Resource icon

vB4 Importer 3.6b2

No permission to download
Although this importer is depricated it has the huge advantage of importing "post thanks" as "likes". That's why I still use it for my test migrations before and probably for the big bang.

3 related questions:

1.) my live vB forums is still 3.7x and will be till migration to xf. But in order to use this importer I temporarilly upgrade to vB 4.2.1 - that works fine for importing.
Is it possible to use the vB 3.x redirection scripts after the temporal 4.2.1 upgrade, because of course all internal links and Google (and other search engines) do cache all my live vB 3.7 links, not the newer vB 4 urls. So hopefully the IDs of the threads are the same and I can just do the vB4 upgrade temporarilly on my live vB installation and afterwards use the redirection scripts for vB 3.7 though?!

2.) probably to stop support for this importer ;) it would help to extract the "post thanks -> likes" importer as single add-on, which can be used together with the new official vB4 importer in 1.2.0. I guess one cannot simply import the addon-vb4ToXf11.xml file and will see the "post thanks -> likes" option in the new core importer? [Tinhte] XenTag manages to add an option for importing vB tags.

3.) the post thanks are imported correctly into xf and everywhere they are counted correctly. The only place which does not mirror the likes is the "/xenforo/account/likes" page Likes You've Received, which is empty. Does anybody know a custom script to fill that page after importing the post thanks -> likes?

Thanks in advance for any help!

@PyroM

1) The vB3 redirect scripts can work for vB4 as well. If you provide an example old and new thread URL then I can give you exact instructions for your redirects.

2) Here is a query you can use to convert "thanks" to "reputation" which are then imported as "likes."

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/post-thank-you-hack-into-likes.23660/#post-291959

Or try this old addon:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/import-post-thanks-to-likes.5939/

Either method should work with the official vB3 and vB4 importers.

3) I have no explanation for that, unless there was some problem with the import.

Hello Jake

thank you for your time!

1.) here are some examples, first is always vB.3.7.x, second is vB4.2.1. And now, as I prepare the samples for you, I see that it will work. The IDs are always the same and I could have avoided my question. Sorry:

/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3
/forum/forumdisplay.php?3-Name-of-Forum

/forum/showthread.php?t=39763
/forum/showthread.php?39763-Title-of-Thread

/forum/printthread.php?t=39763
/forum/printthread.php?t=39763&pp=15&page=1

/forum/showpost.php?p=617244&postcount=1
/forum/showthread.php?39763-Title-of-Thread&p=617244&viewfull=1#post617244

/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16826&d=1367594376
/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16826&d=1367594376

/forum/archive/index.php/f-3.html
/forum/archive/index.php/f-3.html

/forum/archive/index.php/f-3-p-6.html
/forum/archive/index.php/f-3-p-6.html

/forum/archive/index.php/t-39763.html
/forum/archive/index.php/t-39763.html

/forum/member.php?u=943
/forum/member.php?943-Name-of-User

2.) I will try these old importers, did not know, thank you!

3.) There was never a failure while importing the 163.000 Post Thanks as Likes. All went smooth. /* Edit: it was a permission problem, sorry, this works fine now. */

Thanks again a lot!

Last edited:
I'm trying a little something - I used the official importer and now I commented the "depends =>" from this importer to import Social Groups, Social Groups Images, Albums and Blogs. Still importing, but so far so good.

I've already converted a forum, but I didn't do the albums because I thought the XFUseralbum addon would convert them later. Unfortunately that add-on fails to convert the albums and pictures, so is there ANY way I can use this importer now to just import the albums?

Thank God that I'm testing this in my test-forum. Now I understand that this replace build-in importer :) If I run build-in importer and then this one, everything is duplicated. Lesson learned (check)

I'm trying a little something - I used the official importer and now I commented the "depends =>" from this importer to import Social Groups, Social Groups Images, Albums and Blogs. Still importing, but so far so good.
I followed this and worked but all my articles seems like not to be linked to the users :( Appears the name and 'Guest'

It would be nice if this were to be renamed. As it is, both the official and unofficial vB importer have the same name. I have to go through database validation just to see which one is which based on the options available on the import screen.

It would be nice if this were to be renamed. As it is, both the official and unofficial vB importer have the same name. I have to go through database validation just to see which one is which based on the options available on the import screen.
At the time of development there was no official vBulletin 4 importer.

Also it is recommended that you use one or the other. I personally would endorse the official importer over this one (which was basically a "path job").

At the time of development there was no official vBulletin 4 importer.

Also it is recommended that you use one or the other. I personally would endorse the official importer over this one (which was basically a "path job").

I understand that. My point is, you can't uninstall the official one so if you install this one to use then you have two identical entries in the importer list. If I want to use this one over the stock one because I need CMS and blog content exported to a forum then I have to guess which is which in the menu.

I understand that. My point is, you can't uninstall the official one so if you install this one to use then you have two identical entries in the importer list. If I want to use this one over the stock one because I need CMS and blog content exported to a forum then I have to guess which is which in the menu.
Would like to see @Mike extend the official one.

This was has no plan re-write (and was designed for xenforo 1.1, but will work with 1.2 with that small glitch)

What happens if I lose internet connection for a moment during an import? Can I reload the page and continue or do I have to start from the beginning?

What happens if I lose internet connection for a moment during an import? Can I reload the page and continue or do I have to start from the beginning?

Just go back to tools > import external data and it will promt you to continue.

Hi, Jake!

We are migrating to XenForo today, and, when we're ready to import, I'm assuming we can use this to get only what the official importer can't, such as groups?

Top Bottom