my house in the states faster than a page from vb's server. If they are a corporation I have to assume they can afford a better server than even your most successful of forum owner's servers and if they can't, well to me as a consumer that would tell me THEY are on the decline...which is a misnomer because they have been bottomed out for a long time...which comes to another one of my favorite phrases inspired by the upcoming winter...you can't hide crap in the snow forever...when it melts people are going to see all of it...and when it warms up....it is going to smell foul.

Code:
DoFail(Failcount)
{
    software endon( "caught_lying" );
    software endon( "defect_per_manhour" );

your\path\to\wasted\time\_softwaremigration::waitLongTimeWithNoGoodUpdate( Failcount );
}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom