Upgrade the ignore function to 'block' / Blocking Ignored Users

Razasharp

I think ignoring someone on a forum has never really worked from a users perspective. On vB you could still see the 'ignored' person had posted, and on XF when you ignore someone it doesn't prevent them from quoting you, seeing your threads, posting in them.

Usually when someone 'ignores' someone, what they really want to do is block them.

Any chance of this being included?

Upvote 82
Of note, I LOVE the 2X Ignore/Block, Turns a ****Storm of a Forum into a Pleasant Summers Rain
That said, to make the world an even better Place, Topics/Original Posts should be 2X Ignored/Blocked as well
Why remind them that you exist
for the most part anyone you want to Ignore/Block is not (by/using that sock) contributing valid topics to the forum
My Ignore/Block list has been growing as those I have in the past I had to put up with have raised their heads for the last time
I have lost Nothing as the trolls were/are nothing more than that.
the Who'z Who of my ignore/block list haven't been seen posting topics, and I have never replied/responded to any of their snarky comments
Is there an option to allow Total 2X Ignore/Block .. or make the ignore choice 3 way with the option to Block Topics by ignored user ???
Thank You in Advance !!!!

This functionality would be really a valuable tool against stalking and harassment of women. Cyberstalking on anonymous forums is so rampant that police generally cannot process reports about it. Online safety is such an important thing. @Kier please consider this when evaluating which suggestions to implement.

My big board offers an avenue of support to women in a vulnerable position. As such it attracts stalkers. If we get reports then we act on it decisively. But often members do not report and just leave or worse: let it continue.

Members need to be able to completely block another member from seeing their content, if they feel that they are being harassed by that member.
This functionality would give vulnerable people important control over such horrible situation.

Online safety is such an important thing.
Agreed, and especially in these fractured, volatile times of ours when so many people are at each other's throats. If it's not politics driving wedges between friends and families, it's violence every time we turn on the news, or people hating on others. I've never seen society this bad. I've also seen moderation issues in our larger forums on a steady increase from issues that could be prevented if members could block others from seeing their posts or even better, if moderators could force a block between two members to stop a lot of problems.

I have only seen things in the forums, and in society in general, getting substantially worse than when I first voted for this suggestion. If I could vote this up ten times, I would.

If it was, the thread would have been prefixed with [Implemented] and moved to the closed suggestions forum.

The lack of an advanced ignore/block feature in 2023 is probably the weakest aspect of Xenforo. People expect to be able to control whose posts they see, what threads they see, and what forums they see. Give the users complete control over their forum experience and let them customise it. The ignore feature in Xenforo is straight outta 1998.

A former admin from our site is spinning up his own somewhat competing site and the OS software he is using doesn't seem to even have an Ignore (which is why I left it fairly quickly when I realized I could not ignore the ravings of someone we banned a couple years ago who has resurfaced there). So I have come to appreciate the Ignore we have but, yeah, something more thorough like a true Block would have benefits.

Usually when someone 'ignores' someone, what they really want to do is block them.
Absolutely not. The word ignore itself implies a one-way action. A ignores B should not mean A ignores B and therefore B has to ignore A.

The idea of A enforcing B to have to ignore A (without their consent to do so) seems ridiculous.

I can see how a totally separate feature ("block" seems to be a good word) might be useful for some admins when, for example, B is stalking A - but even then it is something we would deal with more diplomatically I think. It has nothing to do with the ignore function.

Should be a separate suggestion for a separate feature.

Yes, ignore implies that you are ignoring a SPECIFIC individual - but there are cases where "ignore" does not play well.
A BLOCK function would also be VERY beneficial... so that you can't see them, and they don't see you. There really needs to be two options. Sometimes there are certain idiots that will continue to "troll" after you ignore them, realizing that their posts show up as "You are ignoring content by this member" and banking on curiosity to get the person ignoring them to bypass it.
I usually don't ignore people.. and the ones that win the twit award to get on that list, I really don't want to see crap from them nor have them see anything from me that they may try to troll.

So you don't want to see the user's posts as well as not allow the user to see your posts? Am I getting this right?
we want to be left alone. Ignoring them doesn't work because they can still see your posts and be annoying towards you.

With the amount of trolls on here going after your work the ignore list doesn't cut the mustard at all as they can still see your posts.
Kind of hate coming on here having to report or deal with some stupid person who doesn't want to stop harassing or bullying me all the time. Do something about them before this whole situation gets worse. I'm sure you dont' want the courts involved because all they are doing is stalking the living crap out of people.

Quoting myself from elsewhere:

a proper functioning block system would be a dream come true! drives me crazy that ignoring someone means you still see their content and vice versa, or that if you have someone ignored it shows up in the thread list, ideally it would just skip to the next person who isn't ignored.

also hope they consider allowing users to filter aka "mute" posts with certain words like Twitter.

---

My forum is a mental health forum, being able to curate your content and avoid certain individuals is critical for maintaining the peace. And ignoring should not be something that punishes the user from engaging in the forum, to have the most popular user ignored shouldn't mean every node says "Ignored" on the forum list.

A proper ignore/block system that serves to protect the individuals who use forums from seeing people and content is necessary in the current digital climate. People will leave forums if they feel they can't escape content and individuals that disturb them. This isn't about politics or free speech, it's about peace of mind.

Addons are not the answer either, as the only one that worked barely ever did and would inform people they were being blocked any time they'd see "Ignored thread" pop up on the forum list. The only existing addon that had a block function is now gone and the creators have always been ghosts.

My moderator panel has the following features that improve the ignore function. I am not in favor of having users determine who reads their posts but I am ok if an admin decides.

• Force ignore users
    • Force one user to ignore another user
    • Two way force ignore option
    • Users that are force ignored cannot remove force ignore
    • Reporting shows who set force ignore and the date

My moderator panel has the following features that improve the ignore function. I am not in favor of having users determine who reads their posts but I am ok if an admin decides.

• Force ignore users
    • Force one user to ignore another user
    • Two way force ignore option
    • Users that are force ignored cannot remove force ignore
    • Reporting shows who set force ignore and the date
too much work. Ignoring people means they can still read your posts

Top Bottom