XF 1.2 User Group/Staff Banners

In XenForo 1.1, if you want to customize the display of certain users, you're generally limited to user titles and user name styling. However, sometimes this isn't flexible or clear enough. Sometimes you want to be able to draw attention to multiple things for a single user.

Enter user group banners:

ss-2013-05-29_14-57-28.webp

Banners can be configured per user group:

ss-2013-05-29_14-58-30.webp

(I am aware of the first banner on the second column having its top border wrapped back. This is a browser issue that we're looking into.)

You'll note that this set up is similar to how thread prefixes are configured. You can use custom CSS classes to completely change the display of banners (such as by replacing them with images).

I've demonstrated that you can have more than one banner displaying simultaneously. By default, they'll be displayed in the display style group order (highest first). If the user is a staff member, that banner will take priority.

You can disable this option and configure a few different options (globally):

ss-2013-05-29_15-01-15.webp

You'll also note that you have the option to override standard user titles with banners.

These banners are primarily displayed on messages, but they're also shown on profiles. There is a simple template helper function that can be used to display them anywhere.

I reitterate what has been said many mnay times.

Xenforo just gets better and better.

Im a proud owner of 2 xenforo licenses ;)

I love this. I'm using user rank ribbons now and members seem to like the feature.

I have some questions.

Can you set a limit to how many banners show?

Is there a way to have different sets of banners with their own priority list? For example, if you have it set to show only three banners (if this is an option) , could you set it so one could be for groups. Then the other two would be the two highest priority banners out of a second list? So if a member is a VIP member that would show. Then if you had banners for contests then they would show as well. But if the member won three contests, could it be set so that they only display the top two if the first spot is taken up by the group banner? And maybe show the top 3 if there is now group banner?

James

I was musing over how to do this or what add-on to use but now I'll wait for the upgrade.

It looks like a nice and simple way for a non-codey (like me) to add banners - love it!

When editing the Display Styling, why doesn't it update live like it is done when you create or edit an prefix? Seems a little inconsistent.

Снимок экрана 2013-05-30 в 16.18.07.webp

I have User Rank Ribbons right now and currently users are able to switch in Preferences which one they want to display next to their posts. Will there be a way to let the users choose which one they want in the future? :)

This banners will be in the user group options in v1.2 when it is released. They currently do not exist in v1.1.

I don't thinks this was asked before, but with this can I have a banner that is hidden from other users or user groups? Like if we have a customer user group and would like to label them that way on the front-end using a banner, but have the banner hidden from everyone but staff. Or would I still need to rely on template conditionals to handle that?

With the custom css styling, could we possibly add images as backgrounds? So turn the banners into images for ranks? :)

Just repeating what @King Kovifor said with a yes. This is exactly how I plan on using my own custom design ribbons/other imagery which I'll post a guide on how to do since i made that PSD available so it gives anyone that needs help that know how on how to use imagery.

Top Bottom